Torn between two

More
13 years 9 months ago #4747 by candela
Torn between two was created by candela
My dilemma.

I've tested most of the brands and the only one saving me from a dead leg is the Epic. I'm tossing up between the V10 & V12 Performance layups.

V10p - Felt comfortable straight away with only the odd twitch during a 10km flat ocean race.

V12p - Felt twitchy from the start and not quite as comfortable as the V10 but that might have just been the peddle setup which I didn't tweak as much as the V10.

BUT even though the V12 was noticeably twitchier it was still 0.4km/hr faster on average.

So I'm torn, do I got straight for comfort, or twitchy and slightly less comfortable but noticeably faster? I train during the week on flat water and train on the weekends in the ocean.

What would others do?, the price is too close to be a factor.

Ps. I've read comparisons between the carbon layups but can't find anything between the Performance layups.

Thanks
Mart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #4749 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:Torn between two
Interesting that you find the v12 more unstable. A mate has just traded up from a glass v10 to the ultra v12 and finds the v12 slightly more stable(slightly less primary stability, but more secondary stability).....though he does struggle in sidechop. Much quicker in the v12.
He is much quicker on flat water and into the wind, but less impressive downwind (small) than you would expect. Apparently the bigger it gets the more the v12 likes it.
If you train mostly on flat water get the v12. If you are training for downwind racing either boat will do. If you're races are mostly flat water get the v12.
In a months time you won't notice the diffence in stability anyway.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Dicko.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4750 by candela
Replied by candela on topic Re:Torn between two
Thanks for the reply.

All my races will be the local Gold Coast Currumbin monthly races plus a few other local events but I'm not yet ready for the bigger 20+km down winds.

Mart

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #4753 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Torn between two
It depends on your weight and height.
The V12 is reported to be more stable by bigger types than the V10.
The opposite for smaller folk.

I'm the bigger side and the V10 is definitely tippier to me.
But it has a lot longer cockpit than the V12 and it's nice to stretch my legs out a bit more.

If I was small I would buy the V12 just for the gurgly noise the bailer makes :laugh:

If you are an average size, then the V12 will be faster in currumbin creek. The closable bailer is a plus in that situation.
I'd probably take off the surf rudder and put on the smaller all round one or weedless too. Maybe the weed deflector as well because my surf rudder picks up debris there all the time.

That's if you go down round the corner anyways, if your just up near the bridges then don't worry about the debris.

Set up right, you could probably stay with the K1's

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Rightarmbad. Reason: I'm an idiot

More
13 years 9 months ago #4754 by candela
Thanks Rightarmband,

Yeah I'm 6foot 1 and 75-78kg. I'm not to worried about paddling in the creak, its more the ocean runs on the weekend (Currumbin out and back). and races such as the byron event and I want to start doing down-winds next year too. So I want the ski I buy to last a few years.

I think I'll take the V12 for another paddle this week if I can.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4756 by TJD
Replied by TJD on topic Re:Torn between two
Gday candela

In my opinion being comfortable is the most important thing and it sounds like you've done your homework in trying a number of boats out but I think its like anything new it takes time to feel comfortable / stable. Stability isn't something you can buy off the shelf, it takes time to develop.

I know within my paddling group we have had guys change boats from a Sport to the 12 and make comments like "this is more stable than the Sport" These guys paddle in both the ocean and the flat.

Good luck with your decision but i think your on the right track ;)

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #4757 by Rightarmbad
I think that the lower volume in the rear of the V12 has a bit to do with what makes it feel stable to me.
When the boat is spanning waves the tail tends to sit down deep in the water where it is wider, whereas the V10 tends to sit on top of the waves in the tail and gets a bit loose.

My V10 feels tippy when there are short sharp waves coming from 3/4 behind me or apoptic stuff, and that's where I noticed the difference in the V12.
Alas it was just a bit short for me, so I got the V10.
I'm 90kg at present, so you may ride a bit different in the water to me.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Rightarmbad. Reason: spelling

More
13 years 9 months ago #4758 by candela
How tall are you Rightarmband?

More
13 years 9 months ago #4759 by Rightarmbad
I'm 192cm or 6ft 3in in old parlance.
but I'm very long limbed.
My brother is the same height as me, but on our bikes I run my seat height at least 2 inches higher than him.
I'm 90kg and lazy at the moment, due to a back injury, but if I loose the blubber, stop cycling and loose the legs my weight comes down under 80kg.
My best competition weight for Triathlons was always about 83kg.
I pretty much run the footplate at full extension in the V10, with the V12 I have my knees quite noticeably too high, high enough that my stability suffers for it, even with the footplate adjusted all the way out.
I would guess that a V12 for you would feel a little bit tippier at first, but as soon as you got used to where the quite strong secondary stability kicks in you will have a ball.
The V12 has the best bucket, its a bit flatter and wider at the very bottom where the V10 tends to taper in a little bit.
I have no trouble with either bucket though.
On flatter water there is quite a noticeable difference in speed with the V12 just a bit faster.

And it is RightarmBAD, due to a separated right shoulder.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4760 by candela
Thank for all the info mate. I'm taking a V12 for a paddle again on Friday morning so I'll decide after that paddle. It seems like the one at the moment.

Sorry about the name and bugger about the shoulder, I was wondering about that.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4761 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Torn between two
Just another detail to muddy the waters maybe...be aware that the performance spec V12 is heavier than the V10 performance, I weighed all the Epic boats on scales I took to the shop when buying my V10L and found the V12 performance weighed in at the same as the club V10 & V10L(blue stripe) level @ 15kg. The V10 performance should be 1-2 kg lighter...having said that I would buy the V12 over the V10 unless predominantly doing big downwind stuff, which is also what Epic themselves state.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #4776 by candela
Just a quick update.

I took the V12 out again in some pretty crappy weather, strong wind and fast moving tide. Paddled for 60min at my normal race pace and felt pretty good. By the end I felt comfortable and confident with the secondary stability.

So I’ve now decided to put an order in for a V12 Performance.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mart

• andrew skeoch
  • Visitor
13 years 8 months ago #4997 by andrew skeoch
Replied by andrew skeoch on topic Re:Torn between two
I have a V10L and recently testing/probably will purchase the v12. At first i couldn't believe how stable the v12 was.
Not that the V10L is a problem, but in a recent race in Toronto in rough conditions 5 wipe outs got me thinking.
Twitchy, yes. incredibly light weight. love the design. Not sure i like the drain!

Latest Forum Topics