V10 GT Review & Feedback

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 7 months ago #24553 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic V10 GT Review & Feedback
I wanted to test the boat… and I know what conditions I can handle and where my limits are. It didn't come overnight; I have been paddling SURFSKIS for since 1986 - yeah, it's been a long, long time… (I feel old when I read (anything), but I feel rejuvenated when I get in contact with the water). :)

In all seriousness, I was born in the South of France, and then moved to Hawaii at a very young age. I was rescuing people from the water since Hurricane Eva (1983 - age 15). Just because I do these things doesn't make it right, nor will I recommend this to anyone. The fact is that I can handle such conditions, and the GT delivered EVEN IN THOSE CONDITIONS.

To answer your questions:
I paddle upwind and make every effort to keep the bow perfectly oriented. I will pick up as much speed as possible, and then hit the rudder, turn, and continue with my sprint for about 1 min with the side watching machine. Strokes are super short, and super fast. After about a min, I straighten my boat and continue upwind while easing off on the speed to recover. After about 1 min off, it's back on !

With such conditions, I never EVER paddle with a side wind for miles and miles. I zig zag my way through. With this much wind, the ocean is usually giving me some of the best swells (at least in France) and I always feel reassured that I will be able to come back downwind, and surf DW at will, turning and going pretty much where I want and at pretty much any counter angle.

This will take a lot of practice, and if you are going to try anything like this, do it first in a bay, with less wind and practice it all - a lot.

As far as the weather is concerned:
You should look up Lorient, France and see the weather we're having since Monday morning, continuing on today, and getting even more windy Wed.

It's a good question… but perhaps you should inquire about how I carry my boat alone to and from the water without blowing away. In one word, think: "Windsurfing" - where I let the wind carry the boat for me.

You are welcome to film me… but I can't get anyone to show up to even take photos out there… let alone film crew :)

Watto wrote:

tourfr
SIDEWIND
I needed a day like this… and it came: gusting to more than 65 MPH, let me just say that side-on, it was a bit brutal when gusting (and I most certainly felt it) but let's face it: we do not go into such conditions thinking we are on "vacation" or that we are going to stop paddling. My take: I had zero difficulties for as long as I kept relaxed, and stroke rate descent. I just concentrated on my breathing, and enjoyed the ride(s).

Went out on the Swan River before a squall came through last year and when it arrived there was only one direction to go regardless of intent and that was downwind. Bureau of Meteorology Melville Water recorded 90kmh/55mph/48 knot gusts. Water was wild, crazy, huge waves out of nowhere. I was kinda-sorta paddling (staying alive) getting smashed downwind with a potential 6km walk home. At one point wind so strong (maybe that 48 knot gust) that my paddle coming out of water was smacked forward to hit front deck; I was pushed forward head onto my knees like a big pillow had pushed me from behind. This was Force 9 (Beaufort).

I weigh 85 kilos - how the hell can you paddle sideways or into a Force 11 weighing 30 kilograms less?

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24554 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic V10 GT

MCImes wrote: nice to see pre preg in a ski. Savage River canoe has been using TexTreme PrePreg for 3 years, maybe more. it's super stiff. I mean ridiculously stiff. I want to see a ski in TexTreme. it's the coolest looking fabric I've seen, and super light and super stiff.

Stellar has been using prepreg carbon to manufacture their carbon skis for several years (I had one of their carbon SE's for a few years). It's a great way to create a light, stiff boat (assuming it's laid out properly, etc.). I really like the looks of these new Epic GT's; very sharp in black. It would be nice to see them stay black. Interestingly, some of the outrigger manufacturers are making incredibly light boats using techniques that allow for 1-piece hull manufacturing (no seams or joints). My OC1 is roughly 20 lbs fully assembled; some others are even less. An amazing time for boat manufacturing!

More
8 years 7 months ago #24558 by Steve Hansen
Sounds amazing! Aside from the difference in acceleration, how would you compare it to the Spark? Stability, steering, comfort etc.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24559 by MaxB
Replied by MaxB on topic V10 GT Review & Feedback
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by MaxB. Reason: .

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #24561 by photofr
I'll be posting my comparison between the Spark and the V10 GT really soon, but I'd like to do my normal runs couple more times for more data. So far, I am pretty amazed though.

I do miss the narrow catch on the Spark, especially with my smaller frame / shoulders.
Not missing the Spark-plug at all.

Interesting Fact:
The V10 is not necessarily built for feather-weight paddler, but take a GT and everything is put back into prospective.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 7 months ago #24562 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic V10 GT

MCImes wrote: nice to see pre preg in a ski. Savage River canoe has been using TexTreme PrePreg for 3 years, maybe more. it's super stiff. I mean ridiculously stiff. I want to see a ski in TexTreme. it's the coolest looking fabric I've seen, and super light and super stiff.

textreme.com/

Stellar has been making prepreg carbon skis for several years (I had one of their carbon SE's for a few years). It's not magic, but it is a good way to make a light, well-built ski if the layout is properly done, etc. These new Epic GT's sure are beautiful boats. Interestingly, some of the outrigger manufacturers are making incredibly light boats with techniques that essentially create a 1-piece hull (no joints or seam lines). My OC1 is roughly 20 lbs fully assembled; some are even less. These are awesome times for boat manufacturing!

More
8 years 7 months ago #24563 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic V10 GT Review & Feedback
tourfr,
Thanks for the great article. The new lightweight technology
is really exciting.
Thought though. You may want to consider picking up one of these:
:laugh:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Hansen, jagter

• kobicohen33
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24564 by kobicohen33
Replied by kobicohen33 on topic V10 GT Review & Feedback

tourfr wrote: The V10 Sport would have actually been my second choice… for the seat was (somehow) so comfortable. There was something about the new V10 Sport… but the V10 GT won ... I am super happy with my V10 GT choice.

I like very much your review, it all depends on the athlete, but the V10 GT is one of the boats with the lowest weight.
So the boat "flies" in the wind and ocean waves relatively easy. I have no idea about the price - so do not try to compare/
I went with my V10 Sport following a friend who was on V10 GT – he experienced in DOWNWIND and owns me in fifteen minutes!
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by kobicohen33.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #24566 by photofr

Fath2o wrote: tourfr,
Thanks for the great article. The new lightweight technology
is really exciting.
Thought though. You may want to consider picking up one of these:
:laugh:

That's pretty funny FATH2o… but the reality is that you guys round off things with Force 11, when I talk about taking my GT on tests-runs in Force 9.

I don't need to take measurements, when two weather stations are located less than a 1/4 mile from the point where I usually paddle.

If you guys are having difficulties paddling with a side wind, try paddling instead of taking a reading…
:) (okay, I am really laughing now, because I am about to go out and it's windy as heck and pouring rain outside)

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 7 months ago #24569 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic V10 GT Review & Feedback
Your 65 mph in first post equates to 56 knots which is Force 11. Force 9 is 46 - 55 mph. Are you not confusing kph with mph given your local French weather stations likely to report in metric kmh and knots? At end of recent paddle ins and outs gusting final moments to 40 knots my burly 105 kilo personal trainer paddling partner was almost blown away with his boat (albeit fat V8) - he thought he was going to lose the boat. Just interested how a little guy would deal with 16 more knots out of the water.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #24571 by photofr
I believe to have mentioned 55 mph winds, with some stronger gusts - that's still Force 9.

Next time the wind hits you on the side while on the water, try playing with the rudder. It's not an easy task, but with practice, you can counter some very serious conditions while at sea, and while dealing with the side wind.

As far as carrying the boat, I'll have my wife take a photo of how I carry my ski. Perhaps a picture will explain more. The key, however, is to wrap your hand into the foot strap so that you can quickly counter wind shifts.

The boat should be pointing into the wind perfectly, and should be completely leveled as well (nose shouldn't be up, and tail shouldn't be up either). That too requires practice during calmer days.

If in doubt, ask for more details, or ask a surfski instructor.

Just remember, I am the little guy - but don't necessarily copy what I do without fully understand the consequences.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 6 months ago #24698 by photofr
When it's windy, this is NOT how you'll want to carry your boat.
Hope you guys are smiling too.
File Attachment:

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 1 week ago #25903 by peterscott
Replied by peterscott on topic V10 GT Review & Feedback
Photofr now that you have had this ski circa 6 months are your initial review thoughts much the same?

Are the new white V10 GT's released as of yet other than in the USA?

Woody

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #25906 by photofr
My overall views on the V10 GT are pretty much unchanged, but priorities have somewhat different. Let me explain:

I still feel that the GT has stunning acceleration - obviously, this has a lot to do with the fact that it's just super light. This may be directly related to my smaller frame, and I may therefore be more affected by heavier skis.

The super light weight of the ski directly translates into catching more bumps with more ease. I should also note that I can accelerate to 15 km/h on flat water, granted: just for a few seconds, but I can repeat this step over and over with more ease. This plus the fact that the V10 GT is quite stable means that my overall speed in rough conditions is just faster.

Construction-wise, the V10 GT is amongst the top 3 in the world. Stiffness will blow you away. There are zero weak spots, even though the boat is a feather.

We have had a rough winter here in Brittany, France. I was able to put the boat into super rough conditions, and take it on much longer runs. One of the thing that is now obvious is that the front of the ski (where my paddle enters the water) is much wider than I'd like. I feel that the boat could be narrower up front, and perhaps 1cm wider just behind the seat in order to keep its great stability. However, the current wider front end makes it harder for me to paddle. I feel that I could be far more efficient with a narrower front-end.

For those who can afford a boat this light, and who are comfortable paddling a 10 kilo V12, I'd say give the V10GT a shot. I believe you will have more stability, more acceleration, faster overall speed, and more fun with the GT.

For smaller paddlers in the 40-70 kilos range, I'd say: stop what you are doing, and go check out some of the newer skis that are now available to you. They are now quite a few skis available in the 8-9 kilos range, that are perhaps more adapted for smaller frames.

Bottom line, it was a super fun ski, and I loved its super light weight. I always thought that the weight of a ski would be very important (especially to lighter paddlers) but I am not totally convinced of this fact.

I am ready for something new, SUPER LIGHT, shorter, more reactive, and very playful: a shorter ski.

So as fun as the V10GT was, I will be selling it.

I have no idea as to when the white GTs will make their way in Europe.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by photofr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
8 years 1 week ago #25913 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic V10 GT Review & Feedback
Hi Ludo,

If a little heavier is what you are after, shorter, and better catch area, it sounds like a V10L in ultra.
Have you considered that option?
Cheers

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 week ago #25915 by photofr
The V10GT opened my eyes to how nice a super light surfski can be. I could however live with a ski in the 8-11 kilo range. A V10L ultra would be in that bracket, so yeah, I have considered it. I paddled one for couple of months.

The V10L has a much better catch area, and it is a little shorter, and with its higher sitting area, the ski feels pretty nice (at least for me).

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kobicohen33

More
8 years 1 week ago #25917 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic V10 GT Review & Feedback
You sound like a great candidate for a Stellar SES: a shorter, lighter, narrower boat optimized for smaller paddlers.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 week ago #25918 by photofr
I can see where the SES would be shorter, and provide a narrower catch. However, I fail to see where it would be lighter than the V10 GT.

I am going with the new NELO 560M.
Its weight will be very close to the V10 GT, the catch far narrower. The ski will be shorter, and I'll be saving more than 1000 euros to top it all. Heck: I can't tell you yet how it will handle various conditions with certainty, but it looks very promising.

In the meantime, if someone bigger than me wants to purchase my one-of-kind BLACK & WHITE V10 GT, feel free to contact me. It's available in France.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 1 week ago #25922 by Steve Hansen
Ludo, have you paddled any Carbonology boats or are they hard to come by in France?

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 week ago #25923 by photofr
Nope... never have.
I guess they may be difficult to come by, because I have only seen one in the distance during a race here in France.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Latest Forum Topics