paddling injury

More
12 years 7 months ago #7486 by boss
paddling injury was created by boss
I am new to ocean paddling and have found I am getting a sore left elbow. I have previoulsy paddled kayaks and not had the same soreness. I paddle 3/4 week about 12ks. Any body got any tips or ideas what the cause is other than getting old.

THXS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7487 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re:paddling injury
Is it like tennis elbow? If so, perhaps you need to relax your grip on the paddle, when not pulling on that side open the hand. I run a little grip tape on my paddles, this enables an overall looser relaxed grip without the paddle slipping in my grasp.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7490 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:paddling injury
A few tips from my experience.

Apart from Greg's suggestion (which I also do)...

Since switching to an adjustable paddle I have changed the blade angles so there is much less wrist flexion required, that has helped me.

Rather than paddle 12km 3/4 times a week try alternating shorter paddles with longer paddles to give the elbow a rest until it adjusts to the workload.

If using a long paddle or large blade reduce the length of the paddle or size of blade to use cadence instead of grinding away with a long paddle/large blade.

Apart from that, "ICE" as soon as you finish paddling to reduce inflammation. I good way to ice small spots like the elbow apart from the bag of peas trick is to freeze water in a disposable cup, cut the bottom of the cup away and then apply it to the area so you can also massage it with the ice block.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 7 months ago #7518 by boss
Replied by boss on topic Re:paddling injury
thxs for the replys. I did change he angle on my blade as per the suggestions and have seen an immediate improvement. I am also looking at borrowing a smaller shorter blades to trial. On stroke rate, whats an average stroke ??

:) :)

More
12 years 7 months ago #7531 by ionas
Replied by ionas on topic Re:paddling injury
if on really flatwater, you can expect a higher rate, as you are not using the paddle for support at all, just speed - 100 per minute is normal, if in open water and choppy seas, rate is reduced, as you naturally rely on the paddle for a bit of support as well - maybe you are down to 80 ... obviously we are talking training mode not racing mode! if you race you will obviously be chugging at a super rate!

More
12 years 7 months ago #7532 by Kombuis
Replied by Kombuis on topic Re: paddling injury
I started surfskiing in 2007 and after about 4 months also started experiencing tennis elbow from paddling - very similar distances to what you mentioned. It became REALLY painful and I started living on pain killers. I tried a number of options to address the pain - rest, physio on a number of occasions with no lasting solution. A few doctors suggested surgery which I was not keen on. I then went to a chiropractor who gave me two sessions of needles to ease things. After about two weeks the pain was gone completely. At about the same time I saw a crankshaft paddle made by MaxPaddle which looked interesting because I felt it would provide a more positive feel in the water and limit the stretch on the outer arm (elbow area). I bought the paddle and must say I haven't experienced another day of elbow pain which I'm really pleased about. I had got to the point where I thought I'd have to stop paddling. I can't say for sure what made the difference but its great to be able to go out and paddle for as long as I like without even thinking about the elbow. Good luck.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7533 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: paddling injury
I used to get tennis elbow with all my offroad motorcycle riding (I work in the industry and used to ride about 3 times a week) I was wearing a strap for support but it got to the point where I could hardly take the cap of the toothpaste let alone pull the clutch in, my left arm was pretty useless due to the injury. I put up with this issue for about two years.

My wife bought home a device she borrowed from a friend who swore by it. Can never remember what it was called, something like a bio light? Anyway it comes with different coloured lenses and a heat component and you shine the light on the injury for a couple of minutes in a sequence of different colours. The different light frequency's effect different layers under the skin. I was a disbeliever and it sat on the coffee table in front of me for a week unused.

One night, after two weeks of not riding due to the pain and the night before an all day trail ride which I had given up on being able to ride, I thought what's the harm and I tried it out. Well #xx* me! The next morning I woke up with no pain and even felt like I could ride, which is what I did and never experienced tennis elbow again! I still can't believe it but its true.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7580 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re:paddling injury

ionas wrote: if on really flatwater, you can expect a higher rate, as you are not using the paddle for support at all, just speed - 100 per minute is normal, if in open water and choppy seas, rate is reduced, as you naturally rely on the paddle for a bit of support as well - maybe you are down to 80 ... obviously we are talking training mode not racing mode! if you race you will obviously be chugging at a super rate!

You would, or should, find the opposite. On the flat, you can lengthen out your stroke and apply more power, thereby reducing the stroke rate. Downwind or choppy conditions, you are accelerating and surfing all the time, so the stroke rate will be very high, then eased off, then high, and so on, and so on.

As some of the guys have suggested, relax your grip. If you grip is over tight, it may be a symptom of feeling uncomfortable in choppy conditions, and may relate back to your choice of ski. Yet another reason I always suggest people starting out get a ski that suits their level right now, not where they would like to be in 12 or 18 months time. Your comfort on the water should increase with time spent in challenging conditions.

I would also recommend icing the joint after paddling.

Hope your problems clear up soon.

• DvanB
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #7590 by DvanB
Replied by DvanB on topic Re:paddling injury
Something I read in another post somewhere, and it relates directly to grip. After putting on sunscreen, wash your hands thoroughly to get any lotion off your palms, before picking up your paddle. If the paddle shaft or your hands are greasy, you end up squeezing too hard on the paddle. It's something that I never gave any though to, but was guilty of.

Latest Forum Topics