Inserting new tubes and rudder lines without cutting a hole in the ski

More
1 year 10 months ago #39685 by Oopsla2
I just want to put it out there that I replaced my rudder lines and tubes without cutting the hull open. I will be making a document for people to follow and or improve on. At the moment I was unable to secure the tubes to the underside of the stern deck. The tubes are taught. There is none of of the slappy lines going on when you pull on the line.

Also it it is very easy to run a new line from the rudder well to the cockpit if the line is gone and or tubing is missing. Use a small steel nut and some Spiderwire. You can pull the steel nut from the rudder well to the cockpit with a strong neodymium magnet. (This is after both ends are clear of tubing and fixtures.)

You will need to buy new "cockpit line feeders" from Epic. For the stern I used flange bushings. The tubing I used was the poly... irrigation tubing. I want to make this a "how to" on the web as I know a lot of us have been dealing with leaky lines.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #39691 by Ranga
Hi, I have been doing this for many years but am concerned you said you used poly...irrigation tubing? As long as it's NOT polyurethane you should be ok, most of the problems I have to repair is from the polyurethane tubing breaking down over time and falling apart.
I use high grade 6mm Nylon high pressure air line, can't stretch it very much and stays taught over time and does not break down.
Most manufacturers use nylon, but for a time some used polyurethane at their peril, well at the customers peril as it is well out of warranty by the time the problem occurs.

More
1 year 10 months ago #39692 by Oopsla2
Hi Ranga!

I was recommended poly from a certain kayak/ski manufacturer when I was going to take the plunge. I certainly give great weight to your suggestion and will source some new materials. My real aim or goal is to demonstrate that with a few parts these can be replaced quickly and cheaply by the owner. It'll run maybe 40 dollars in materials. I have no idea what shops are charging to replace them.
From the people I talk to they don't want to invest a lot of $$$ in an old ski. I liken it to when do you stop taking the auto to a dealer to fix it. The fixes add up to more than the car is worth. A little how-to on replacing and then suggestions on good products such as what you said we can make a ski go further down the road. I'm good with trying this 6mm Nylon high pressure air line. Thanks again.

More
1 year 10 months ago #39706 by Oopsla2
Ranga,

For better or worse here is my mess:

I was told that nylon tubes have a habit of stretching. Not sure about that. Anyways I have done my V14 and a friend's V8. No real complications yet. His actually had its guts (tubes/line) stuck inside. I should have tried to dig these out. Need to do that V10 next.

Anyway, please check out the video if you have time.

Thanks,
Oops
The following user(s) said Thank You: qmento

Latest Forum Topics