Fenn Elite S or Fenn Elite Spark

More
5 years 7 months ago #32337 by marc689
Hello,
I want to change from an intermediate surfski to an advanced surfski. I measure 1.72 and weigh between 67 and 70 kilograms, I have a narrow waist too. I want a surfski that has a good level in all weather conditions and had the doubt of an Elite S Carbon or an ELITE Spark Carbon. Could you help me?

Thank you so much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32342 by [email protected]
At your weight I think the Elite Spark would be a good choice... but I’m sure other people will comment too.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #32382 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Fenn Elite S or Fenn Elite Spark
Definitely the Spark. I'm 1.8 and 75 kg have owned both and much prefer the Spark. It's a great boat in big conditions, lower volume seems less affected making it more stable (for me) in big conditions than the Elite S. A bit of a wet ride but bucket is small so drains quick.
Before you buy, a good idea to make sure you are comfortable (or not far off) with stability in all conditions you're likely to paddle in.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32384 by fortyeight
My recommendation would be the Spark, for your weight.

It is relatively stable for an elite ski and a comfortable ride for smaller paddlers. I find it more stable
than the Elite S, and being small (65kg), feel more in control in the Spark, both in flat water and downwind conditions.

I recently paddled the new Fenn Surge, the Elite S, new V12 and Spark back to back:
- Surge - very lively, stability on par with Elite S and V12, but tippier than Spark
- very small and tight seat, making it uncomfortable to the point that I dismissed it as
a future purchase.
- Elite S - fast and stable ski, so capable in all conditions. But I am so much more comfortable in the
Spark, and therefore can put down more power in each stroke.
- V12 - fast and comfortable again, but I personally prefer to paddle Fenns.
- Spark - as fast as any elite ski on the market and for a small paddler, comfortable, great in
downwind conditions and tracks beautifully.

I currently paddle a Nelo 560M, a superelite V10L (< 8kg) and also a Swordfish S...all to suit the
prevailing conditions. Having previously owned and sold a Spark, for me, it is the best ski out there,
and consequently, I will buy another.

Gordon.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32386 by mcnye1
fortyeight - What is your waist measurement? How would you compare Surge and Spark for flat water speed? I am 1.7m, 69kg with a 76cm waist and looking for a flat water boat. Spark was on the list and the dealer is also suggesting the Surge. Of course I will demo. Thanks

More
5 years 7 months ago #32391 by fortyeight
My waist measurement is 30 cm.

Whilst very comfortable in the Spark, my lower back rubs /chafes in the bucket of
the Surge, which is deep and surprisingly tight.

Speed wise, there isn't much in it. Because I am more comfortable with the ergonomics of the Spark, I feel as if I am faster in this ski than the Surge.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32392 by fortyeight
Sorry ...30 inches, which is 76 cm.

• Marcabee
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #32408 by Marcabee
Replied by Marcabee on topic Fenn Elite S or Fenn Elite Spark
Hi alol, I posted a response but did not see it come through, so here it is again.
I am 75-76 kg , 32 waste. I have paddled the Spark and I am paddling the Elite S. So me, the Elite S is a more stable boat and i can power through better. Whereas the Spark was a tight fit and more twitchy. I like the Elite S predictable instability if that makes sense versus my current boat which is a Hawx 43. It may be more stable but it's initial stability is twitchy while the Fenn is much smoother. So I do not think the Spark is a definite winner in this weight division and would be interested to see other people's feedback. I will try the Surge for a demo paddle , that should be interesting.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32409 by [email protected]
(Sorry, missed your earlier post... we moderate the first two posts from new members to keep the spammers out.)

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 7 months ago #32415 by RedBack
As a smaller, lighter paddler who's test-paddled (and owned) more than a few low volume skis, I'd recommend trying the Carbonology Pulse.

No ski is perfect for every environment, circumstance or paddler, but for me the Pulse is the best compromise I've found yet.

If you get a chance, give it a try.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32445 by marc689
I tested the Carbonology Pulse and the Fenn Elite S and I found the Elite less "nervous" and more comfortable. In the Pulse I'm more unstable. The doubt was because I felt some pain in the backside, I suppose because of the rocking when paddling. Then the doubt between Elite S and Spark. I have no opportunity to try the Spark. More opinions are welcome. Thank you so much.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32458 by RedBack
I agree the Pulse takes a little bit of acclimatisation.

It's secondary stability is very good, but the "lively" primary can make it feel nervous for a while until you learn to trust it.

After that, it's a weapon.

Good luck with your quest.

More
5 years 4 months ago #32945 by marc689
Someone would be able to tell me from which weight the Elite S can be used. Some colleagues have told me that Spark gets a lot of water in Downwind. I am deciding for the Elite S. If someone can help me, please

More
5 years 4 months ago #32951 by [email protected]
According to the Fenn website, the Spark is designed for people < 80kg.

The year Jasper Mocke won the world series, he mostly paddled the Spark. At 78kg, he said that the Spark was ideal for most conditions. In "really big" conditions, he said it would nose dive a bit.

I used to have a Fenn Elite and at 80kg found the volume in the nose was troublesome when going upwind - for example going diagonally into strong wind to the start of the Miller's Run, as the nose of the boat went up over a wave, it would be blown sideways and the boat would be flung off course. Very disconcerting.

But I didn't have the same experience on the Elite S because the nose is appreciably smaller.

What do you weigh?

Rob

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #32954 by marc689
I'm 70 Kg, 172cm and 82 cm. But the year that Jasper Mocke did not win the existence of the Elite S. On the web Fenn does not put weight range for the Elite S.

Thanks
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by marc689.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #32956 by [email protected]
Ok...

Pete Cole (highly experienced coach, Fenn agent in Cape Town): recommends the Spark for 70kg paddler.

Travis Smith (Keith Fenn's right hand man at Fenn Kayaks): Said that the Elite S is an all-round boat and they do have people as light as 70kg paddling the Elite S. Said that probably the ideal weight for Elite S would be 80-100kg.

It also depends on where you're going to paddle and what type of paddling. Jasper Mocke said his experience was that the Spark only nose-dived in very big conditions - and he weighs nearly 10kg more than you.

So I would say that at 70kg, you probably wouldn't have any problems with the Spark nose-diving. The question is really whether you'd find the Elite S uncomfortably big.

The things to watch out for for a light paddler in the Elite S would be

• Stability - does the boat feel like is bobbing on top of the water like a cork?
  • Windward performance: If the wind keeps snatching at the front of the boat, then that might be an issue.

Rob

Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by [email protected].

More
5 years 4 months ago #32958 by marc689
More than nose dive I was referring to the cockpit full of water in big conditions, having very low sidebands and can get water in downwind conditions

Thanks you so much

More
9 months 1 week ago #40497 by pilotdov
I’m using a Carbonology Vault now and I have aspired to get the Elite Spark S. I need a low volume ski and looking for something faster and more suited for my weight and narrow hips. I’m 71 kilos. How is the spark in big downwind conditions like the Gorge or Millers run?

Latest Forum Topics