Is Epic V10 outdated ?

8 years 5 months ago #14029 by AR_convert

antonsa wrote: And getting back to the thread.....the Epic V10 is NOT outdated and still provides many paddlers with a great deal of fun especially when there is a big down wind.

Question answered - thread closed (I hope).


They may not be outdated but the tide of popularity is changing in our part of the world where you can pick up some almost new condition V10 and V10L's really cheap, only 2-3 years old for almost half the purchase price !!!

It's great to see second hand prices starting to fall for those just getting into surfski and for those of us who want to own more than one ski, not so good if you buy a ski not well suited to you and you want to sell an otherwise good ski to change to another one. A very good reason for extended demo paddles in all conditions.

Current - Carbonology"Flash" Vajda "Infusion II K1" Previously ~Finn"Molokai Mk II"~Knysna "Vantage Pro K1' Carbonology "Vault"~Epic"V10L & Sport"~ [/b]Fenn"Mill Double" ~Spirit"PRS"~Finn"Affinity"
Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14030 by Boyan
Replied by Boyan on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
sorry, this is turning into a petty discussion and I can't spend more time. In general it is good to remember that fitting larger shoes and installing hatches is not a sign of better engineering. When Epic designs new models we have all those options ahead of us and we also have all the solutions. keep well.

Epic Kayaks Europe
Regional Manager
Marketing and Distribution

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14034 by drjay9051

water2deep wrote: buy a fenn :evil:


I just may as a second ski ! Looking at the Swordfish. Why: Because they can be ordered with a wide bucket for heavyweights like myself.

So I am an Epic fan but I leave my options open. I'll paddle what fits me.

I don't believe the more "advanced" Stellar skis have a wide bucket option, Wesley. If they do I would even consider a Stellar. I am not prejudiced toward Epic just happen to own one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #14035 by Kayaker Greg
I mentioned the price Ninja Turtell because that's part of my story, not because I give a rats about the politics of Epic vs Flying Eagle.

As for premium products, for me the Stellar is a premium product because it has the features I desire, as opposed to the Epic range. Why would I pay an extra $1000.00 + for a brand that does not have the features that are important for me in a similar layup? That's just stupid. Like I said earlier in this thread, my Epic was a fine ski quality wise, I am not anti Epic in anyway. I sold my Epic that was only 3 months old and like new and lost $1350.00 off the value because it did not work for me. If it did, I would not have sold it. Nothing about topping tall poppies or detracting from Epic, I'm sure they work for many people, but not me. Even the retailer I bought my Epic from understands why the Epic does not work for me because I told him why. There was no getting around it and I tried because I didn't really want to loose money on a near new ski and have to buy another.

The two Stellars I have are not copies off any Epic, they work for me that's my story, I don't have a dog in this fight, that's all.

And btw, there have been plenty of races won on Stellar here in NZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14037 by Rightarmbad
My Fenn Elite carbon cost me a chunk less than my heavier and more fragile ultra V12, let alone a carbon one.
Those price differences are not for a superior product, just a price gouge by the importer as prices compare much better in other countries.

The Stellar SES is a truly unique boat and one that fills a gap that no other manufacturer has currently filled.(but I'm thinking that it will have some competition in the near future)
All of the Stellars I've seen have been better finished than Epic and I have not heard of a single problem with any of the boats.

Stellars may be underrepresented in races here in Oz because they simply don't have a bunch of paid stars running around in them and simply haven't been around as long.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #14069 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
epic v10 won this last weekends race on the Gold Coast, so not bad for 'old technology'
sure it is mainly due to the engine - Corey Hill
but he was against some good competition in a Fenn Elite SL paddled by Jeremy Cotter!!
we are fortunate to have a great range of skis to choose from nowadays & at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice.

Given we owe some gratitude to all these manufacturers / distributers for their efforts......I am finding RAB's slandering of Epic a little tiresome & predictable - after he didn't manage to manipulate a new boat out of them!

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14070 by cdo
Replied by cdo on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Firstly apology if the wording in my original post here was too strong. I certainly did not intend to start a Epic vs Stellar argument. I just wanted to point out a few personal observations I had after living with both Epic and Stellar skis.
The Stellar when pushed with the thumb shows no give in either hull or deck along its lenght.....unlike the Epics. Given the Stellar has no weight penality over the Epics I assumed this was due to better built/design/engineering. Do not get me wrong, my Epics did not suffer any major structural defects but the Stellars have survived better over time/use.
As for the paddle better this is very subjective I know, however the SEL in particular for me gives nothing away in speed with the V12 and is faster than the V10. The real reason for my comment though is that the Stellar to me feels so much better in that they are more 'planted' and predictable in waves than either Epic.
Would I try and talk someone out of buying an Epic? No....but I would suggest they also look at what else is available and try it.
I appreciate that many love there Epics and respect that. But for me my Stellar SEL in particular gets far more use than my Epics do because of the reasons above.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #14071 by AR_convert

tony h wrote: epic v10 won this last weekends race on the Gold Coast, so not bad for 'old technology'
sure it is mainly due to the engine - Corey Hill
but he was against some good competition in a Fenn Elite SL paddled by Jeremy Cotter!!


While I'm looking to eek out as much speed as I can with my ski choice and making rudder modifications etc I'm jealous of those with the outright fitness and talent to show up at a marathon river race paddling a Fenn Elite or some other banana shaped ocean ski with surf rudder (not an ideal flatwater ski) and whoop my butt :dry: but alas I need all the help I can get as the grey hairs appear ;)

tony h wrote: we are fortunate to have a great range of skis to choose from nowadays & at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice.


here, here, there's no excuse not to be paddling something that feels comfortable for your anatomy and performs according to your skill level!!!

tony h wrote: Given we owe some gratitude to all these manufacturers / distributers for their efforts......I am finding RAB's slandering of Epic a little tiresome & predictable - after he didn't manage to manipulate a new boat out of them!


:unsure: Agreed

Current - Carbonology"Flash" Vajda "Infusion II K1" Previously ~Finn"Molokai Mk II"~Knysna "Vantage Pro K1' Carbonology "Vault"~Epic"V10L & Sport"~ [/b]Fenn"Mill Double" ~Spirit"PRS"~Finn"Affinity"
Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14074 by Rightarmbad
Tony H, I don't want a new ski, I just want the one I got repaired and an assurance that it won't fall apart under me. Failing that, then a new one.

And slander involves untruths, everything I have said is true and is a personal opinion based on my experience.
And it is not over yet.

If you don't want my comments, then stop with the comments against me.


Back on topic:
At the pointy end, the differences really are not that much and mostly involve something gained in return for something lost.

Some skis suit some people in some conditions.
The V10 is a great all rounder and if it looks scary out there, still my go to boat.
It really does cover most bases well.

The ergonomics of the seat is a real strength, apart from a few that just don't suit them, but more do than don't.

It is still probably the most accessible ski in regards to stability that is capable of being competitive with the other maybe slightly more elite boats.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14079 by Ninja Turtell
How about doing us all a favour RAB and GET OFF THIS FORUM.

You forget we all read the slanderous thread you started on Epic a few weeks back - so slanderous that Rob Mousley had the good sense to remove it.

It is clear from the Gold Coast dealer's posts that you are a bloody liar, smashed your ski - because you can't paddle - and were trying to scam a new one out of Epic.

Get over it ... NOBODY cares.

You were even outed on the forum with your real name: Darryl Duck from Currumbin in QLD and still you pollute this forum with hate posts. We have all had enough.

This is not your forum to ruin so get a life or get off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14080 by Rob1
Replied by Rob1 on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Agree 100 percent, go back to rock climbing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14081 by Ninja Turtell
Go back under the rock he came out from ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14083 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Hey Ninja Turtell (Raphaelle -turtle with anger management issues?), real mature Brad. Not.

Some serious lurking plus total lack of any credibility here. Of your 5 total posts, two in view are spitting venom and serve only to lower (somewhat further in relation to this thread) the tone of otherwise reasonable debate on this forum. Wondering whether Rob M won't be casting an editorial eye over a post like yours as it really doesn't deserve to be aired.

Grasshopper should first heed own advice before name calling others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rightarmbad, Geofff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14084 by Bigdog
Replied by Bigdog on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
I'm sorry but I'll have to throw my two cents worth in here. RAB you bang on about telling the truth yet we haven't seen any proof of your 49.9kmph top speed (which as been asked for many times). You say your V10 is your boat of choice when it looks "scary" out there, you must scare easy as a 3yr old creates a bigger wave at bath time than you are willing to go out in. I have paddled with you once and you absolutely crapped your pants and nearly landed on my boat several times, you were a danger to anyone you paddled close to in the choppy (not big) conditions we were in. These were in what everybody else in the group deemed as fair to moderate conditions. You also claim "you are the guy that goes out in conditions that others won't". You speak nothing of the truth so please quit while you are behind.
In regard to the V10, in my humble opinion it has lost none of the appeal since coming onto the market way back when. It handles well and the speed is still up there. Gone are the days where we were limited for choice(on the east coast of Aust). There are a lot more boats now for comparison. The emergence of new manufacturers coming onto the scene over the last few years it is only natural that people will diversify and paddle other craft which may suit them better. It all comes down to personal preference and what you feel is comfortable(fast) for you.

Happy paddling :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14089 by paddlerpete
Big Dog - I am with you mate. I'm a Goldy paddler and I have seen RAB crap his pants in anything bigger than a foot and he is a danger if he does venture out in small chop which is not often because no-one wants to paddle with him. 49.9kmph top speed!! What a load of crap. Just like everything else that comes out his mouth.

RAB this is the end of the road mate - you don't speak a word of truth on this forum so take Bigdogs advice and quit while you're behind.

Watto ... I agree an editorial eye should be cast over a post like Ninja Turtells - he's got it wrong - maggots don't live under rocks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14092 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Lol, guess he's been told.

Shouldn't laugh at reference to editorial eye, maggots etc out of politeness but was a very funny dig. I posted my comment because I dont care for mindless trolling (hmm think that may be redundant); both posts above based on your experiences so. Fair call I'll shut my gob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14129 by Geofff
Replied by Geofff on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
While I think this is a great forum, over the past couple of months there's been an increasing amount of personal insults. Let's talk about skis, not individuals. If someone goes off track use the 'report to moderator' button (I presume it works Rob??) and avoid getting down into the gutter as well.

Let's not ruin a great forum!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14284 by Maar
Replied by Maar on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
I own an epic super elite 7.9kg ski.

I don't think there's a more slippery boat made by epic is there ?

The v10 was epics fastest boat from my research.

I love being able to pick it up with 2 fingers. It's so light.

Have only ridden it on flat water thus far so will look fwd to more open stuff as my skills get better.

Epic v10 super elite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14287 by Paul600
Replied by Paul600 on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Wow,
A super elite V10 to learn your sea skills with! Lucky chap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #14292 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Is Epic V10 outdated ?
Very rare. I think only a dozen were ever made. Wally would know. Helped put one on a car once and the weight was nothing short of ridiculous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics

Waterproof gloves? (4 Posts)

14 hours 7 minutes ago

Bluefin vs Bluefin S (pre-Fennix) (3 Posts)

1 day 1 hour ago
Protected by R Antispam