Dumb Surf Ski Shootout boat question

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago #7338 by gnome
Just curious, in the Surf Ski Shootout report what is the boat called the Fenn Mako? As there is the Millenium, XT and Mako6.
Is it the Fenn Elite?
If it is the Mako Elite, Im a bit surprised the Mako6 was a bit quicker.
Gnome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #7346 by kiwial
The Mako was fenns production model pre 2000 (millenium)
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by kiwial.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7347 by Rightarmbad
Depends on which shootout you are talking about.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 8 months ago #7352 by Nige
Kiwial is correct, the Mako is the original Fenn which came out in 1996, followed in 2000 by the Millenium and by the Mako 6 in 2006.

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago #7355 by gnome
Replied by gnome on topic Re:Dumb Surf Ski Shootout boat question
Thanks for the input.
So if the Millenium is supposed to still be like the fastest ski, then why did the results indicate the opposite?
Or was it the paddlers doing the test where meer mortals like most of us, and to get the Milleniums to go the paddler must be awesome?
Gnome

More
12 years 8 months ago #7357 by Nige
I don't believe the Millenium is the fastest ski at all, and this is also borne out by a number of paddlers in our club who have them. Over the years I've progressed from the Mako to Millenium to Mako 6 and now Mako 6 Elite, and based on my experience each successive ski has been slightly quicker than its predecessor. Most importantly however, each new ski has been better on the runs and on the wave face, and this is particularly noticeable with the Elite, which will turn on a wave where the Mako 6 will stall or broach. I'm still waiting to have a decent paddle on the Elite SL, which I've only tried on flat water for a short while, but I'm very happy with my carbon Elite so I'm in no hurry to change.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7361 by Rightarmbad
I put nearly 5km on the SL Carbon and was quite impressed.
Very predictable and a solid secondary stability.
Turning was quite impressive in the waves.

I've only paddled an Elite in the flat so I can't offer any opinion, other than I liked it much more than my V10.
I found it quite forgiving.

I don't think it is the fastest boat in flat water, but in the bumps, it ticks all the right boxes.
The guy that tested it a bit after me was impressed enough to buy it on the spot.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics