V10 Sport RUDDER in a V10 or V10L

More
15 years 2 months ago #2861 by PLoni Paddler
Has anyone tried the v10Sport rudder in the v10? Just wondering what it would do to the stability and feel of the boat.

Having moved from the v10 sport to the V10 recently i miss the stability of the sport. I am considering a return to the Sport, for the speed gained in not falling in when its rough. The reviews on the two boats seems very close...

I would have thought the v10sport rudder would be pretty good in the v10.i find the V10 rudder very flighty compared to the system on the v10 sport... I have got a sport rudder for this weekend and will give it a goes...

anyone tried this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2862 by superted
The V10 rudder (elyptical) is much more responsive which is probably catching you out when it bites (after you have had to much peddle applied). Being a longer rudder it can be more stable as it holds its line better and is better planted (its longer and more area).

(I run a elytpical rudder on my sport and recently tried the standard rudder back on last week). Flatwater not much difference. 3ft plus the standard rudder was to slow to change direction, broached and not as stable as the ski got moved around more. The Sport being a shorter ski i think the eleptical rudder is more repsonsive on this ski then the V10.

Have you checked the angle of yr foot peddles? maybe lean them forward a little.
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by superted.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2865 by [email protected]
Last year I paddled the V10 Sport extensively in downwind conditions and quickly swapped the Sport rudder for the elliptical rudder because it worked so much better in the waves.

I spoke to Greg Barton about it and he said that Sport rudder is essentially a de-tuned rudder that bites the water less and has less turning moment - giving the paddler the feeling of more stability.

The rudders are interchangeable so you can put the Sport rudder onto the V10 and it should give the feeling of more stability. Once you get used to the V10 however, you'll probably want to go back to the big rudder if and when you go out in downwind conditions.

I found that the V10 Sport with the de-tuned rudder tended to broach easily in the waves because the rudder is shorter and pops out of the water easier.

Have fun!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by [email protected].

Latest Forum Topics