Epic V10L Glass to ???

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
13 years 5 months ago #5686 by AR_convert
Where to from my V10L glass?

Looking at anything up to Kevlar construction price wise. Hoping to hear from others who have moved on from the V10L, particularly 15kg glass boat.

I was going to get V12 when I bought this boat, anyone gone to 12 from 10L?

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5708 by red_pepper
It sounds like you did about the same thing I did: I was planning to buy a V12 Performance, but when my dealer offered a new-old-stock V10L Ultra for the same cost (actually slightly less), I couldn't resist and went with the V10L. I really like the boat, but I hope to get some time in a V12 one of these days just to see how they compare. :) I think the only change I would really want to see in my V10L would be a wider foot well - my feet just barely fit between the foot plate rails.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5709 by red_pepper
It sounds like you did about the same thing I did: I was planning to buy a V12 Performance, but when my dealer offered a new-old-stock V10L Ultra for the same cost (actually slightly less), I couldn't resist and went with the V10L. I really like the boat, but I hope to get some time in a V12 one of these days just to see how they compare. :) I think the only change I would really want to see in my V10L would be a wider foot well - my feet just barely fit between the foot plate rails.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5710 by red_pepper

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 5 months ago #5711 by AR_convert
I was hoping to have the V10L to compare to my next boat, but it sold today after less than one week of advertising it!

Interestingly the guy who bought it was a smaller/lighter K1 paddler who initially bought a Synergy but found the volume too much for him.

Uni exams finish on Tuesday then the hunt will be on in earnest to find the boat that will get me through the "Doctor race" in January :woohoo:

More
13 years 5 months ago #5712 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Re:Epic V10L Glass to ???
I dont know if this is throwing a spanner in the works but I had a V10 glass that I sold and went to a Fenn Carbon.

Main reason was containers and availability - but its a great boat and was much more rigid, and for me being a self confessed battler I really enjoyed the extra responce I got from it - i went from one to the other with no problems and have paddled the V12 now and expect any resonable paddler to do the same.

My main issues issues are my tailbone ( ?? ) as I have rubbing issues on some boats so if I find one I am comfortable in I take it

You could do either with confidence I would expect.

Cheers

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 5 months ago #5715 by AR_convert
Which Fenn, the Mako or Elite? and are you saying that you now paddle a V12? If thats the case I'd like to hear your reason for moving to the V12 from the Fenn?

More
13 years 5 months ago #5718 by thebigadski
You shoulda kept yr v10L for yr 1st attempt at the doctor !!!!

More
13 years 5 months ago #5719 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:Epic V10L Glass to ???
I agree. Just cos a boat is fast in the flatter water doesn't make it fast 10k's out to sea. I may be wrong but 2 months is not long enough to feel confident in anything more unstable than a glass v10. I would make really good friends with someone who owns a v10L and put the hard word on them before the race if you feel you aren't up to speed. I would almost guarentee that you won't be as fast in your new boat as you would have been in the old one. Next year maybe. Better still, borrow a v10 sport and chuckle to yourself as you pass half the field. Testosterone is a bugger when choosing a new boat.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5725 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Re:Epic V10L Glass to ???
Yeah I went to the elite the main reason was availability - not many choices.

To be honest I think anything would have been a step up as it was 3rd hand and getting old.

New one is a dream to paddle and I love the responce you get on runners.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 5 months ago #5728 by AR_convert
You're probably right Adam and Dicko, but now that AR's are done with for the year I can drop a lot of my other training and whatever I get, I can do 4 -5 paddles a week in now and give it a crack at being ready. I guess the unknown in what boat I will end up with and how long it will take to source one :dry:

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 5 months ago #5755 by AR_convert
Finished exams today so boat hunting begins!

Didn't waste any time , went straight down to local epic dealer with paddle and gps.Took out a V12 performance. Found an area of the estuary that doesn't have any currents and did a few runs. Very small if any speed difference over V10L.

Paddled around for 5 km looking for boat wash where possible, found the ski just as comfy and stable as the V10L. Marginally more stable that the V10L going through boat wash which hopefully means it would be more stable in lumpy conditions. Unfortunately the seabreeze hadn't kicked in so conditions were very flat.

I think I would definitely need to get it out in some lumpy swells to know if it was a big improvement on the V10L.

I know I could jump in this ski and be just as comfortable as my last boat.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 4 months ago #5779 by AR_convert
Without a car this week (being repaired) so the hunt has been postphoned, which is probably a good thing as I may have been tempted to buy a boat through impatience rather than proper research.

A V12 performance has just come on the 2nd hand market here in Perth which is rare, very tempting as it wont last long I wouldnt think, but I need to paddle some other boats before pulling the trigger.

The Stellar container arrives next week, so looking forward to trying thier boats.

The Carbonology Sport "Vault" has just arrived in Western Australia last week, so hopefully I can tee up with Gary at Vivapaddlesports to take this new boat for a spin.

Latest Forum Topics