Footplate screws

More
12 years 6 months ago #8067 by zachhandler
Footplate screws was created by zachhandler
Anybody else have problems with epic footplate screw loosening? On my v12 the 4 screws that attach the metal footplate "L" bracket to the side rails come loose. Happened once last year. I bought replacements from the hardware store, and then removed and reinstalled every screw in the boat with locktite on the threads. However, in my last paddle, which was in big conditions, the footplate came wobbly again towards the end of the paddle. unloading the boat from the car at home, there was a loose screw rolling in the bucket. The foot plate was only connected to the boat by a single screw on one side.

Any advice for this situation, besides being more vigilant about checking my equipment before i paddle?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8068 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Footplate screws
Never had a problem, but I do remember somebody on here making the same comment a year or so ago.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #8070 by FalllGuy
Replied by FalllGuy on topic Re: Footplate screws
Zach... Yes, I had the very same problem on a new V8 I purchased for distance fitness paddling. A week on the water and two screws fell out.

I wrote to Epic and the rep I spoke to said that Oscar was sending a note to the factory to address the issue.

Being that the screws are very short, one cannot really use a stainless lock washer. Besides, the less hardware to lose, the better.

I suggest you use a product called "Loctite".

You can find info on the product here...

www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_bl...dlocker-Blue-242.htm

They also have a heavier duty "red" Loctite that may be a bit too strong to use on the small ski screws.

Another product that works well is called "Liquid Electrical Tape".

Both of these items can be found at big box home improvement retailers.

Just a small drop on the threads before installation and a snug tightening, and an hour to dry and I think you will find that the problem should be resolved.

Personally, I think this should be done at the factory by all of the manufacturers. It's a two second process with almost a zero dollar cost.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by FalllGuy.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8735 by DougMar
Replied by DougMar on topic Re: Footplate screws
Have the same problem with my V12-U. Had it since July 2011. I just keep my eye on 'em and retighten when required. Blue locktite should work a treat, but I haven't used the locktite since I plan on redoing the whole setup sometime this winter. Not to bash Epic, but I believe I can do a better design and build job for the foot plate and pedal assembly. We'll see.

What really peeves me... is the foot strap. The neoprene curls under when inserting my feet, leaving the nasty Velcro to abrade my skin. Then I must readjust the position of neoprene to soften the strap while trying to keep upright in clapotis. Not the best situation when doing beach starts in a race. I like the strap quite snug on my feet so that I can pull with my non-driving leg. I’m fixing this issue this evening with some plastic from a rubbing alcohol bottle, a retired wetsuit, and an industrial sewing machine. Again, we’ll see.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8738 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Footplate screws
I'm not familiar with the epic setup but is it possible to use nylock nuts (nylon insert nuts)?
If not enough thread for nylocs then maybe replace original screws with some slightly longer screws so that nylocs can be used. If you use a higher strength loctite e.g medium nut lock then you can loosen up with heat. A slodering iron on the screw end should be enough to loosen up the loctite.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8739 by FalllGuy
Replied by FalllGuy on topic Re: Footplate screws
Locktite does seem to solve the problem. I don't use the V8 the way most ski paddlers use their boats, but I have paddled her just a bit over 1100 miles since July without any further problems.

No room for the Nylok's, the screws being discussed go into the mounts that rides along the footplate adjusting side rails...

Good trend of thought though.Along those lines, longer screw with lockwashers could also be used.

Locktite is the simplest remedy I think. It may also "in theory" seal the threads, keeping salt build up from seizing the screws over time.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8740 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Re: Footplate screws
Yes, as per my post I have been using loctite. I have been using the blue strength. Obviously it has not fixed the problem. I called epic on this. They sent me more screws. Charged me for shipping (about 1$).

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
12 years 5 months ago #8751 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Footplate screws
Hey Doug, the footstraps soften up after a little while and then become more comfortable.

I also took them out and made new holes that tipped the strap a fair bit more forward so I could run them tighter and still get my feet in them.
This made quite a difference for me.

I find it almost impossible to get in them in the standard configuration, they just don't fit bigger feet.

I've not had any screws come loose in my boat, although I did check/tighten them all when I took delivery.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 5 months ago #8752 by jamo
Replied by jamo on topic Re: Footplate screws
hi guy's
i had trouble with the screws on my sport the bottom on the right.i know of two other paddlers who had trouble with the same screw loctited them in and it was fine till the other day the same screw fell out i went to put it back in and the hole had corroded out.
i'm going to look at putting counter sunk screws in from the in side so i can put nylock nuts on.
will let you know how it goes and try and upload some photo's.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8920 by cody91
Replied by cody91 on topic Re: Footplate screws
Doug,

I also have challenges with the footstrap on my V12. It doesn't seem to keep it's shape and flops downward when my feet are not in it. I was thinking about possibly getting an aftermarket strap (i.e. Lincke) but I think I'm going to try what RAB did and put new holes in it to keep it upright. This is my 2nd footstrap from Epic. They replaced the first one under warranty because the velcro was excessively fraying.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8922 by DougMar
Replied by DougMar on topic Re: Footplate screws
Cody: In preparation for a 11 mile marathon-style flat-water race with three portages (I'm a rough water paddler, though), I took off the webbing and velcro from the original neoprene foot band, and used a piece of an old wetsuit for a new, wider neoprene pad (3" wide), with a piece of plastic (cut from an alcohol bottle) sized to slip inside the sewn neoprene. I sewed the new neoprene/plastic band onto the existing webbing/velcro with an industrial machine the evening before I was to drive to the race (9 hrs away). The plastic was to keep the neoprene from curling under the velcro. The idea worked well, however I had the strap a bit too tight for this type of race. I couldn’t get my feet wedged under the strap fast enough upon boat entry after each of the portages. Lost probably about one minute total fiddling with the strap. However, for rough water paddling, I really like it so far.
Otherwise, I did VERY well in that race!

More
12 years 4 months ago #8934 by jamo
Replied by jamo on topic Re: Footplate screws
hi all
i fitted some 1/2" long by 3/16" diameter counter sunk 316 s/s screws and nylock nuts to my v10 sport the other night easy to do took an hour from start to finish and a lot stronger.
even if some how the nylock nut happen to come off the screw cant come out so it will still hold the foot plate in place.
will post some photo's when i get it to work

Latest Forum Topics