Older South African v10

More
15 years 1 day ago #3094 by Missourikayaker
I am about to pick up a used older South African build epic v10 in performance layup. Have there been any changes in the v10 overtime???....I know the basic hull is the same and that they are produced in China now (my other Chinese built ski is very well done)....did other things change over the last 10 years...such as steering system, rudder location, etc.???

Also anything special to the South African build on the v10 worth knowing or looking for??

Thanks

Bryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #3095 by [email protected]
One major change was the shape of the rudder. The new V10s come with an elliptical rudder that is far more efficient than the original shape.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 11 months ago #3108 by giff06
Replied by giff06 on topic Re:Older South African v10
The fit and finish are much nicer on the new V10's. THe foot and rudder adjustment system seems to be improved also. That being said, I own a 2005 S.A. built V10 in Carbon (This is the layup they seemed to have the most trouble getting perfect) and love the boat. Unless I damage it beyond repair I intend to keep it a long while.
Ed Gifford
Toms River, NJ USA

More
14 years 11 months ago #3126 by Missourikayaker
I got the boat....performance layup....it is the boat I rigged for flatwater (article posted on this website)...very impressed with the boat...when I cut the hatch out...the honeycomb and vacum bagged hull is light but really, really strong. This boat is river tough...I had a carbon ski and it would dent when I just looked at it funny.

This epic is perfect for my application....and I love the way this boat paddles...very fast...yet no where near as twitchy as other ski's I have used.

Pleased.

I am about to fabricate an eliptical rudder for lake paddling (i.e waves)....what would you suggest for 2-3 foot waves....I will need an understern (kick up rudder will come out of the water too often)...but a 9 inch seems overkill....thoughts?

Bryan Hopkins

More
14 years 11 months ago #3127 by giff06
Replied by giff06 on topic Re:Older South African v10
Hi Bryan,
Glad to hear you are pleased with the boat. There is a lot of info around and on this site about rudder construction and modification.The only experience I have with this is a friend of mine fabricated a rudder for a surfski that was to be used in the rivers here that are twisty and filled with underwater stumps, logs and obstructions. He pulled a string line from the lowest point of the hull( somewhere near the paddler position) to the stern past the rudder and held it level with a line level. Measuring to the string gave him a point that theoretically would protect the rudder as the bottom of the boat would hit the obstacle before the rudder. He added length from bow to stern to give him more rudder surface. As far as I know it worked for him. There are many factors that affect rudder size and placement that are way beyond my knowledge and as speed increases the factors multiply. I think Epic is offering some variations of rudders for the V10 and Huki offers some different styles for their boats. Good Luck!
Ed Gifford

Latest Forum Topics