v12 cowling

More
12 years 9 months ago #7278 by zachhandler
v12 cowling was created by zachhandler
I'm wondering how many people out there are using the removable cowling on their V12. I've had a v12 about a year now. I think I paddles with the cowling once, found it made remounting a little trickier, and then never put it on again. Also, the composite material has a slight warp in it so it doesn't sit perfectly flat. What do people think of their cowling? I suppose I really havent given mine a fair chance...

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7279 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re:v12 cowling
I never use mine, just seems to get in the way.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7282 by Geofff
Replied by Geofff on topic Re:v12 cowling
I only remove mine when I transport it. While it's hard to quantify, I find it keeps a fair bit of water out when the conditions pick up. I also use tape around the edges to keep it flat. I haven't found it an issue doing a remount.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7288 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:v12 cowling
I cut my cowling "arms" back about 10 cm on each side so as to make remounting just as easy as without it. I also cut a slot in the top and run my gps through it. I can just reach the buttons while seated, which is a plus. Overall, I guess I'm undecided as to whether I like using the cowling or not. Erik

More
12 years 6 months ago #8286 by DougMar
Replied by DougMar on topic Re: v12 cowling
Have had my V12 ultra since mid-July 2011. On flat days I keep the cowling off. On medium to big days, its on, only because it definitely keeps the water overflow to a minimum. Have not had any issues with re-entry with the cowling in place. The non-perfect fit is a non-issue, as it is not really for looks, though some would say it accentuates the feature-lines of the deck. The velcro is becoming hairy-looking, so it may need to be replaced soon. After each session, I pull the cowling off and rinse everything with fresh water. I also seem to collect fewer mullet (small, 6 - 10 inch long fish) with the cowling in place, which then modifies my snacking habits.
I have my Garmin 310xt strapped to my foot strap, as I do not wish the expensive little bugger to possibly get bashed with the paddle in big stuff if it were mounted on the cowling.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8291 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic Re: v12 cowling

Doug at SagaKayak.com wrote: I also seem to collect fewer mullet (small, 6 - 10 inch long fish) with the cowling in place, which then modifies my snacking habits.

Hmmmm... mullet snacks for energy boosts during racing - would save the weight of bringing energy gels or other food. Now if only you could get them to jump into your mouth on command...

More
12 years 6 months ago #8292 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: v12 cowling
I just wish they had of used a couple of stainless thumbscrews to mount it.
No fear of it flying off on the roof and don't have to do the dodgy as hell looking tape it down.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics