old v6 or new V6

More
9 years 7 months ago #21328 by hakkum
old v6 or new V6 was created by hakkum
Hi,

I've decided to go for the Epic V6. I really like the concept, the size, the handling of the boat (after a very short test run) and the looks.

However, I have the option of buying a used old V6 (the one without the handles, the old bailer system, the improved foot brace etc) for around 30% cheaper than the current V6 brand new.

Do you think the few design improvements on the current V6 justify buying it brand new, or should I get the old version?

The list of changes to the current V6:
rolandsurfski.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/epic-v6.pdf

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21329 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic old v6 or new V6
It all depends on what you want from the ski, Yes the modifications are a nice addition and does what the packet says.
The hull is the same so speed will not be any different except for the retracting bailer which will make it slightly faster when closed.
The only other addition that is added are the side handles, this is a very nice feature and makes it very easy to handle on land, if you have long arms and can handle the ski that will not be a problem. The steering still works and the front and back handles also still work.
I love the V6 and whatever one you go for you will not be disappointed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hakkum

More
9 years 7 months ago #21330 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic old v6 or new V6
I'd echo what Ranga already noted, and also add that the new V6 adds a retractable spring loaded skeg that drops down below the Trackmaster rudder, operated via a pull cord with ball/jam cleat system, as on a sea kayak. The older V6 had the spring loaded skeg, but it was not retractable via cord.

This is useful, however, if the skeg is fully retracted, the Trackmaster will lock. You can get around this by deploying the skeg just slightly-the jam cleat allows you to do this.

IMO, both the new bailer and the side handles are worth the extra $. The older Epics with a single venturi drained slowly; only when up to speed were they effective. On a boat like the V6, you'll likely always have water in the footwell, and depending upon your body weight, this could be quite a bit. The new bailer allows you to shut it completely, and even better, kick it wide open with a heel for a quick drain, then kick it shut again. This is a wide, ungainly boat to carry. The side handles are a Godsend. This one and the V8 have them now-thank goodness. I have a 35" reach, BTW. I wish my V10 Sport had them as well.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #21333 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic old v6 or new V6
I would go for the new style V6. Those handles are worth every penny. I also would love to have them on my V10S.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21337 by hakkum
Replied by hakkum on topic old v6 or new V6
Thanks for the input.

I will get the new one. I intend to carry the boat from the shore to the house, which is near the sea, without a car, so handles will probably be quite useful to have.

And it's always better to invest your money in a newer product, isn't it?

More
9 years 7 months ago #21338 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic old v6 or new V6
And on the topic of the new bailer - a handy modification is to get a squash ball, cut a small slit in it and slide it onto the handle of the bailer...

It makes it a lot more comfortable to kick with your heel!

The bailer is a joy to use - on flat water you keep it closed, and when you need to, kick it open and it sucks the water out like you wouldn't believe. When you hear that gurgling, sucking noise, kick it closed again.

Whether it's just in the mind or not, you certainly feel that the underside of the boat has less drag and the mental advantage over your none-new-Epic buddies is palpable!!!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: hakkum, Windfred

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #21349 by hakkum
Replied by hakkum on topic old v6 or new V6
Just spoke to one of the Epic representatives. She said they will be offering the V6 in the Ultra layout "very soon". Probably for the next season.

This means it will be lighter by ~5 pounds, right?
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by hakkum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kwhatmough

More
9 years 7 months ago #21465 by partymarty
Replied by partymarty on topic old v6 or new V6
if only the V6 was a little longer - I'd replace my seakayak with one.

I've only owned one 5m boat and I have to say I really noticed the step up to 5.8 and 6+ m suits me. But I'm a bigger guy at 6 foot 2 and about 95kg.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21470 by Chris329a
Replied by Chris329a on topic old v6 or new V6
I have a V6 and sold my Necky Chatham to get it. The handles are a godsend as you pick it up like a suitcase! Being only around 18kg it's so easy to carry.

The bailer as mentioned is amazing. leave it half open in messy seas for self bailing, closed for calmer and a quick kick and speed up will empty it completely flooded very quickly. It will completely empty. I prefer the bow handles too as opposed to the older ones.

The skeg ruddder is brilliant but sometimes in rough seas will come out the back of the wave and you'll lose steering for a fraction but the fact it retracts is a massive compensation.

I don't agree about the comment that it's ungainly compared to a v8 - it's only 1 inch wider?!

Speed wise it's almost identical to the V8 suprisingly, although in my head my ideal version would be 2 foot longer although we have proved there is extremely little actual benefit despite what people say.

Hatches are bone dry and can be accessed by a mate whilst out on the water - I recently did a 19hr / 77 mile crossing of the English Channel from England to Alderney and loved it more after that as it is amazingly comfortable.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21487 by Fuyang Guy
Replied by Fuyang Guy on topic old v6 or new V6
The V6 Ultra is available
The weight is 32 pounds, so it is 7 pounds lighter.

• BlackDog
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22176 by BlackDog
Replied by BlackDog on topic old v6 or new V6
Nice tip about opening the hatch while on the water with help. I do love the storage area. Congrats on your channel crossing!

Latest Forum Topics