Epic Build Quality

More
13 years 11 months ago #4356 by MhojoNZ
Epic Build Quality was created by MhojoNZ
Am I having a bad run with my V10S Performance or are there issues with the current manufacture of Epic skis?

The ski was made in Epic's Chinese factory.

The ski leaked since purchased 6 months ago - problem eventually tracked to a bubble in the fibreglass underneath the rudder cover. Cover had to be removed and gel coat ground out and epoxyed. I was told that several skis in the previous shipment had also leaked in this area.

Now I have a crack / soft-spot running from the seam back toward the left front corner of the cockpit. The ski has NOT been mishandled nor paddled in big conditions. Support to date from NZ importer has been good, although not sure what they will make of this latest development.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4358 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Epic Build Quality
Epic have used two Chinese factories, the factory name should be on a silver sticker in the cockpit. The flying eagle factory was the original factory that Epic stated was the reason for build quality issues. Have yet to hear of any issues with boats coming from the new factory partners. Have look and get back to us on which factory it was?

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by AR_convert.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4362 by MhojoNZ
Replied by MhojoNZ on topic Re:Epic Build Quality
No, it's definitely from the new factory, not the Flying Eagle one. (ski has black nose, no stripe)

More
13 years 11 months ago #4363 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:Epic Build Quality
MhojoNZ wrote:

The ski leaked since purchased 6 months ago - problem eventually tracked to a bubble in the fibreglass underneath the rudder cover. Cover had to be removed and gel coat ground out and epoxyed. I was told that several skis in the previous shipment had also leaked in this area.

Now I have a crack / soft-spot running from the seam back toward the left front corner of the cockpit.

Do the "new" Epics have positive bouyancy built in now??

More
13 years 11 months ago #4364 by MhojoNZ
No. If it leaks enough it will seek

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4365 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Epic Build Quality
not good news :(

"Seek" shallower water :dry: incase it SINKS :lol:

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by AR_convert.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4593 by MhojoNZ
Just as a follow-up to this. The retailer (Fergs Kayaks in Auckland) has agreed to replace the ski (presumably in consultation with Epic).

Details of what has caused the problem have not been forthcoming but it is good that they stand by their product.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4599 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:Epic Build Quality
With no rules for these skis there is no obligation for positive bouyancy, and as it adds weight it will upset those who want the lightest gear !

More
13 years 9 months ago #4615 by aracer
Replied by aracer on topic Re:Epic Build Quality
I'd have thought most skis will actually still float if full of water - just not have very much +ve buoyancy. The sandwich construction with a foam (or honeycomb) core should itself be lighter than water.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8507 by jamo
Replied by jamo on topic Re: Epic Build Quality
hi mhojoNZ
would like to abit more about the crack in your ski.
i cant place exactly were you mean.
happy to give my email add if you dont want to go into it here.
jamo

More
12 years 4 months ago #8508 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Epic Build Quality
From what I have seen, it is common for little cracks to appear at the sharp corners at the front of the footwell on the V10.

This seems to be a problem with the performance layup and I haven't seen it on the sport or the L and I guess it is because they are a different shape there.

Mine certainly has a small one on the right hand side.

Not surprising really as the shape there is a stress raiser.

The difficulty of getting the weave/core to go around the corner may also contribute and the gellcoat thickness may also vary there.
That's my guess.

I have also seen the same cracks on the base layup of the Vajder in the same place.
Similar layup, same design.

I wouldn't worry about it, that's not where they break.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #8510 by MhojoNZ
Replied by MhojoNZ on topic Re: Epic Build Quality
Crack was just forward of the cockpit and ran from the seam across the deck up toward the centreline. I do have a picture but I can't seem to attach it. As noted above this is an obvious point of stress and presumably Epic agreed that it was a manufacturing issue as they replaced under warranty.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by MhojoNZ. Reason: Found picture

More
12 years 4 months ago #8532 by jamo
Replied by jamo on topic Re: Epic Build Quality
thanks for the info guys.
my problems are slightly different and more than one my ski is a club lay up v10 sport.
tried to talk to epic in my country with out much luck
still happy to talk to epic international
i ended up having to do my own repaires or throw it in the bin.
so took a gamble have made some changes as while doing the repaire will post the photo's at a later date.
if it turns out a failure will be on the market for another ski i didn't have much to loose couldn't paddle anyway.

Latest Forum Topics