Leash Attachment

More
15 years 4 months ago #2630 by mbuck428
Leash Attachment was created by mbuck428
As a paddler who has paddled most of the new era skis I have wondered why the manufacturers as a group have not addressed this issue. Jude has done a good job with the HUKI skis, and with some of the older double footwell skis it is not too bad to attach a leash. However, with all of the new single footwell skis I wonder if the leash being attached to the footstrap will result someday in having the whole adjustable assemble being at risk in a bad wipeout. Perhaps creating a few alternate anchor points would be a good move for the manufacturers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #2631 by bobmoffatt
Replied by bobmoffatt on topic Re:Leash Attachment
Think EVO's and Legends have these attachment points as standard.
They seem to work quite well.

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

More
15 years 4 months ago #2635 by txbuckeye
Replied by txbuckeye on topic Re:Leash Attachment
I've added some stainless hardware to the structural part of the footboard to anchor my leashes to. It's worked very well and is very solid. Easy installation also.

More
15 years 4 months ago #2637 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re:Leash Attachment
Why not just attach the leash to the footstrap?

More
15 years 4 months ago #2639 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:Leash Attachment
I feel safer anchored to the boat than attached to something that is attached to the boat...

More
15 years 4 months ago #2641 by yhomas
Hiro wrote:

I feel safer anchored to the boat than attached to something that is attached to the boat...

I think that what you mean to say is that you feel safer being attached, via a velcro connection to the end of your leash, which is attached to the main body of your leash, which is attached to the other end of your leash, which is attached to some leash mounting point which is attached to the boat--rather than being attached via a velcro connection to the end of your leash, which is attached to the main body of your leash, which is attached to the other end of your leash, which is attached to your footstrap, which is attached to the boat.

I think that in this case, your feeling is misguided.

More
15 years 4 months ago #2642 by mbuck428
Replied by mbuck428 on topic Re:Leash Attachment
The reason why I wrote the post in the first place was one to express concern regarding being attached to the adjustable footbrace assmebly, whether by the footstrap (which I currently do) or via some hardware. The concern was if the heavy strain on the assembly due to a wave wipeout might cause problems.

More
15 years 4 months ago #2643 by txbuckeye
Replied by txbuckeye on topic Re:Leash Attachment
I've not heard of any instances that an adjustable footbrace assy has broken with a leash attached to it. I do anchor to the main structural part of it myself because of the enhanced integrity in that location. I hesitate to use the footstrap mainly because of the higher possibility of material degredation over time. Also I'm just not keen on attaching to a two or three piece adjustable strap. It also may cause discomfort on your feet to have a leash rubbing under the strap. If you're talking about possibility of breakage in a surf condition I'd highly recommend not using the leg leash while in the surf zone. In the small surf where I live I still use a paddle leash as to keep the boat from hitting someone on shore. No issues so far.

More
15 years 4 months ago #2645 by Hiro
Nice point yhomas, but I still believe that more parts/connections = more possibility of leash failure.

mbuck428, I second txbuckeye : Don't ever use your leash in the surf zone. The footbrace system is stronger than your knee/ankle attached at the other end of the leash...

Another point about lack of leash anchor point is that I think we pay a lot of money for a ski; a leash is an essential safety item, nothing is specificaly built on the ski to attach the leash to... Doesn't it sound like something's wrong ?

More
15 years 4 months ago #2646 by mbuck428
Replied by mbuck428 on topic Re:Leash Attachment
Good points Hiro. Our surf zones in Hawaii are not a place to have a leaseh, but there are other times close to them or near rogue waves in our channels that o\you keep the leash on. My point is an attachment point would be easy to incorporate in the manufacturing stage. By the way, did you paddle in the Tahiti Surfski Races last weekend?

More
15 years 4 months ago #2647 by Hiro
A bad wipe out (surfing) left me with an injured meniscus, and a wouded lateral ligament 3 weeks ago... so no surfski race for me, and no surfing either...:unsure:

More
15 years 4 months ago #2648 by [email protected]
Kind of butting in at the end here but...

Apropos of disconnecting your leash in a hurry when you approach surf, I've modified my Epic ankle leash so that it has a snap lock hook on it (from yachting) that releases instantly when you pull on the one side.

I found the mini-carabiner awkward to undo and fell off once when fiddling with it. The snap hook is way easier to undo.

The Think skis (Evo at least) have a proper anchor point especially for the leash. On my boats I've always used the foot strap.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #2649 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re:Leash Attachment
Have had a few people e-mailing looking for pics of the leash point on our skis.

Here are a few photos.

Daryl put a lot of thought into all aspects of safety on the range when designing it, small items like the leash point help to add up to making the skis as safe as possible for paddlers.

[Editor: See below]
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Stew.

More
15 years 4 months ago #2652 by yhomas
mbuck428 wrote:

The reason why I wrote the post in the first place was one to express concern regarding being attached to the adjustable footbrace assmebly, whether by the footstrap (which I currently do) or via some hardware. The concern was if the heavy strain on the assembly due to a wave wipeout might cause problems.

If there is really enough force pulling between your leg and the boat, I think that you will be quite glad if footrest breaks loose before your leg does.

I have had a very hard pull on my leg just from a small ~1 meter breaking wave when I neglected to unstrap my leash--this was not enough to cause injury, but it was enough to really get my attention.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #2654 by [email protected]
Here are the pics:

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by [email protected].

Latest Forum Topics