Fenn Swordfish

More
9 years 5 months ago #22455 by AR_Junkie
Fenn Swordfish was created by AR_Junkie
Currently I paddle an Epic v12 but I feel like I need something more stable during the winter/spring season here in Sweden when water temputare is below 5 degrees C and its constantly dark ;) Im very much considering the Fenn Swordfish for this and also for multisport/adventure racing when conditions are uncertain out at sea. What im wonder is if there are different hull models of the swordfish, has the design been the same since it was released or has it been updated (like the Epic v10 & v10 sport did 2013) ? Overall suggestions on the swordfish? Will I find it dull and slow ? It seems pretty lightweight and from what I read most people are impressed by it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22457 by epic5253
Replied by epic5253 on topic Fenn Swordfish
my suggestion would be to go paddle the Swordfish, V10 & V10S - there is no foolproof manual on which ski to paddle... what suits your friend won't necessarily suit you.. I have entered the surfski scene with a V10S and is very happi with the ski. I have tested a Swordfish but felt more comfortable in the V10S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_Junkie

More
9 years 5 months ago #22459 by AR_Junkie
Replied by AR_Junkie on topic Fenn Swordfish

epic5253 wrote: my suggestion would be to go paddle the Swordfish, V10 & V10S - there is no foolproof manual on which ski to paddle... what suits your friend won't necessarily suit you.. I have entered the surfski scene with a V10S and is very happi with the ski. I have tested a Swordfish but felt more comfortable in the V10S.

Thx!.I also started with a v10s and then moved onto the new v10 and recently to a v12. I love the v12, it has speed potentials for me to develope with but I dont feel 100% comfortable in it on windy days, especially when paddling alone at sea. I will give the swordfish a try for sure, but my question was if there are different model of the swordfish or if the design is the same now as when it was release =

More
9 years 5 months ago #22463 by crallan
Replied by crallan on topic Fenn Swordfish
No, same ski. Seems like the thing that differs is that some are sold with the standard 'sharkfin' rudder and some with the elliptical surf rudder.

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_Junkie

More
9 years 5 months ago #22496 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Fenn Swordfish
Yeah they have been the same but don't bother with the shark fin rudder the later rudder is much better. Most people find the Swordfish extremely stable and comfortable in most conditions, I've had/have an Epic V10, Stellar SES and Stellar SEL and the Swordfish is my favorite everyday ski, in bigger downwind conditions I use an Orka elliptical rudder, but for everyday use I have the Fenn rudder.

Some people have problems with the fit/comfort, took me awhile to get this sorted, so glad I persevered with this, can see me having this ski for a long time and the others are either gone or for sale.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22497 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Fenn Swordfish
Swordfish and the V10 have the same stability but the V10 is longer so inherently faster.
But as others have said paddle them, not for 20 strokes but till you get a bit fatigued, then any balance issues will pop up. Most ski are quite stable paddling them for a minute.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22498 by ajgsurfing
Replied by ajgsurfing on topic Fenn Swordfish
Greg , i have a glass swordfish with the shark fin rudder , do you or anyone else think it is worth getting the new "downwind" rudder and using that instead for down winding?

doe it make that much difference?

More
9 years 5 months ago #22499 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Fenn Swordfish

Kayaker Greg wrote: I've had/have an Epic V10, Stellar SES and Stellar SEL and the Swordfish is my favorite everyday ski

I would be interested in hearing more about this.. Why?

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22500 by Kayaker Greg
I find the shark fin rudder gets very stiff the faster you go, the surf rudder is a lot more responsive to my input and puts me where I want to be when I want it, depends if you like this or not? I like my ski to respond to my input when I want it, I know a guy that prefers the shark fin (in his Fenn Elite) as he reckoned with the new rudder he just about got thrown out of the boat because it was too responsive, we are all different, most of my friends are not fans of the shark fin rudder and have changed. The new rudder gives me more control when I want it, less broaching, the shark fin would be perhaps a better rudder for flat water and weeds.

Epic V10 did not work for me, sore hip flexors, fragile finish and heavy, (performance model) sold after 3-4 months.

SEL too big for me now, get thrown about in it, used to be almost as stable as my Swordfish when I was heavier, now I'm too light for it, faster than the Swordfish but just too big for me now, if I was heavier I would keep and great in larger surfing conditions, great construction very durable in Excel, still looks new after 2 years, slow draining if swamped, for sale.

SES, only just recently been thinking about selling this as I only use it for flat water racing and because I hardly paddle it it seems a waste to keep it. Fits me well, again very touch construction in Excel. Plan to use my Swordfish in the next flat water race where I usually use my SES to see what the difference in my time is (regular time trial we have in an estuary). Most likely will sell.

Swordfish suits my size, pretty comfortable in any conditions that I go out in, very stable, dry boat, never swim off this ski, gets around the cans faster than anything else I have paddled, catches runs beautifully and is just the right length to sit between the wave period we mostly get, still looks like brand new after two years use, (Carbon Vacuum). Could do with leash attachment point but the foot strap doubles as an attachment point, otherwise I love it.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbflat

More
9 years 5 months ago #22501 by Madpaddler75
Replied by Madpaddler75 on topic Fenn Swordfish
Make sure you paddle the swordfish for at least 10+km as I loved the swordfish but after 7km the seat became very uncomfortable with a numb left butt cheek. I have not had this with the V10 or my current boat the Evo 2. If it wasn't for this problem I would have bought the swordfish but this happened on multiple paddles. good luck with the search for a new boat.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22502 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Fenn Swordfish
Thanks Kayaker Greg... Just curious, what do you weigh now?

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 5 months ago #22503 by Kayaker Greg
How rude! :laugh: Been 71kg for awhile now, might be just over that but want to get down to about 68kg, when I bought my SEL I was 83kg, when I got down to 76kg was when I started to get thrown about and bought the Swordfish and as I have gotten lighter the SEL has become more of a handful as conditions got worse.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22507 by AR_Junkie
Thx for all the input. Im 187cm and and 87kg so I hope the fit will be nice and tight. I paddled Epic v10s and new Epic v10 but never got comfortable with the buckets of them. Currently paddling a v12 and that bucket fits me perfect but its abit too unstable for me paddling alone on windy days on the ocean in the dark here in swedish winter, on flat or small chop its perfect for me.

Hopefully I can test a swordfish during next week.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22512 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Fenn Swordfish
How difficult is the swordfish to remount? Is it a deep seat?
The v10 has a really shallow bucket. I would imagine it would be easier to remount in the cold with a ton of cold gear on. Something else to think about.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22517 by Kayaker Greg
I've only had to remount mine once in a big downwind and a few times in practice and I had no trouble, don't know if its any harder or easier than other skis.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22519 by Kayaker Greg
Haha should have touched wood when I said I never fall out of this ski, had a swim today in rough sea but again, no trouble getting back in.

• Bermy
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22520 by Bermy
Replied by Bermy on topic Fenn Swordfish
Totally agree. Love the swordy but after 45mins my lower extremities die. I have padded up the seat and that helps but makes the boat feel unnatural (no more smooth bucket to sit in). Could sit in the Evoii for hours with no discomfort. #trybeforeyoubuyforlongtime:)

More
9 years 5 months ago #22542 by AR_Junkie
Picking up a 2nd hand glass vacuum swordfish next saturday, will be interesting to test on the ocean compared to the v12 :)

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22683 by AR_Junkie
Picked up the swordfish on saturday and took it straight down to the lake for a try, and here are my first impressions.

- Bucket fits me perfect! It feels like im sitting more upright then in my v12, and get more power down.

- Stable as a rock.

- Turns on a dime with the steel rudder lines and the elliptical rudder. Takes an allen key to change the settings but it feels very solid once set.

- Easy to do reentry, even in drysuit and PDF.

Overall it feels fast and responsive. I paddled faster over 2km on flatwater in the swordfish then in my v12 Perfomance which probably sais more about my skills then the skis. Im an intermediate paddler and I think this is the perfect ski for me in any condition. Will try it on the ocean on wednesday.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by AR_Junkie.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22696 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic Fenn Swordfish
The other thing you will find with the Swordfish is that it will pick up a runner in a bath tub. Sadly, I fell into the category of the Swordy not being the right fit for me. Way too tight in the seat and difficult for me (at the time 112kg) to remount in offshore conditions. Also had the same problems with legs ache and numb bum after an hour.

That said, if it works for you, one of the best Intermediate boats around,

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

Latest Forum Topics