V12 or V10?

More
8 years 10 months ago #24106 by uodas
V12 or V10? was created by uodas
Hello,
I need help at choosing between Epic V10 and Epic V12. My weight is 243 lbs (110 kg), height is 6'3".
The stability of surfskies, which were mentioned previously is not a problem, because I row with Nelo Vanquih XXL.
I'm more interested in buying V12 because of its speed, but I'm not sure if it won't loose it because of my weight.

thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24110 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic V12 or V10?
uodas

Have you paddled the V12? You might not fit into it - I had a 2012 built V12-Ultra and had to remove the foot plate and put my heels on the bulkhead and attach toe pedals! but I do have reasonably long limbs for 6'2". The V10 has a longer cockpit - (I had one of those too). I found the stability about the same in both...

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
The following user(s) said Thank You: uodas

More
8 years 10 months ago #24112 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic V12 or V10?
V12 can take the weight and is faster than the V10.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24115 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic V12 or V10?
Oscar Chalupsky is taller and heavier than you and always seemed to go well in the v12

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
8 years 10 months ago #24122 by uodas
Replied by uodas on topic V12 or V10?
I've never tried v12 and v10, because i'm not able to buy it in my country Lithuania. It's the main reason why I have to order it without trying one of them. All I know about v12/v10 is your advices there. So I need to know the distance of v12 from the seat and the foot plate. Maybe you know, where I can get kind of this information?

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #24127 by Col Campbell
Replied by Col Campbell on topic V12 or V10?
I would go for the V10 if your 6'3, I am 6'2 & paddled a V12 for 5 years & have just moved into a V14 a couple of months back & am loving the longer cockpit. The foot plate on the V12 was one notch closer than I would have liked, I am also chafing far less in my V14 over the V12.

If you like to stretch out a little go the V10 for sure but in saying that if stability is not an issue & you want speed why not go for the V14.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Col Campbell.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24130 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic V12 or V10?
You have to try them both. I am 6'4" at 190lb and I do not fit in the V12 - foot plate too close and the seat bucket is too narrow for my hip bones. The V10 fits very well size-wise. You being heavier, depending on where your bulk is, might not fit in either! I'd be hesitant to say that because Oscar paddled a certain boat it would fit you too - Oscar mist have broader shoulders and narrower hips than me and several other "regular" folks around my size who find the 12 and even 10 too tight at the hip bones.

As for stability, the V12 is a bit of a step-up but not huge on the V10 for me. Folks more experienced than me say the 12 is faster for them too. The V10 I do not feel is designed to handle much over 200 lb - front and tail sink more than I like on my Performance layup - with me in it: the nose catches leaves, the rear is reluctant to turn on flat water... I don't remember how the V12 was in that regards as I have paddled it very little due to the tight fit.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24132 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic V12 or V10?
I measured my v12 with the footplate at full extension. Horizontal distance from midway up the footplate to the point even with the deepest point in the seat is 100.5 cm. the width at the top of the bucket is 40.5 cm from inner wall to inner wall. Obviously that is not where your hips contact, but just to give an idea.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
8 years 10 months ago #24137 by nell
Replied by nell on topic V12 or V10?
V12 bucket is slightly narrower at the height of the hip bones than the V10. Also, the under-the-knee hump is slightly higher in the V12 and that might feel a bit too confining to those whose other boat is a K1.

I race both and feel the speed is about the same up to about 8.0 mph, i.e. the effort to go that speed. Above that speed, the V12 just seems to go slightly easier through flatwater and takes a hair less energy to go from 8.0 to 8.4 continually compared to the V10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fuyang Guy, uodas

More
8 years 10 months ago #24142 by uodas
Replied by uodas on topic V12 or V10?
If the distance is only 100,5 cm, then v12 is too small for me. :(
Thank you all for the answers.

Latest Forum Topics