Fenn Swordfish?

More
13 years 5 days ago #6740 by mckengmsurfski
Anyone in S.A. get a chance to paddle the new Fenn Swordfish yet? Any photos or thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 days ago - 13 years 4 days ago #6741 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
They've done well to keep this under wraps, if the website I read is true they've been producing them for 3 months already :blink: cant to be too far away from a launch!?

This from one dealers website.....

...good news: in the next container arriving just befor Easter hollydays, we will have the new Fenn Elite SL.

Make your bookings now - only a few boats left!

Also we receive a demo boat from the brand new Fenn Swordfish - the next step after the XT.

- a comfortable fairly stable but fast intermediate boat -

A boat that has booked out the production for more than 3 months now! - not even beeing promoted yet!

I reckon 2011 will be the year of the intermediate boat!....
Carbonology Vault
Fenn Swordfish
Epic........
Think........ (or is the legend thier intermediate?)

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 4 days ago by AR_convert.

More
13 years 4 days ago #6744 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
There has been one in Durban for a few weeks now...ugly boat - don't care if it works well cos it looks clunky.

Rather buy a Vault!

More
12 years 11 months ago #6900 by rubberDuck
Replied by rubberDuck on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
I eventually got hold of some more info on the Swordfish, with some pictures.

Check here for the article.

Still nothing on Fenn's website though. :huh:

More
12 years 11 months ago #6907 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
One of the guys at our club has one. I've had a good look at it, but I haven't personally paddled it as I'm not in the market for one (I paddle an Elite.)

Feedback from the guys who have paddled it is that its stability is similar to an XT, and rubberduck's article link gives a pretty good overview.

As for the looks, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I think the ski has nice lines, particularly forward of the pedals where it is significantly sleeker than the XT.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6909 by rubberDuck
Andrew

I do agree with you. The Swordfish does not have nice lines, I think the Vault's lines are much more appealing.

But, I just can't go for the Vault. The sides of the bucket is just too high for an intermediate paddler to handle when remounting in rough seas. And we need all the help we can get to remount a boat when doing downwinds. I really don't care if the boat is drier because of it.

Not many experienced paddlers want to turn around in high winds to help another paddler that cannot get back into his boat.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by rubberDuck. Reason: spelling

More
12 years 11 months ago #6910 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
rubberDuck wrote:

But, I just can't go for the Vault. The sides of the bucket is just too high for an intermediate paddler to handle when remounting in rough seas.

Hmmm, I think there must be degrees of "intermediate" paddlers :dry:

I admit that when I bought my Vault I hadnt given too much consideration to the depth of the bucket, in fact I saw it as a feature that enabled me to be more stable in it.

It wasnt until a few days after I got it that I took it out in some 2-3 metre swells and 25knot winds I had the opportunity to fall out of it. It was a different kettle of fish getting back into than my V10L....mind you I didnt rate it too much harder either.

While the V10L bucket was easier to get my backside into I was probably more inclined to go over the other side when getting in.

It may just be a remounting technique adjustment issue for some paddlers

I've only come out a few more times in races in big conditions and each time have got in quicker.

I am now somewhat comfortable about being able to get back in regardless of the conditions after only having the boat a couple of months and in fact am getting to know the boat so much I would suggest that coming out will be a rarity now.

As I said there are probably degrees of "intermediate"...theres a fella been paddling a V10L with our "estuary" group for a few years and is rock solid most of the time. You take him out of the estuary in anything above a couple of feet and he cant handle the stress of thinking he's gonna fall out and turns back...we are trying to talk him into a V10 sport so he can get out and experience downwind paddling.

Like I said in an earlier post the release of the Swordfish and Vault are great to see for those of us in this paddling range and I bet there are other boats to come that are targeting this intermediate area.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6911 by rubberDuck
Yes, I am at the early part of intermediate. I can handle light downwind (10 to 15kts) paddles in my Horizon, and might even be able to handle tougher ones, but I just don't know yet as I am just to unsure that I will be able to get back into the boat when I fall out.

So, when looking for a step up from my Horizon, I was thinking it must give me some confidence that I might get back in. I don't believe that an intermediate boat must be as tough or tougher to get into compared to an elite boat like the V10 or V10L, etc.

I will still use my Horizon when tackling the tougher downwinds, but I was looking for something to start using in the lighter ones as the Horizon requires hard work to get the runs.

So yes, in summary there is a wide gap between beginner and elite, and I am at the lower end, you at the higher end.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6912 by rubberDuck
BTW, who likes the new BIG Fenn logo? I sure as hell think the older smaller one with the outlined Fenn font looked much more classy. The bold letters on the new one looks garish.

I think that when and if I do order a new Fenn I will have to attack it with my airbrush.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6913 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
I guess its in response to the BIG Epic logos and the BIG Think logos. I kind of like it...

More
12 years 11 months ago #6933 by rubberDuck
Looks like it helps to bitch every now and then.

Fenn is busy updating their websites. ;)

I have some more pics of the new Swordfish. I'd rather let them complete the update so you can see for yourselves.

Looks like it will be way faster than the XT.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7280 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
So, has anyone out there gotten to paddle one yet?

More
12 years 9 months ago #7283 by mario
Replied by mario on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
I've paddled a Swordfish.
Loved it.
Speed in my opinion is not too far off an Elite ski and it's very stable.
Felt that it would sort out my needing to brace in mixed up water and that i could just concentrate on paddling.
I reckon I would go faster in rough water.
On the flat I would prefer an Elite ski.
...and I didn't find it ugly at all but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Mario
I want one

More
12 years 9 months ago #7344 by MP7061
Replied by MP7061 on topic Re:Fenn Swordfish?
I have one of the new swordfish vacuum glass layups. Very, stable, very light, and pretty damn quick too. Still need to test it in some real downwind conditions, but so far I think it is great, and I think it will do very well.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8170 by mario
Replied by mario on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish?
Yesterday my first real paddle in the Swordfish in lumpy stuff. Came away smiling. Stable and seems fast too....cured of Elite skis!I'll go faster on this ski.Today watch the Springboks beat Australia and then a paddle on the Swordfish....Sweet morning!

More
12 years 6 months ago #8171 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish?
I wish you all the best Mario.....with the paddle that is!

Just on my way down the pub now to watch the Wallabies and the All Blacks.

Epic V10 Sport Performance

More
12 years 6 months ago #8181 by Moll
Replied by Moll on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish?
Can ayone give an honest and educated opinion of stability of the Swordfish vs the Synergy 2?

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

More
12 years 6 months ago #8185 by Colnagodreaming
Replied by Colnagodreaming on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish?
Hi Lads

would have written earlier but busy watching the Wallabies in the World Cup. Oh well,..........SA still have the swordfish anyway.

When are they going to arrive in West Australia ? have been waiting for months to try one out, the local ocean paddler in WA has no idea when they will arrivem if at all !! Fenn have never been known for their aggressive marketing but the swordwish is a marketing opportunity being wasted.

Surely there has never been such an interested market with no product available to play with or purchase. At least Mario, you have access to the ski, even though you missed the cup.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8186 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish?

Colnagodreaming wrote: When are they going to arrive in West Australia ?

This is why you need to be on Facebook Tom , this was just posted a few hours ago... and if you want one I'd buy it from this lot, after our win over the SAFFAS I dont know how long it'll be before they send any more boats ;)

OceanPaddler
SWORDFISH and SLs arrive in Perth this wednesday. The long awaited Perth container is due to be unpacked this Wednesday. The Swordfish has gone crazy on the East Coast and is set to do the same in WA. Perfect time to get on a great boat for the upcoming Anaconda and The Doctor events. Please contact us directly for delivery details on 02 80650385 or 0427171403 alternatively try Ash Nesbit on 0413177927.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8190 by mario
Replied by mario on topic Re: Fenn Swordfish?
Yep, Glum morning for me and the rest of South africa. :( Thought we would have pulled it out of the bag....good game though since it kept me on the edge of me seat the whole way.
Really like the Swordfish....very stable.
Have to try the Vault now.

Latest Forum Topics