Epic V10L old model Vs Epic V10L new- whats the di

More
12 years 5 months ago #8413 by Joanna Dounias
Im a very small framed 48kg 5ft6'(female paddler) looking to buy an Epic V10L Performance. I prefer ocean paddling to flat water and have been paddling a friends old model Epic V10L Performance ski- 14kg and loving it- the one with the black stripe- not new one with black tip.
Thinking of buying the same ski (old model) but wandering if I'm better off buying the newer model Epic V10L performance with the black nose- much more expensive. What's the difference between the old and new model- other than aesthetic? Does it behave differently, faster, different dimensions, foot adjustment et, tippier? Is it worth paying that extra thou?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8415 by Rightarmbad
Same boat, but the new one should have a paddle leash attachment point.
And you gotta admit, the new graphics are better.

The new one will also have the newer stainless shaft rudder, the old one may be ether carbon(fibreglass?), it breaks, aluminium, it corrodes and seizes in the rudder tube or maybe an older stainless that I have heard about but never seen.

After breaking my barely 12 month old one, I'm firmly of the opinion that secondhand and cheaper is a great option.
Although there is some crap out there amongst the bargains.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 5 months ago #8416 by Rightarmbad
I also suggest that you have a go at a Stellar SES.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 5 months ago #8418 by mckengmsurfski
I agree with RAB, no real difference and I'd go for the used one if it's in good shape and doesn't leak. The hull on them is identical. The graphics look faster but my guess is your GPS won't notice.
It's pick your poison with Epic rudders... But a new one doesn't cost the $1K you'd be saving.
I also agree with RAB that there are a lot of other options out there, especially if you can jump in a V10L and be comfortable in the ocean right from the start.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8422 by Kayaker Greg
I have the new V10L Performance but it has no leash attachment.
I also have the Stella SES and I would suggest this to be the better option. Also available in fibreglass although I have the kevlar Excel. I'm 78kg, 5'8" and the V10L felt like a big ski to me, the SES is smaller and a better fit for me, the leg hump is lower which is great for smaller paddlers.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8429 by Joanna Dounias
Thank you so much guys- you have really been an enormous help in making my decision.

I'll go the 'as new never paddled' older model, and I'll be sure to wear lots of stripy red gear to make up for the duller sluggish graphics.
As very small framed paddlers will identify, its been a long process of trial and error with skis- especially when you can only trial a new ski on flat water. Its an entirely different experience in rough ocean and skis behave differently out there.
I tried the STELLAR 11.5 kg Kevlar when it first came out - paddled it out through the heads on a slightly rough day and I felt like I was paddling a Swiss Ball- the ski sat so high above the water I got tossed about- maybe too much volume but probably because this model was too light for me.
Admittedly I didn't trial the heavier glass model- But being a new ski on the market- there are no used Stellars for sale out there, so Epic is a good buy, and I've trialed it in the ocean.
Thanks again and Cheers

More
12 years 5 months ago #8430 by Rightarmbad
Sounds like you tried the SE not the SES from that description.
The SES is shorter and very narrow that lets it sit down in the water.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8432 by Kayaker Greg
Not necessarily, there is a noticeable tendency for skis once they get around 11kg to be more affected by the movement of the water, hence less stable, as Joanna has pointed out, probably too light for her. For such a small paddler this would be even more noticeable and a fibreglass model would be a better comparison, however as stated, she may not be able to find any 2nd hand ones, unless she is in NZ, I know of one.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8436 by mckengmsurfski
If you like the V10L and can get a used one at a nice price, sounds like you've done well. Enjoy your 'new' ski!

More
5 years 7 months ago #32513 by Mal
Mate i have a first generation epic v10L.i would go for it.they are a thin boat at 43cm,the fenn elite is only 42.5.so pretty close in width.ive paddled a new one and it fealt like a barge compared to mine.if its downwind paddles that you do the new one is stabler.but it dosnt take long to get used of the thiner boat.for value of money,i rekon you cant go past the older v10L.im also 6.1 and fit nicley in mine.i love it.

Latest Forum Topics