In praise of the first generation v12

More
5 years 10 months ago #31732 by zachhandler
I am curious what others' experience has been with the V12 G1. I have been searching for a replacement ski for my original 2009 black nose v12, but I cannot find a boat I like more.

When I started surfski in 2009, I had been previously using a masters level K1 in waves. I used a sprayskirt and I bolted in a strap over the knees so that I could roll it. I would miss my roll on occasion, and when I missed a roll about a half mile from shore one day and was faces with a long swim with a kayak full of water I knew I needed a surfski. The reason I had resisted getting a ski for so long was that I had sat in the first generation v10 and hated the low seat and high hump. When I finally had the chance to sit in a v12, and it felt perfect and I bought one the next day.

It has really been an ideal boat for me. I cannot find a more comfortable ski. It is as fast as any elite ski on the flat. And in waves it has a bottomless reserve of secondary stability. In my search for a replacement ski I have owned the Fenn elite S and the v12 G2. Both of those skis were more playful downwind, which I liked. But neither was as comfortable or as stable as the old v12, and on the flat they are all about the same speed. I have tried the 560, and found that extremely comfortable and playful, but really lacking in stability in confused stuff.

But my ski will not last for ever. It has been repaired many times and weighs about 37 pounds now and takes on water. I will need a replacement. This would be an easier problem to solve if I was willing to get one ski for the flat and a second one for waves, but I would really prefer to have one ski to do it all. I am considering a nelo 550, despite some of the hardware issues it has (rudder, footplate, lines).

Any other suggestions?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31734 by kwolfe
hey Zach,
I have a 550 and love it. I have also had a SEL and V14. I live inland so I can't comment on ocean paddling however on the river and larger lakes, the wind can really generate some confused slop on certain days. The 550 feels much more stable than the SEL (I only use the V14 on dead flat days). The primary stability leaves you a tad loose but the secondary really gives you time to respond before a potential swim.

I like the 550 specifically for the short period waves we get on the river. Longer skis tend to bridge over both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler

More
5 years 10 months ago #31735 by wesley
Zach, your skill level is exceptional, did you find the Omar's 560 not a good match? Did you try the Ion 3G at the Gorge last year? Do you need that wide of bucket on V12 1G so leaning toward 550L since you tried the 560?

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31740 by zachhandler
Kwolfe - I too live inland. Our nearest downwind venue, 90 minutes away, is a lake with a 20 mile fetch. 3-6 foot waves are typical if it is blowing, but they are steep and there is no groundswell, so think a shorter ski would be better here too.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 10 months ago #31741 by zachhandler
Wesley the 560 was comfortable. I would pad it in from the sides a bit. The stability would probably be fine on a downwind, but a lot of what I paddle is confused 2-3 foot washing machine slop from dozens of oversized powerboats on an undersized lake. One of my greatest pleasues is paddling through that stuff while following a barely visible wave through the chaos. On the old v12 it is effortless to do so. On the 560 i was distracted enough by balance that I could never get in the zone and follow the hidden waves. Basically it turned really fun conditions into not very fun conditions.

The v12G2 and elite S were intermediate between the old v12 and 560 in those sloppy conditions; Doable but not great. Both the elite S and new v12 were stable and fun in true downwind conditions.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #31746 by Dicko
Gosh knows why you like it. I remember going in a race when they first hit the market and passed 3 of them while their owners were trying to remount....and that was in a river. Any way, why don't you just buy another one. Here's one in Oz for $990 Aus. That's about 12cents US I think. It may cost a bit to get home but its still cheaper than a new one.

www.geartrade.com.au/category/305/Ocean-...V12-PERFORMANCE.html
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Dicko. Reason: forgot the attachment

More
5 years 10 months ago #31749 by Henning DK
Don't let hardware issues keep you away from the Nelo 550. The surf rudder is perfect except when there are weeds, but a DK rudder will solve that issue.
However, the 550 is very different to your V12 and much more of an intermediate type of boat, and I am not sure you need that? I have paddled the old V12 and I did NOT like it, and I now have the Nelo 550. It's a lot of fun if you like it's ways, great for downwind, but you don't get the flatwater speed of the old V12. Super seat and position, though, and it may give you the feeling of your masters K1 more than that of your V12.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Nelo 550 - I just don't see it as an obvious V12 replacement.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31750 by Fath2o
Have to agree. Probably best to find another nice "LIGHT" used V12G1.
(37 Lbs. Ouch!) If it ain't broke........;)

More
5 years 10 months ago #31751 by Henning DK
You might want to try the new V10 G3 for something more like the V12, the seat is now more what you are asking for, and the speed vs. stability may be just right for you. Plus it catches waves very nicely.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31755 by d0uglass
Interesting reading this because I have the exact same "black nose" 2009 v12, also a little heavy and dinged up, though still watertight, I think.

Curious what your height and weight are and if that is related to how much you like the ski.

I've been doing surfski on this v12 for a couple months and am just now starting to catch up to my buddy who has been doing surfski for about a year and is on a Nelo 550. I think we go about the same pace now 10.5 - 11.1 kph depending on conditions, but I'm more likely to capsize and it takes me longer to turn around.

I've only paddled the buddy's 550 a couple times. It feels quite fast, and definitely quicker to accelerate than my v12, though for me at 178 cm / 75 kg the bucket on the 550 felt a little strange and too roomy. My buddy who is doing great on the 550 is the same height as me but about 15-20 kg heavier and less lean. He has always been 0.5-0.7 kph slower than me in SUP racing and its interesting to me that he's proving so tough for me to catch in surfski.

Stellar SEI 1g

More
5 years 10 months ago #31768 by zachhandler
I am 180cm and 80 kg

More
5 years 10 months ago #31769 by zachhandler
I have located and arranged to buy possibly the last new red-nose v12 G1 on the planet. Epic found one collecting dust in the charleston warehouse. It is a 2010 boat. Been sitting there 8 years!

More
5 years 10 months ago #31770 by feeny
Now that's what I call a solid win-win outcome!

More
5 years 10 months ago #31772 by Dicko
Nice. Good price I hope. Out of curiosity what does a new boat cost in the USA?

More
5 years 10 months ago #31773 by zachhandler
Current price for new red nose epic ski is 3900 US$. That is not what I am paying. Yes, Epic gave me a great deal.

Latest Forum Topics