Epic V12 Performance vs Epic V12 Ultra

More
13 years 5 months ago #5683 by cody91
Has anyone out there had a chance to paddle/own both a V12 Performance and a V12 Ultra? If so, can you share your experiences? Does the Performance layup seem exceedingly more durable than the Ultra layup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chaz
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #5684 by Chaz
I had a performance V12 and now have an Elite V12. I'm not a pro so results could be differnt for others. But I didn't notice a signifigant speed diffence really, and it's def. more fragile. I hit rocks with my performance and barely scraped the hull. I was thinking the weight for portages in river races I do, but on the water they both feel similiar. On Epic's site Eric B has a weight review on the Ultra and Performance. Hope this helps. Chaz

More
13 years 5 months ago #5685 by MhojoNZ
I own an elite V12. Wasn't so keen on the ultra as I heard they dent (the problem is using kevlar, which is strong but not so stiff, with a nomex foam core. A direct blow compresses the nomex). The elite is very light. Was worried about durability but it is so light it tends to bounce off rather than hit things with force. The clear coat tends to scratch but is easily polished out. It's quite prone to windage. The first time I took it out it blew down the beach! It's also harder to remount in a breeze.

Not sure about the speed - sure does fly downwind but haven't done any direct comparisons. If you want to do downriver racing the performance spec may be more durable (although a bit heavy for the portage).

Latest Forum Topics