new V9

More
4 years 1 month ago #36097 by waverider
new V9 was created by waverider
"To fill the gap between V8 pro and V10S" according to Epics release.  Didnt realize there is a gap. Maybe it is to bring the V10S market inline with the convenience of shorter boats?

Any thoughts?
www.epickayaks.com.au/blogs/news/introdu...B-_kXSVSp6cO3HasUifE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #36106 by leolinha
Replied by leolinha on topic new V9
I felt the same about this "gap between V8 PRO and V10 Sport" line.
When the V8 PRO was released in 2016 they said it was supposed to "fill the gap between the V8 and the V10 Sport". Many people found this funny at the time, but now Epic does it again, this time filling half the gap!
I paddled the V10 Sport for one and a half year and then exchanged it for a V8 PRO because I think it is a better boat. I am almost a year with the V8 PRO now, loving it. Based on my experience I can say that V8 PRO and V10 Sport are very similar in stability and speed. The "gap" between the two is tiny, if existent.
It seems that the V9 is a V8 PRO tuned for downwind. A little more rocker, the cockpit is a little tighter, that's it.
I guess that Epic wanted to make an intermediate-level version of the V10 g3 but didn't want to kill the current version of the V10 Sport, maybe because it is still selling well.

Current: Epic V8 PRO, Think Evo 3
Past: Epic V8, Epic V10 Sport
The following user(s) said Thank You: Levi M

More
4 years 1 month ago #36110 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic new V9
I currently paddle a G3 V10, V11, Nelo 560 and 520. I have a new V9 ordered . I had a V8 Pro for little over a year yet sold it as I didn't like the way it handled rough water on Lake Michigan. It was a great flat water ski though. From what I have been told the V9  has more rocker, and slightly less beam than the V8 Pro. For the conditions that I paddle in Petoskey Michigan it should be perfect for big water days.

More
4 years 1 month ago #36112 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic new V9
Baby steps I guess. When I bought my v8pro I thought the v10 sport paddled exactly the same, but I liked the features better on the pro. At the time the gen2 v10 seemed a bit twitchy. Now I'm looking for a g3 v10.  I do like a little more rocker for the rough stuff. After paddling a Necky Chatham 17 sea kayak for years the v8pro was as straight as an arrow. Tends to burry the nose more on a steep wave. I wonder how much difference  there is between the v9 and the g3 v10?

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #36113 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic new V9
Hmmm....
I too can't tell much difference between the v8pro and v10 sport, other than the v8pro is a better boat, faster in most circumstances and has bonus handles. I am pretty certain that any competent v8pro paddler would easily handle a v10sport.

Which makes this somewhat confusing.... Now if they'd done this to the v10 sport we'd be getting somewhere.... 

Had Epic gone the other way and reduced the beam of the v10s from 48cm to 47cm, depth to 32cm and either kept length at 6.1m or even dropped it to 5.8m, given it the bucket and rocker out of the v10g3 and kept the handles - well that'd be a winner, plugging a gap in perhaps a more meaningful direction.

Hey in fact, they did do some customs like this a while ago, I remember seeing a few v10s hulls, in pretty colours, with handles and the g3 bucket, though the hull length and rocker profile was the identical v10s.

Still, I'd love to ty the boat out. Maybe it surfs like a dream! 
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by feeny.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago #36121 by uk gearmuncher
Replied by uk gearmuncher on topic new V9

feeny wrote: Hmmm....
Hey in fact, they did do some customs like this a while ago, I remember seeing a few v10s hulls, in pretty colours, with handles and the g3 bucket, though the hull length and rocker profile was the identical v10s.

That was the V10 Sport 'Special Edition'. I put up a thread or two on here about it a year back. It was a standard hull with a V11 bucket so it could fit the carry handles in and had the seat position moved slightly further forward over the standard one. I (like a few others) thought this would replace the V10 Sport eventually. I then more recently got a tip off that the V10 Sport was about to be replaced by a new boat but then the V9 arrived. I'm not sure though if this is intended to replace the V10 Sport or the V8 Pro or both.

More
4 years 1 month ago #36125 by Cerca Trova
The new V9 is not a replacement for either the V8 Pro or the V10 Sport. The V9 is a ski is designed for Downwind paddling.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago #36126 by uk gearmuncher

Cerca Trova wrote: The new V9 is not a replacement for either the V8 Pro or the V10 Sport. The V9 is a ski is designed for Downwind paddling.

If that's true, expect another new boat to be coming then. I hadn't heard about the V9 but I had about a V10 Sport update (I've also heard about a V6/V7 amalgamated boat design too by the way).

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago #36128 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic new V9
Rocker line still looks kinda flat for a DW boat. I guess its shorter length might compensate for that? $4k USD for a 15.5kg boat is getting pricey!

Maybe available to paddle at The Gorge this year? Im curious to hear reviews as soon as someone paddles it in a proper DW
Attachments:

• 996023127265225@facebook
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago #36207 by 996023127265225@facebook
Replied by 996023127265225@facebook on topic new V9
Mhm was hoping for a longer V6 version to be the V9 :/

More
4 years 6 days ago - 4 years 6 days ago #36439 by Levi M
Replied by Levi M on topic new V9
Cerca - Has your V9 arrived yet? If so, what are your thoughts, especially compared to the V8 Pro and V10 Sport.

I'm a beginner with a Fenn Surge (equivalent to an Epic V11). I've only paddled it around 300kms so far, averaging 9.5km/hr. I haven't fallen in yet but I'm making all the technique mistakes of a beginner because my boat is too tippy for my ability in anything other that perfectly flat water. So I'm thinking about a V9 as well. 
Last edit: 4 years 6 days ago by Levi M.

More
4 years 6 days ago #36441 by Cerca Trova
Levi, my V9 (elite lay up) arrived at the port just recently,  so no I haven't paddled one yet. My dealer I buy my skis from is picking it up on May 2nd and immediately bringing it to me. I cannot wait to compare it to my V10.
I will give you my thoughts soon upon delivery. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Levi M

More
4 years 5 days ago #36445 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic new V9
It sounds like Epic are simply trying to eliminate the confusing S range of boats and are simply going with the V7, V8, V9, V10 etc. Smart marketing move. The V9 replaces the V8s and the V10s in the lineup. Makes sense.-

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 5 days ago #36447 by uk gearmuncher

Dicko wrote: It sounds like Epic are simply trying to eliminate the confusing S range of boats and are simply going with the V7, V8, V9, V10 etc. Smart marketing move. The V9 replaces the V8s and the V10s in the lineup. Makes sense.-

You might be right but I was told that wasn't the case and now all of the boats are currently listed on Epics site.

More
4 years 5 days ago #36449 by Cerca Trova
I think the V8 Pro,  V10S, and the V14  are more important in the line up now than ever as the V9, V10, V11, and the G2 V12 all designed for Downwind paddling,  hence much more Rocker. 
Epic IMO is smart here making skis for Downwind,  and flattish water.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36917 by Stefanus
Replied by Stefanus on topic new V9
A Fenn Surge is a very advanced ski for a beginner. Like the V11 it would be very tippy for an inexperienced paddler.

Latest Forum Topics