Fenn Elite S

More
9 years 5 months ago #22381 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Fenn Elite S
Fredrik, having owned the Elite, Elite SL, Glide and now Elite S (look further back in this thread for my take on them), this is the way I see it:

1. The Elite S is an updated Elite, and I would guess that the Elite will quietly go out of favour like the old Mako 6 did when the Elite originally came out.

2. The Elite SL was a bit of a dud, poor primary stability was a liability in big seas (two top sponsored Fenn paddlers both told me they didn't like the SL for that reason.) Has pretty much disappeared off the scene these days (in SA.)

3. The Glide is more suited for flatwater conditions and small runs, its lack of rocker becomes a problem in big seas and short steep chop.

4. The Spark is for lighter paddlers and the ladies : I can't fit into it so I don't know what its like but those who paddle them love them

So that's one user's guide (i.e. me!) to the elite Fenn ski range!

Fredrik, from what I can see the underwater hull shape and rocker of the Elite S is pretty well identical to the Elite, most of the changes are above the waterline. The Elite is an awesome ski, so it would be a mistake to change a winning formula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hamishglen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22383 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Fenn Elite S
Thanks Nige
Your input is very helpful throughout this tread. I have had the SL and Glide, both of which were bought without the input from Fenn, but on Dawid M review on the different characteristics.
I just found it weird that the buyers are the ones reporting on the features, not the designers/makers.
Oh well - maybe they are all buzy designing a new surfski :woohoo:
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by fredrik.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22390 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Fenn Elite S
Hi I used to own carbon south African built Fenn Elite and an aussie built Fenn Elite.

The difference was seat further forward by about 25mm, slightly smaller hump, cut outs and leash attachment point, same volume.

I did find the aussie fenn elite, slightly more responsive and quicker on the flat (not that im that fit). I didn't really like that it was slightly edgier/tippy dropping onto runs especially if paddling over the edge late, where as the original Fenn you just went for it.

Overall it didn't have that original Fenn Elite feel going downwind, though it didn't feel like you were paddling uphill like the Fenn Elite does if your shorter. I did really like the ski but would have preferred a SA built Fenn Elite with a small hump and the seat in the original position.

I think the elite S will appeal to the majority of people (re average size paddlers) that find the Elite a tad too big.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by superted.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22938 by meridarcey
Replied by meridarcey on topic Fenn Elite S
Hi all, some may have some more info on the Elite S by now. I picked mine up yesterday. One of the competition boats from the Doctor. Quick impressions on a windy day. Small runs.

My boat for the last year has been an Elite Glide. If I was to score the glide 9.0 out of ten for instability, I would score the Elite S a 7.0 and for more context the Swordfish would be a 5.0. All carbon models.

The Glide cuts across lines. The Elite S as you would expect given the rocker, connects with the runs and is therefore more predictable when catching, turning and cutting across lines.

The bucket of the S is very slightly wider than the Glide. It does however have some minor adjustments to the position of the now quite low hump. It's a great bucket for smaller or medium size paddlers but i'm sure would be ok for larger paddlers but probably not XL paddlers.

Also kinda felt like a large Spark.
I'd recommend anyone paddling a V10 for stability reasons, anyone struggling a bit with the Glide, someone a bit too big for the Spark to definitely try one.

I have the 10.5kg Carbon model. I haven't weighed it yet, but i'm pretty sure it is at least 10.5kgs which isn't a big deal as the Glide at 10kgs was and is so twitchy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

More
9 years 3 months ago #22939 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic Fenn Elite S
Hi Meridarcey

I'd be interested in knowing more on the Fenn S based on the recommendation for those on the V10 for stability reasons. Is the S much more unstable than the V10 2nd Gen?
cheers

More
9 years 3 months ago #22947 by meridarcey
Hi John, I had a V10 for a couple of weeks. I thought it was going to be a great boat. As the bucket was way too wide for me, I found myself being thrown around in it, as did the person I sold it to. Actually asked Oscar C about it and he denied it was a problem. It was a problem for me so I sold it. In a nutshell, yep, the V10 is very stable if you are a big bloke with big hips. I'm 75kgs and a size 32 round the waist. Now i've only paddled the Elite S off the back of paddling the Glide. From the Glide to the S, the S felt super stable and fits me really well. I asked Dawid about his choice and he is sticking with the Elite S also. Personally, I think the Elite S is a massive threat to those who are considering a V10. It surfs much better, has a smaller bucket, is lighter and cheaper and is built on the super proven hull of the old Elite. Just my humble opinion, i'm sure there are people that love the new V10. Stability... Id say they are both a 7/10 for stability. Try them both in mixed conditions before you buy! Happy paddling!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg, hamishglen

More
9 years 3 months ago #22950 by Midlifecrisis
Replied by Midlifecrisis on topic Fenn Elite S
Any reason that you went for the Elite S rather than the Spark? At 75kg it seems as though the Spark would be a good fit?

More
9 years 3 months ago #22951 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Fenn Elite S
Some good info in here, sounds like I'm going to have to try an Elite S for size as my hips are just slightly too big for the Spark and if the Elite S is just a little bit bigger in the bucket, possibly I will fit. I'm 72kg.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22952 by JohnK
Meridarcey,
Excellent feedback, thank you. I expected the Elite S to be less stable than the V10. The bucket sounds great as I am also under 75Kgs and currently use padding to improve the fit in the 10. I find the 10 great except for the bucket size which is a personal thing. Guess I'll be trying the Elite S asap.
John

More
9 years 3 months ago #22953 by hamishglen
Replied by hamishglen on topic Fenn Elite S
Meridarcey - Interesting..
My only complaint on my V10 Ultra is the size of the bucket (6ft, 77kg). I slide around quite a bit and feel unstable sometimes as a result.
I have a Glide also and love the tightness of the bucket.

On the basis of your comments here I might just need to try out an Elite S.

A full carbon Elite S will be around 2kg lighter than a V10 Ultra, and around $500 cheaper.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
9 years 3 months ago #22954 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Fenn Elite S
I really like my Spark, but the feedback on the Elite S seems very positive.
Also curious to see the Elite S compared a little more with the Spark.

Would the S be faster or slower ?
Is the S size right in the middle of the Elite and Spark ?
Is the S more or less stable than the Spark ?

The only complaint I have for the Spark is from friends whose hips are just slightly too big to fit the Spark. Couple of them still really like the "feel" of the spark, but felt like it was rather tight.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
9 years 3 months ago #22955 by Anthony.Blyth
Replied by Anthony.Blyth on topic Fenn Elite S
Is there a new Swordfish 2 coming out, someone said same width as existing swordfish but same length as the Elite?? It sounds like the boat all us intermediate paddlers are waiting for!

More
9 years 3 months ago #22960 by meridarcey
Hi all,
Few dot points.
Q. Why Elite S over Spark
A. Spark was amazing. I just like the feel of a slightly bigger boat. The Glide was the perfect sized boat for me, just not quite right hull shape for me when conditions got a bit hectic. The Elite S feels like the same size boat as the Glide. Really similar above the water line.

Q. V10 Ultra v Elite S.
A. I was so slow in my V10 Ultra and slid all over the bucket. Padded it out etc etc but just couldn't work out how to make the Ski work for me. It's too hard to compare different branded ski's imho. I can only break it down it these points...
V10 - Really stable but you get thrown around the bucket unless you fit it really well as the bucket is flat. I do have a mate who has a V10L 2014 model and he is going great guns in that. He is a similar size to me. I've never paddled one.

Glide - Awesome fit for me at 5'10" 75kgs but no hiding how tippy it is especially in tricky conditions. Slippery log! But when you are paddling well, it's an amazing rocket ship.

Spark - Awesome fit for me again. Still really tippy but not as tippy as the Glide (only just).

Elite S - For a boat that Dawid has chosen as hit ski, I can't believe how stable it is. Bucket is a great fit for me. The bucket also seems a bit more forgiving as far as fit goes, slightly less vertical and a better positioned hump than the Glide (again, for me). Dawid recommended to me to try a few different rudders with it and to get a splash deflector for the boat also. Pretty good advice. Basically, try an Elite S. It's the best boat i've paddled for someone who paddles pretty well, or above.

I'll post some photos of the Elite S next to the Glide late today :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg, Zivo

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #22965 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Fenn Elite S
I paddle the Glide today and happy with the stability in 95% of the conditions I paddle. Nevertheless I would love to get my hands on a Elite S if it provides more stability at similar speed.

Would you know, meridarcey (or could you find out) if the Elite S has a higher drag in a 12-15kph grind range. Eg would dawid M paddle Elite S in flat conditions or would he prefer the Glide (although they are quicker than this in grind state :-).
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by fredrik.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22966 by meridarcey
Hi Fredrik,
Yeah the Glide is amazing and will be hard to sell mine as i'll stick with one boat. It's an amazing vessle! If I was a good enough paddler to use the Glide in 95% of conditions, i'd have no reason to change. I probably would have just stuck with it.

The advantages of the Elite S certain are - feels a lot more stable and will definitely connect with runs better with the extra rocker. Also slightly wider bucket than the Glide.

I was lucky to hear from Dawid on the topic of - which Ski. He said he is sticking with the Elite S. Like most elite athletes, they tend to stick with one design for a long time. He always favoured the hull of the original Elite but obviously not the above waterline design. No surprise he went back to that hull shape. Common in many sports... Tennis for example, Federer used the same racquet for 10+ years. Same as Sampras, Hewitt... yada

For weight weenies, be warned, my Glide is 10.4kgs. My Elite S is 11.5kgs. Both Carbon models. I actually don't mind the extra bit of weight as it is still a really really light ski. Not sure it this is common accross the new fleet. Happy paddling!

More
9 years 3 months ago #22967 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Fenn Elite S
Just to clear up a bit of confusion meridarcy, cos my mate TonyB is about to buy an elite S based on your statement that the "elite s is as stable as a v10"(he buys a new boat every 2 weeks). You're comparing the S with the old v10 aren't you? Did I read right that you haven't paddled the new v10 or that you haven't paddled a 2014 model generation 2 v10?

More
9 years 3 months ago #22968 by meridarcey
Hi Dicko,

I had a V10 2014 model for a few weeks. I'm sure the boat is as stable as houses but for me, as I was too small for the bucket, everything would be fine then i'd get thrown out. A few people I know had the same experience. Was super easy to remount but pretty frustrating of course. I think you need to really fit the V10 or you might have trouble. That is certainly my experience and two others I know that have owned the boat.

I'm sure if you were a perfect fit in the V10 vs a perfect fit in the Elite S the V10 would be more stable. But again, for me, due to fit, the Elite S is more stable. Either way i'd want to try both in varied conditions before purchasing if I could.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22969 by JohnK
Dicko,
I have had a short paddle on the flat water with the Elite S and I can say that the primary stability of the boat is less than a new V10. It is a step change. However, the cockpit size allows fantastic contact with the boat that really centres the body and provides for improved control of the boat with the hips. I was very impressed by this. It is very manouvrable as such. Overall I found it to be a beautiful boat that runs well but I am not a rough water paddler so you should check Rob's comments earlier in this thread for the ocean handling.
regards
John

More
9 years 3 months ago #22989 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Fenn Elite S

Anthony.Blyth wrote: Is there a new Swordfish 2 coming out, someone said same width as existing swordfish but same length as the Elite?? It sounds like the boat all us intermediate paddlers are waiting for!

Hi Anthony (sorry it took so long to approve this post, slipped through the cracks!)... I have my spies tracking this story down - I'll let you know if I find anything out!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 2 months ago #23344 by NK
Replied by NK on topic Fenn Elite S
I am very impressed with the new Fenn Elite S.

Subtle differences have improved this boat to be more stable, faster and more manoeuvrable than the original Elite.

My profile:

I paddle three to four times a week
I owned a Fenn Elite for three years before upgrading to the Elite S
I paddle Sydney harbour which is flat to choppy with the occasional lines of swell to play around on.
I still consider myself a "middle of the pack" paddler.

The Fenn Elite S is more stable. Maybe 5%. maybe less but it is a significant improvement on the Elite. Bucket, lower bump, slightly wider in the stern??? Not sure but I don't fall out of this boat and have a new confidence in the bump that I never experienced in my old boat.

The up wind performance is better. A lower profile bow and improved stability has improved my speed into the wind. It maybe my improved confidence, but I love paddling this boat into the chop and into the wind.

Catching runners. Another 5% improvement. It just feels easier to catch runners and stay on them. Moving the cockpit forward has changed the downwind ability of this boat. I wonder if this has added to its stability??

A tighter turning circle is noticeable and the ability to steer the boat with your body weight makes it alot more fun to paddle down wind that the Elite.

Flat water performance. I suspect its a touch slower on the flat. I have no basis for this claim, however you don't get anything in this life for free. The gains in stability and down wind performance might give up some of its flat water speed. but again, its just a guess. Sydney harbour is rarely flat, so all you need is a little rebound of the head lands, a ferry wake or a bit of breeze and the improved stability will give you the advantage you were looking for over the higher end ski's.

I have paddled an Epic V10, and sure its stable but it feels low and dead in the water. The Elite is a lively boat which is very quick to accelerate and easy to steer making it alot of fun to paddle.

Just my 2 cents worth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

Latest Forum Topics