Epic V5 - Feedback

More
3 years 5 months ago #37661 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
A lot of people around me started with an poly Epic V5 and it is a great introduction to surfskis.  Most eventually upgraded as they wanted something lighter and faster.  Faster doesn't seem to matter to you as you aren't racing.  Lighter may make a bigger difference.  Stability is great, it is an easy transition from a SOT, but more speed.

Never seen the composite V5, but a similar boat in a composite layup is the Stellar S14S.  Poly is great if you're banging on rocks, but otherwise I prefer the lighter weight.  It makes a difference whether you decide to take it out or not.  Much easier carrying a 30-35 pound boat vs a 50-55 pound boat.  So I'd go for the Performance layup myself.

-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
3 years 5 months ago #37663 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
 Epic V5 Owners Facebook Page
These V5 Paddlers seem to have no problem surfing their kayaks. 

Also, Boyan's surfski 600 project/campaign was an elite layup V5.  I believe the whole point of that project was to demonstrate that shorter and wider boats can be as fast/faster and as fun/more fun than "faster" skis.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37668 by Agent009
Replied by Agent009 on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
Yes I am already following that Facebook page and they seem to catch waves/runners with ease and they all seem to love it.

Thanks all.

Looks like a V5 in Performance layup with surf rudder is coming my way.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37766 by Spacehopper
Replied by Spacehopper on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
Having spent a lot of time in the V5 & V7 I would say there's not a lot to choose between them on stability despite the difference in beam. 

In terms of speed on flatwater the V5 seems slightly slower than a 16ft sea kayak (which is about the same for a Scupper Pro SOT). The V7 is noticeably faster. Where the V5 scores is in short messy waves where it'll give a lot of faster skis a hard time. 

More
3 years 4 months ago #37791 by nepatriot
Replied by nepatriot on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
I have a V5 Performance. A V8, also Performance, was my first ski, after moving from over traditional sea kayaks. Had about 3 years or so before selling due to back issue.  Great boat!I went kayakless for a few years then, when better and really missing being out  on the water, found the V5.  My last sea kayak was a Valley Nordkapp LV; beautiful boat! Before that, glass Tempest 165; before that Tempest 170 poly. 

Before I say more, let me se if I might be coming from where you are.  i.e unlike just about everyone here, and most on the sea kayak boards, I'm not a "professional", and paddling is not a "job".  Let me explain that: I paddle because I love bobbing around in the waves, on the ocean (fresh water just doesn't smell right ya know?).  For - gulp - fun.

Now, others might be saying "me too!" and "I'm not a pro, it's not my job". IMHO, if you have a GPS mounted to the deck, and tracking your speed to the second because it a BIG part of  WHY you're out there, you're not having fun.  Like those people on $4K bikes you almost hit with your car on windy country roads, who say the are ostensibly out for "fun". If you refer to what you wear while biking or kayaking as an "outfit", and your ensemble costs more than a decent 12 speed bike, you're not out there for fun.  If it takes as much effort as a job, it's not for fun. Just me...

The V5 is a perfect kayak for fun. 1). the glass one I have is 35 pounds, and at 14 feet can be very easily carried around and put on/off a car. My V8, although about the same weight, when exposed to the wind - like carrying around ocean side parking areas - can be like a sail. At 5'9", keeping the bow or stern of the ground in wind can require care. 2). It can handle just about any conditions, certainly far more than I'll take it out in ... just look at the videos from that guy who helped Epic design if; HE'S a pro. 3). it can keep up with most sea kayakers - unless you run across some of the not-out-for-fun types, in their $4K composition boats and bike pants... 4). it does not require anymore "attention" than 21- 23" sea kayak to keep upright: you can sit back, take in the sights, ride the waves, dangle your feet over the side, take selfies ... all while taking a drink, eating a snack,  5). no tricks or certification needed to get back on it ... in almost any conditions. 6). it's got sa trunk too, so you can take things along.7) it's NOTHING like a plastic SOT: the V5 is a REAL, sea worthy, kayak. 

I feel, like you seem to be looking firm, the V5 for me is not a linear proposition: this  is THE boat for me, Not looking too "beat my time", race, etc, so no trade up.

Compared to my Nordkapp LV, usually considered an "on the faster side" sea kayak, I can get to the same places in about the same time. A little faster than my glass 165, faster than the plastic 170.  The V8 was a little faster, and I'm sure any of the pro's here could have driven it much faster than I did, so if getting there fast is what you're looking for, get a V8. Excellent boat. I was just as "at home" sitting in the V8 as the V5. However, a big guy might have a different experience.  If in the higher end of a boots weight design, a boat can feel less stable vs being on the other end of the scale.

i first rented a plastic V5 for a weekend. That is IMHO, and others have stated as well,  not quite the same boat as the Performance. Tried a plastic V7, which I liked better than the plastic V5, but did not want that weight. From memory and limited time in the seat, I liked the V5 glass better then the plastic 7. I'd there was glass 7 at 35 pounds, maybe by losing the hatch, I might have gone there.

Hope that helps, and good luck. The V5 is not for everyone, but it is for me. 

More
3 years 4 months ago #37793 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
Ever see one of those people out on the water in a $3000 composite surfski claiming to be having fun? Fun is a 7 foot rotomolded sit on top that costs $150 with paddle included. If you think you need more hullspeed than that then you are not doing it for fun. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #37794 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
I've just bought a rotomolded Nelo 510, for sea kayaking; general sightseeing, enjoying rough weather and simply getting out on the water.

I utterly, completely disagree with the previous two posts (in their 'anti light and fast' comments).

Training hard and going fast can be fun. Really good fun. I've had some fantastic days on utterly boring rivers (no scenery, like paddling in a ditch); all I was doing was going out to train, with specific goals in mind (e.g. complete route in x hours). I've also had terrific fun training with friends, doing interval sessions, time trialing or race skill sessions.

This might not be your fun. What you want to be doing might not be my idea of fun. 
Stop insisting that people have to conform to what you think is fun. 
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by mrcharly.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37795 by zachhandler

mrcharly wrote:
I utterly, completely disagree with the previous two posts (in their 'anti light and fast' comments).

My comment is just sarcasm pointing out that in the grand scheme of things even a composite V5 is a super-expensive high-speed performance kayak.

Nobody can decide what is fun for another person, any more than they can decide what food tastes good to another person, what music sounds good to another person’s ears, or what sort of a romantic partner another person should be attracted to.  Unto each their own. It takes away nothing from me if somebody else likes doing something in a boat that I would not enjoy doing myself. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: TimT

More
3 years 4 months ago #37796 by nepatriot
Maybe I needed to put in some of some kind of emoji ... Maybe this will suffice?    ;)

For me, a 35 pound, easy to get on\off the car, composite boat was worth it: that was the only way for me to get back out on the water.  Back and shoulder issues.  Doc approved the weight; physical therapist liked the motion of paddling with the wing.  Unfortunately back kept me off the water all last summer. Looking forward to next!

More
3 years 4 months ago #37797 by nepatriot

zachhandler wrote: EFun is a 7 foot rotomolded sit on top that costs $150 with paddle included. If you think you need more hullspeed than that then you are not doing it for fun. 

Now THAT's a whole other kind of fun!  Just drag it down to the water; drifting around off the dock or beach, cooler & beer by your feet, Maybe a fishing pole.   

Too heavy to car top though. And my kind of fun involves SOME forward motion.  

More
3 years 4 months ago #37798 by zachhandler
Nepatriot thanks for the post though comparing v5,7,8 and I apologize for being sarcastic. Tone of voice doesnt translate well to the written word. Happy paddling!

More
3 years 4 months ago #37801 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
Having gone the full gambit from 9 foot fishing pontoon kayaks through to ICF K1s, I can say there are all different types of fun. Its not all about speed, but doing whatever it is you are doing with maximum efficiency gives maximum fulfilment, If you want to float around fishing, taking photos, picnicking on the water you will do best in a very stable boat with a flat bottom and lots of primary stability. If you enjoy glide and feel, freeriding on the waves you want something light and fast. If you want to cover large distances and go far and wide you want and efficient design and efficient paddling style. If you want to go camping then you want something that can carry lots of gear.

Unfortunately no boat fills all these and everyone is a compromise. The one thing that is not debatable is that paddler efficient comes only from mastering these tippy boats, which translates back to any craft you may choose, making anyone of them more capable, and raising the threshold where you are breaking into a sweat just cruising along.

What you settle on is what ticks all the boxes for your particular gig for many it is the sheer "run of the boat' which is simply not experienced with less efficient hulls. PBs and the like are simply benchmarking your ability levels (and a bit of ego feeding), and not necessarily what you chase every time you head out for a paddle

More
3 years 4 months ago #37803 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic Epic V5 - Feedback
I think a big part of what is enjoyable is what your paddle mates are paddling.  If they are on fishing kayaks and you zoom on head you'll feel you always are waiting around.  If they are on rec boats likewise.  If they are on regular sea kayaks then the V5 composite is a great choice.  If they are on 18'-21' surfskis, then you'll be struggling to catch up.

A lot of people in our area start out on the V5 plastic.  They upgrade to something like the Stellar S16S or Epic V6 so they can keep up with others and be competitive in races.  If no one around you races then the V5 will work just fine.

-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
2 years 8 months ago #38855 by balance_fit
Replied by balance_fit on topic Epic V5 - Feedback

Agent009 wrote:
Looks like a V5 in Performance layup with surf rudder is coming my way.

Just getting reacquainted with the editing process here, please excuse the double post 

Hope I'm not late. Have you got your V5? 

I have the rotomolded one. And have a few perspectives to share if you need them.

Cheers!

Simple, not easy.

Latest Forum Topics