Re: V10 - V10L stability

More
16 years 9 months ago #721 by [email protected]

neither of us has been prepared to prejudice racing results by switching to standard skis on occasion.

Problem is that Dale is so damn competitive... ;D

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #722 by nell
I find that boat weight does seem to make a significant difference in its "twitchiness". For example, I used a 15 kg carbon millenium for a few years and sat on about 3 cm of padding, sometimes more, and it was fine stability-wise. Then I switched to a 11 kg millenium (vac bagged of course), and it felt horribly unstable with only about 1 cm of padding to sit on. I had chalked it all up to the weight difference, but ski deflection is a good idea as well. Though, my guess is that the 15 kg millenium would be stiffer as it was like a rock.

Interestingly, I demo'd a V10 L Ultra last fall on flatwater. Hopped from my 15 kg millenium and 4 cm of padding, to the Ultra. My millenium was much less twitchy. Again, I chalked that up to boat weight and not stiffness.

I've paddled an 11 kg Mako 6 and a glass 16 kg Mako 6, and I haven't noticed too much difference in feel, though the lighter 6 is a bit , and only a bit, twitchier. But, I would guess that both layups deflect by the same amount as the lighter one is not rock-solid-stiff. Great ski, though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics