V10 Sport for kajak paddler?

More
9 years 3 months ago #23113 by Newbflat

Bob L. wrote: My weight is about 175 +/- 2, with 30" inseam, is the V10S to wide for me? I purchased a V8 about 3 months ago and am not satisfied with it. I've been paddling a Seaward Legend with a 21" beam in the ocean and flat water the last three years. I feel comfortable paddling it in both conditions, ocean keeps me on my toes. I thought the V8 would be a good fist surf ski, it's a nice boat but not what I'm looking for. It's going on Craigslist this weekend. Would appreciate suggestions, Epic or other makes. I'm 59 and an active person, never been happy with anything average and always like a challenge.

Curious.. What's wrong with the V8? It should be a fair bit faster than the Legend and much better downwind. What exactly are you looking for?

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23114 by Bob L.
Replied by Bob L. on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
It's easier to paddle than the Legand, I really like the reduced weight. It's to easy to paddle almost the same as the Legand, almost boring. I'd like a boat that will challenge me now that I can grow into, V8 is too easy.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #23118 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
Think Evo II, new Epic's new V10 Sport, V10, V10L, and the V12 (there is no new version for it)? At your size you will fit in all of them, but I suspect the Think's, V10L's and the V12's buckets might fit you better. All of these (in that order) are a step-up from the V8, with the Evo the closest (a bit less stable but not necessarily faster) than the V10 Sport, and the rest are progressively less stable and faster if you can paddle them well.

You should really try them in the conditions you intend to use them. In calm and slightly choppy conditions I agree the V8 could indeed be boring for someone with good balance. It was for me, so I skipped it. But in bigger conditions and snort period waves, I think it could be quite a blast to paddle (where some less stable skis could be a handful to handle). I actually enjoy paddling the 17' long Think Eze when it is choppy more than I like the V10, which is longer (does not fit as well between short steep wind waves waves). The Eze is a bit less stable than the V8, lighter, narrower cockpit and front half. I don't think it is any faster, just livelier on the water. For bigger open ocean swell I'd go with something longer though.

The above are just the skis I've paddled and am familiar with first-hand. There are many more that are out there (from Fenn, Stellar, Think, etc.)
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Kocho.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24072 by swifty
Replied by swifty on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
I have recently had a V8 and today paddled a V10S Performance and Evo II Elite back to back. The different layups are because they are the same price here in Australia - the V10S Performance is 16kg and the EvoII Elite is 12kg - and I was shopping to a price.

The V10S is not as stable as the V8 but the V8 is something that anyone should adapt to very quickly. I found the Evo II tippier but faster and I think I would prefer that in the future, possibly the much lighter weight and rigidness of the Evo II made it feel less stable. I also felt lower in the seat and the cockpit is a tighter fit in the Evo II.

So... I am getting the V10S - even though it feels like a bit of a tank compared to the Evo II, because at my current level of ability it suits me better.

If you were looking for something a bit more challenging then get a V10 Sport. I haven't paddled a Fenn Swordfish or any other brand intermediate boat. I also have a Fenn LS spec surf ski and it is a beautiful boat so maybe try a Fenn and they're a bit cheaper than the others.

• kobicohen33
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #24080 by kobicohen33
Replied by kobicohen33 on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
Hi Toni. It is better to start with a more stable kayak Like V10 Sport or V8..
Even flat lake..

More
8 years 10 months ago #24083 by happy paddler
I will start my surfski "career" definitively with a V10 Sport I bought a few weeks ago in Berlin, see picture. Must still build an ideal car roof fixation. Then I'm ready...hope it works well :)

Toni
Attachments:

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24419 by happy paddler
In meantime I paddled 40 hours and many kilometers with my new V10S Ultra in lakes. I am very happy with this boat. I started my first hours in calm conditions (flat water, no waves). The V10S has a good stability, great shape, nice speed and is comfortable to paddle. The V10S can also soon be mastered in little waves. I exercised a few times remounting. Until now I never fell out the boat. I will approach step by step to rougher conditions. So the question "V10S for kajak paddler?" I can answer with YES :) . I can recommend the V10S as first surfski also for older paddlers (I'am 54).

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by happy paddler.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24454 by AR_convert
Great to hear! The V10 sport was my first ski too and it is great to be able to really feel confident in a ski and take on rougher water without too many nerves.

Always good to practise remounts BEFORE you need to do one for real. Make sure you practise with PFD on as this often catches paddlers out as some train without a PFD and then in races when they must wear one find they get in the way when trying to remount.

By the way, very jealous of where you get to paddle, beautiful! :woohoo:

happy paddler wrote: In meantime I paddled 40 hours and many kilometers with my new V10S Ultra in lakes. I am very happy with this boat. I started my first hours in calm conditions (flat water, no waves). The V10S has a good stability, great shape, nice speed and is comfortable to paddle. The V10S can also soon be mastered in little waves. I exercised a few times remounting. Until now I never fell out the boat. I will approach step by step to rougher conditions. So the question "V10S for kajak paddler?" I can answer with YES :) . I can recommend the V10S as first surfski also for older paddlers (I'am 54).

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
8 years 8 months ago #24455 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?
Happy paddler it looks like you made a good decision!
In regards to choosing a surfski to move up to from a kayak, the subject of whether you will be paddling in salt vs fresh water and how it affects stability appears to be overlooked. A surfski will be substantially more stable in low density fresh water than higher density salt water. Just an observation and may be a factor for those trying to decide on which surfski to move up to.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24457 by happy paddler
It's true I live in a nice place in the east of Switzerland with two wonderful lakes for paddling my V10S. Unfortunately I have no access to sea. So my surfski will only be used for lakes. But with enough wind and waves the downwind feeling should also be possible.
Toni

Walensee

Klöntalersee
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by happy paddler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
8 years 8 months ago #24458 by Flowmaster
Love the last two pictures, great lake to paddle, on flat water like that, you can paddle about anything. My session from today upwind donwwind force seven with heavy boat trafic, wasssseuhhhhh different. :ohmy:

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

More
8 years 8 months ago #24460 by Rubys Dad
Gorgeous lakes and scenery. Reminds me of my days when I lived in the Rockies. Alas, I did not paddle a surf ski then but making up for it now. In Sudbury area we have a few to choose from and on the cold and windy days it's still a blast to get out and paddle. Ice comes off the lake a little late in the year like May this year...ouch.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 7 months ago #24519 by photofr
That is so cool… 54 years old, and getting into the sport of Surfskis.
I hope you spend many hours paddling it, and enjoying your beautiful area - with more speed, more efficiency, and even more safety than most kayaks.

Your area is one of the reasons I moved back to Europe - after 35 years in the US. SWISS POWER, for beautiful landscapes !

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24520 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic V10 Sport for kajak paddler?

I too am/was a sea kayak paddler (owning a Nordkapp and a Taran) but got into ski paddling in my late 60s. I'm now a regular marathon racer competing on my (skinny/tippy) Stellar SES. Took a bit of practice and a lot of wobbling but now I feel quite secure. I'm now mixing it with the youngsters even though I will be 70 in a few months. Here's a shot of a recent race; I'm the bloke with the orange cap and red shirt in the middle slogging it out with K1s and skis. A v10 is well within your aspirations.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by owenw.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24521 by happy paddler
Paddling surfski with 70yr that's cool...
After nearly 50 hours now on the V10S Ultra since begin of July (and never fell out the boat) I must say this boat was an excellent choice to start with surfskiing (in lakes). May be I will buy in 1-2 year still a second boat. For flat and very calm conditions on lakes I think a V12 Elite would be a great personal challenge.
Toni
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by happy paddler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: owenw

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #24522 by photofr
For a "challenge" on flat water, you may consider the V10 (very different to the V10 Sport). In fact, the V12 is mostly for larger-sized paddlers, and you may actually find the V14 more stable than the V12.

For your second boat, you may just have to come to try them out - especially now that you are getting used to your wing paddle.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 7 months ago #24528 by happy paddler
The V14 feels more stable as the V12, really?

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #24529 by photofr
It will depend greatly on your weight, but yes.
Best thing you can do is try them both.
Both skis were meant for completely different conditions and different paddlers. You must try them because of how different they feel.

The V14, at first, feels tippy… add a bit of speed and perhaps be amazed at its stability.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 7 months ago #24531 by happy paddler
My weight is 75kg plus suit. I will try the boats when I am ready for a second ski in 1-2 yr. In meantime I enjoy the V10S :)

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24585 by happy paddler
Here some pictures of my last trip in August. Rounding the lake (Walensee) was a 32 km long tour, beautiful scenery but very hot in the afternoon. Now autumn will come in Switzerland with colder weather. :ohmy:

see my break stops for drinking and relax

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by happy paddler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

Latest Forum Topics