V10 Sport for kajak paddler?

More
9 years 3 months ago #23012 by happy paddler
Hi
I am a well trained kajak paddler on the lake (klepper K3x). Next season I want look forward to a surfski. My idea is to buy a V10 Sport Ultra because this type has a really nice design and should be stable enough for an experienced kajaker (??). I would start my training in flat water conditions on the lake. What is your opinion, will I be happy with this ski without go swimming much or is it a too big step for a kajak paddler?
Thanks for feedback
Toni
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23017 by [email protected]
Hi Toni,

I think the V10 Sport would be an excellent choice. I don't think you'll have much difficulty with it, especially if you start in a lake.

Have fun!

(Where do you live?)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 2 months ago #23020 by surfskiforfun
Hi
I did only a few months paddling a 64cm wide dagger before I got my v1os, and that was no problem padling in the lake. I have a black nose, but do not think thats much different.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23028 by happy paddler
Hi
Thanks for your helpful answers. I live in Glarus/Switzerland and paddle my kajak mostly on beautiful lake "Walensee" (east of lake Zurich). The Walensee has transparent clear water with an awesome 10 miles long rocky shorline on the north side. This summer an Epik V10 (or V10s) passed my kajak on the lake very fast. I have never seen such a boat before, because surfskis are not common in our country. Then I looked to the internet and found a lot of informations about this sport. For me the purchase of a V10s would be a challenge I want dare despite my 53 yrs.
Toni
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by happy paddler.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23033 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
Happy paddler,
Good for you! That is a beautiful lake and I agree with Rob.
V10S is a great boat - fast and stable.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23039 by PaddleFaster
Happy Paddler, I thought I would give you some information being that I was/am a kayak paddler also. I also have a V10 Sport.

I originally paddled a shorter, 4.8 meter kayak, for a few years, over many kilometers.

My opinions based below are based on my own experiences.

1. If you have never used a wing paddle...

- Have a bit of a belly

- Have a slower stroke rate of about 60 to 65 strokes a minute. A rate common amongst kayak paddlers.

- Have only paddled kayaks shorter than 5.1 meters

It will probably take most of a full paddling season to get to a point where you feel comfortable paddling the V10 Sport.

2. If you have previous experience with a wing paddle...

- Have learned how to use one properly

- Are physically fit

- Have a stroke rate of about 70 to 75 strokes a minute

- Have been paddling kayaks in the 5.4 meter class and above

I feel that you will probably find yourself comfortable in the V10 Sport very, very quickly. Probably in just a few outings.

Happy, if you have never used a wing paddle, it may be a good idea to buy one and use it a short while in your kayak before you get into and paddle the V10 Sport. This is just my opinion. Other's may offer you different or better suggestions.

Hope this info helps and good luck.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23052 by happy paddler
Hi PaddleFaster
I do not yet have a wing paddle, but I will buy one soon. It would be a good idea to do first some exercises on the kajak before using the wing paddle for the ski. Thanks for advise B)
Toni
Attachments:

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23054 by PaddleFaster
My pleasure Happy Paddler. Might I add that the lake you paddle on looks beautiful in that picture. I think if I ever had the opportunity to paddle in such surroundings, I might just leave the wife and the dog for good and never return home.

Good luck with everything and if you need any input or ideas along the way, the excellent people here have helped many of us kayakers start out in the sport.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by PaddleFaster.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23063 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
Hi Toni,

I started with a surfski about 3 years ago and I had some experience with seakayaks before. I bought a Stellar SR which is more stable than the V 10 Sport. I use it mainly on a small lake near my hometown in Germany even now in the winter.
My passion however is surfing waves and I use every rare opportunity to do so mostly on the baltic sea.
I also went to the Surfskicenter in Tarifa a couple of times and there I had the chance to paddle the V 10 Sport.
When the sea was calm which was not often the case I was comfortable in the V 10 Sport but when the wind and the waves picked up I prefered the stable V 8 any time. I think the Stellar SR is between the V 8 and the V 10 Sport in terms of stability.
I recently upgraded to a Stellar SEI which is faster and also quite stable but I haven´t been in bigger waves with it so far. So it really depends what you are looking for. If it is a big lake where you can get rough conditions you might be better off with a more stable boat if you want to have fun in the waves.

Funny picture with the Klepper K 3x ! It must be quite old ! I think they were one of the first whitewater kayaks made out of Polyethylen. I used to learn to kayak in one of these when I went to school in the late 70s

Greetings

Michael

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23064 by Newbflat
M.v.E.,

I'm courious how the Epic V10 sport compares in terms of stability with the SEI...
I also have an SR and feel bombproof in it but I'm looking for a faster intermediate boat.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 2 months ago #23066 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?

Newbflat wrote: M.v.E.,

I'm courious how the Epic V10 sport compares in terms of stability with the SEI...
I also have an SR and feel bombproof in it but I'm looking for a faster intermediate boat.

Bill

Bill

Well the SEI is definitely faster than the SR which is no surprise and I would say it is a more stable than the 2nd Gen.
V 10 sport. But I am not sure cause I had no direct comparison.
On my first trip with the SEI in calm condtions it felt a little tippy at first but after only 30 min. I got used to it and it felt good. As I said I haven´t had the opportunity to paddle it in bigger waves yet but at the moment it´s very windy here and it gets quite choppy. I haven´t fallen out yet but tried reentry a few times and it worked well but not as easy as with the SR. For me the bucket of the SEI is much more comfortable. With the SR I had to make a customized seatpad. Also the steering is more responsive. It seems that the rudder lines are less flexible.
I am very happy with the ski. It seems to have a lot of speed potential. But I guess I will keep the SR as a rough water boat.

Greetings

Michael

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23071 by happy paddler
Hi Michael & Bill
Thanks for your remarks and the interesting comparison with the
Stellars. Why do I want get a V10 Sport ? I like this Epic ski design ...and the challenge should be - in calm lake water - acceptable for me.

Klepper K3x: I bought 2013 two of them seconhand in excellent condition. In 2014 I paddled about 50 hours on the lake. I like this comfortable boat with its streamlined shape.

Regards Toni

More
9 years 2 months ago #23073 by sammclean
For what it's worth, I'd consider going for something even more challenging, if you're looking at mostly flat water.

I hopped straight into a V10S after paddling touring kayaks only, and sure I fell in two or three times, but it only took a few weeks and I was very stable on flat water. A few months later I wanted something faster so bought a Fenn Elite.

If you're looking to have the boat for a while, I think you could go for a v12. You won't be able to paddle it on the ocean for a while but in flat water you should be OK after a month of fairly regular training - and you'll be expert at remounting!

More
9 years 2 months ago #23075 by happy paddler
Hi sammclean
Your feedback sounds tempting. It is true I want use the ski mainly in the lake for fitness and for faster paddling than in a kajak. Spending holidays with the ski on the sea is not planned next time. The Walensee I paddle normally is calm in the morning and rough in the afternoon due to rising winds. Waves may occur also in the morning from motor boats. Because water in the lakes I paddle is cold and I want not fall in too much I think it is reasonable to begin with the V10S and change to the V12-rocket may be a few years later. Is there a lot difference between stability of V10S and V10 in flat water paddling?
Toni

More
9 years 2 months ago #23078 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
Quite a bit of difference in terms of stability b/w the V12 and the latest V10 Sport. When I shopped for my first surfki, I paddled the V12 and the V8. Found the V8 boring, the V12 too unstable for my skills even on flat water (I could paddle it, but was too demanding and tippy). Ended-up with the previous gen Sport and acclimated to it after a few months to a point where I was not afraid and enjoyed taking it downwind in choppy conditions. Two years later I wanted something faster, got the new V10. Yes, gained new level of balance with it and I'm now faster with it. Does it make a difference for fitness paddling? Nope (I do get more of a workout in it for my core, true, due to the more subtle balance needed). I could have gotten the V12 and feel the same, but I don't fit well in it (seat is too narrow and the legroom too short for me, but now I can paddle it almost as comfortably on flat water as I can the V10). But for fitness and general paddling, I'd grade comfort and fit for speed. So, while I like the V10 better than the Sport in terms of paddling speed and balance point, unless I would be racing it, I'd trade it for a Sport for its better cockpit fit for me.

Unless you have very good balance and are really after top speed, I suspect the V10 Sport would be a better choice. My experience with long-term sea kayakers is that most generally lack the balance needed to progress beyond the V10 Sport, unless they are really dedicated. I recently lent my V10 to someone testing the V10 Sport and coming from a fairly solid sea kayak background. He was almost fully comfortable on the Sport, while the regular V10 was a bit of a challenge for him, even though he did not fall off on flat water. I too come from sea and white water kayak background (nothing special, I can barely balance a racing K1 for perhaps 30 seconds before I tip over). And for me, after 2 years with a V10 Sport I prefer the lower stability of the regular V10 better now. The Sport is relaxing, the 10 keeps me on edge, even though it is not too demanding for me either (I can stop and drink, look about, get something from the bungees just fine with legs still strapped.

The seats of all Epic skis are different too - that would be another thing to consider. The latest V10 Sport fits me better than the latest V10 (which I have, and which fits me better than the older Sport). Again, for fitness paddling with some margin of stability as you describe, the Sport would be ideal if you fit well in it. The overall speed is not terribly important for fitness, but fit is - I am just as happy to paddle the slower 17' Think Eze as I am the faster 21' V10 for fitness (but happier with the lighter and easier to handle off the water Think than the Epic).

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23081 by happy paddler
Hi Kocho,
Thanks for your detailed and precious answer. As conclusion I am assured that the V10 Sport will be a good choice for me to start with surfskiing. Because the lakes I paddle are not all the time flat the better stability of V10 Sport would be of advantage.
Toni

Pics: Lakes in my home area where I paddle
Attachments:

• hulihead
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #23104 by hulihead
Replied by hulihead on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
Beautiful place!

More
9 years 2 months ago #23108 by Bob L.
Replied by Bob L. on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
What would you say the ideal weight and leg lenght are for the V10 Sport?

More
9 years 2 months ago #23109 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
For weight I'd say it would work well for 170-230lb paddler. I'm 200lb or so and it floats me very well. Watching a 220lb paddler in it, it also seemed fine. So it can probably take even more, but you may start losing some maneuverability as the tail would get under water more than intended. It has quite a bit of flare though, so it should handle additional weight well, without losing stability as a ski with more vertical sides would. For leg length, perhaps 38" inseam? I'm 36-37" (crotch to floor) and have perhaps an inch and a half more room barefoot. Don't know what the shortest leg length is.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23112 by Bob L.
Replied by Bob L. on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
My weight is about 175 +/- 2, with 30" inseam, is the V10S to wide for me? I purchased a V8 about 3 months ago and am not satisfied with it. I've been paddling a Seaward Legend with a 21" beam in the ocean and flat water the last three years. I feel comfortable paddling it in both conditions, ocean keeps me on my toes. I thought the V8 would be a good fist surf ski, it's a nice boat but not what I'm looking for. It's going on Craigslist this weekend. Would appreciate suggestions, Epic or other makes. I'm 59 and an active person, never been happy with anything average and always like a challenge.

Latest Forum Topics