Fenn Swordfish

More
9 years 1 month ago #23700 by TodS
Replied by TodS on topic Fenn Swordfish
Not to hijack this thread but while we are talking Swordfish...... I just stared paddling this past year. Have a swordfish. I come from extensive sailing background so I understand a bit about the dynamics of boats but one thing I have problems with is that it seems to me that the stock rudder is not an ideal design. Poor balance around the rudder post and it seems to cavitate very easily causing sudden instability in certain conditions. feel free to tell me if I am wrong or perhaps its my noobie skill set but I was wondering what you all think about this. and btw I am building a high aspect rudder that I hope to try out as soon as the ice on Lake Erie clears.. if it does.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23701 by Bob L.
Replied by Bob L. on topic Fenn Swordfish
What year is your ski?

More
9 years 1 month ago #23702 by TodS
Not sure, purchased used with no documents and there is no hull ID on it. But I would guess its four years old. Rudder is the "shark fin" shape with the rudder post about 10% aft of the leading edge.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23703 by crallan
Replied by crallan on topic Fenn Swordfish

TodS wrote: Not sure, purchased used with no documents and there is no hull ID on it. But I would guess its four years old. Rudder is the "shark fin" shape with the rudder post about 10% aft of the leading edge.

Get the 'new' elliptical rudder instead, it is well worth it! Better stearing and less broach.

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
9 years 1 month ago #23704 by TodS
I wrote to FENN this fall asking them about this but no reply. Can you tell me where to buy? thanks much

More
9 years 1 month ago #23705 by Scode
Replied by Scode on topic Fenn Swordfish
I actually prefer the Orka elliptical rudder. Its slightly larger with much better bight than the Fenn downwind rudder. But as with most things regarding surf skis, it all boils down to personal preference.

BTW you can purchase both rudders thru the Ocean Paddler shop in Sydney - in person or online.

Cheers

Latest Forum Topics