When is a ski unrepairable?

More
2 years 5 months ago #39207 by TC SURF SKI downunder
Hi, I note a lot of expertise on ski repair. This ski probably provides a whole new challenge. The ski is a 2 year old Epic ELITE (Black hull with White tips - 10.5kg). It was t-boned in half by a 28 foot boat (driver blinded by sun glare). When I floated to the surface - I noted the front of the ski was pointed up wards on one side - the back pointed upwards on the other side (yes probably 90 degree break). After pulling ski from under boat - the skipper towed ski to near shore. It took me & 3 others maybe 10 minutes to get all water out without doing anymore damage. When I got home 15 minutes later - I rinsed the ski with fresh water - which I repeated twice. 

The bottom hull has extensive damage. At 3 points the hull has breaks along the width or around the ski. The worst one goes from the top deck join all the way to the other top deck join)  - and maybe 5-6 breaks along the length of the ski - these being 1 - 2 metres in length. Funny - the top deck almost looks perfect!

I am sure some will suggest a repair is possible. The question is - can it repaired without adding any extra weight (10.5kg) and can the repair be of the same strength as original

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #39208 by MarineO6
Not sure of the laws in Oz, but isn’t the boat driver pretty much 100% at fault thru negligence and therefore responsible for replacing your ski? If he balks, there is probably some equivalent of small claims court that we have in the US. 
In terms of repairs that don’t add to the weight and keep the same strength, I don’t think you can have both. I’ve repaired a lot of surfboards and you will need to add layer(s) of cloth (fiberglass, kevlar, CF, whatever) and a laminating agent (epoxy, polyester resin) and the weight will have to go up since you won’t be removing any of the structural material currently on the boat. And it won’t be as strong as the original.
That being said, someone will probably have a way to do it that I’ve never heard of!

More
2 years 5 months ago #39209 by TC SURF SKI downunder
Thanks Marine 06. Yeah we have similar laws - and because this was a commercial fishing boat - the boat must have insurance (our laws are pretty simple - most important are swimmers, then human powered craft (us ski paddlers), then wind powered, then motor powered (although shipping in channels & ferries all have right of way).

But the question is - will the Insurance Assessors go for REPAIR or REPLACE? Of course I'd prefer REPLACE. Not only do I want to keep the ski at 10.5kg, but I also want the strength so that if its a downwinder - I can rely on the ski. AND - I paid for a new ski - and a repaired ski ain't worth the same. 

Attachments:

More
2 years 5 months ago #39210 by tve
Replied by tve on topic When is a ski unrepairable?
Yikes! I'm glad you survived!!!

More
2 years 5 months ago #39211 by TC SURF SKI downunder
Yeah very lucky!

More
2 years 5 months ago #39213 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic When is a ski unrepairable?
Everything is repairable, but not cost effective.

I have done one in exactly the same situation. Person was ridden over by a speed boat in Hong Kong, also an Elite Epic.

As for the same weight, that would be impossible, strength? 100%. If not, what's the point.

The pictures do not show me enough. However I have repaired skis that have been in 3 pieces. The strength is all internal and is a very lightweight part of the repair. As it turns out making it pretty adds the most weight. 

As for insurance, it's all about cost and what the customer wants. But what you can get is a payout and then get the ski repaired and have a very light repaired ski that will be sellable if you don't want to use it. I usually make the call to repair or not to repair by what the ski would sell for after the cost of repair. ie. Repair cost $1000.00 v selling cost $1000.00 is break even, but the ski will still be lighter than an Ultra so would be worth more than $1000.00 so I would repair it.

More
2 years 5 months ago #39214 by TC SURF SKI downunder
Thanks Ranga. Good points. My hope is insurance will replace the 2 year old boat. But we'll wait and see. 

More
2 years 5 months ago #39215 by jsapan
Replied by jsapan on topic When is a ski unrepairable?
IANAL and definitely not a kiwi one, but I would imagine the legal aspects are the same there.  There also may be a difference between what the insurance company will give you without a fight and what you’re legally entitled to.

As other folks have made clear, a repaired ski would be heavier.  You’re entitled to a ski of the same condition and quality as yours.  The added weight of a repaired boat means they cannot give you just repair costs or have your boat fixed because the end result would not restore your boat to its pre-accident condition.

Generally, you should expect them to offer the resale value or replacement value of your ski. 

More
2 years 5 months ago #39216 by jsapan
Replied by jsapan on topic When is a ski unrepairable?
IANAL and definitely not a kiwi one, but I would imagine the legal aspects are the same there.  There also may be a difference between what the insurance company will give you without a fight and what you’re legally entitled to.

As other folks have made clear, a repaired ski would be heavier.  You’re entitled to a ski of the same condition and quality as yours.  The added weight of a repaired boat means they cannot give you just repair costs or have your boat fixed because the end result would not restore your boat to its pre-accident condition.

Generally, you should expect them to offer the resale value or replacement value of your ski. 

Also, let’s say they do offer to cover repairs of your boat.  In many places you would also be entitled to be compensation for the reduced resale value of your boat due to having being damaged and repaired. 

More
2 years 5 months ago #39217 by TC SURF SKI downunder
Thanks JSAPAN. Good points. Given it was 100% the fault of the other party - and they have insurance - then insurance should cover it. 

My question is what is the typical / generally agreed perspective on repair. I think what I've picked up from this group and others is YOU CAN ALWAYS REPAIR - but at what cost? Cost in $$$$ for the actual repair AND Cost in weight increase AND Cost in loss of resale value (whether we like it or not - a repaired ski should not be the same value as a unprepared ski). An additional cost is structural integrity "peace of mind". Can we have the same surety for a ski thats unrepaired vs a repaired ski. 

In high users of carbon (e.g. Formula 1 or Elite Bikes) - when something carbon has an impact - its usually throw away. Sometimes it comes to the specific item (say on a bike - handle bars or forks - through away where a rear wheel stay maybe get ok for a repair). 

More
2 years 5 months ago #39218 by waverider
Keep in mind if they offer you "market value", you are stuck with the problem of trying to find a secondhand equivalent replacement, and in Aus atm thats no easy thing. So you would probably have to order new (at a loss) and again may be on back order forever. So you also have to factor convenience into it. Dont know if you have access to a good repairer nor how long that path would take. We are coming into summer, so not the best time to be without a ski. You may end up having to buy a replacement of some sort just to get back on the water then either resell it or the new/repaired one when its all done.

More
2 years 5 months ago #39219 by TC SURF SKI downunder
Thanks WAVERIDER - all good points. 

Latest Forum Topics