touching up dings

• JohnZo
  • Visitor
14 years 10 months ago #3377 by JohnZo
touching up dings was created by JohnZo
I just picked up an '08 glass evo and am having a blast. Boats sure have come a long way since I gave up on my old millenium and XT.

The boat has a few small chips, one of which is down to the glass. I think I read that the older Thinks were paint on top of a thin gellcoat. Anyone done any patch work? I am comfortable working with gellcoat but am tempted to just use a bit of touch up paint if that will work. It's not leaking and the glass is undamaged so it is simply a cosmetic repair and a desire to keep the glass from absorbing water.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3379 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:touching up dings
Johnzo- just traded up from my evo to a legend ! lovin it , any way , assuming you are in north america , Krylon Fusion spray paint works awesome , they have a safety orange and a stone grey which are super close matches to th glass evo paint, you can spray some of the paint into a cup and brush it in scratches/chips with a small model brush. I had a big digger on the nose and masked off and spayed it out (don't spay the tape line or you will have a step.) Any way , maybe not what the pros would to but inexpensive , easy , and totally adequate. If your boat don't have any dings or scratches you ain't using it enough ! So Ding On ! Sandy

More
14 years 10 months ago #3382 by bobmoffatt
Replied by bobmoffatt on topic Re:touching up dings
Hi Sandy,just had a look at Krylon's web site are the colours
Pumkin(saftey orange)#2337 and River Rock #2323 ?????????

cant find a supplier in Australia and if you say they are a close match then I will order a couple of cans from the States

regards Bob.

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

More
14 years 10 months ago #3384 by Sandy
Bob , those are the numbers ! River Rock 2323 , Safety Orange/pumpkin 2337 ! I just sprayed a little out of the orange can and it looked weird. Dunno if the paint goes bad or what , that particular can was over a year old so.....The fusion paint however sticks great and seems to be plenty hard for durability ( I am sure to be blastin some on the legend b4 long as the launches and lands and transports etc. leave their mark. I have to hang my 21.5 ' ski diagonally (vert & horiz.) in a 20' garage ! by golly I even have a sea boat and a surf kayak in there and can still park my golf ! any way DING , arrhhh.....

More
14 years 10 months ago #3385 by bobmoffatt
thanks for checking the paint Sandy,Have you had your Legend out in the "rough stuff" yet? how did it compare with the EVO

no one seems to have reviewed the Legend's capabilities in rougher conditions. I have paddled one but only for a short distance and on a calm sea.

thanks again Bob

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

• JohnZo
  • Visitor
14 years 10 months ago #3386 by JohnZo
Replied by JohnZo on topic Re:touching up dings
Thanks Sandy, that's a huge help!

More
14 years 10 months ago #3387 by Sandy
Bob- YES , out in the whitecaps the day I bought it ! Did a little swimming as the Legend ,relatively stable, won't allow the "smear factor" of the evo. Evo is awesome in its forgiveness , the legend less so. It surfs like a mutha though and after a few sessions I figgered out the differences. On the legend there is no hanging out waiting for something to happen in rough conditions, active paddling is rewarded with stability(as always). On the Evo I was comfortable getting sloppy , NOT the legend. It is definetly more stable than Mako 6 / Elite . I come from whitewater and sea kayaking so am loving the feel of the hard chine and its role in secondary stability , you will need to get a feel for it but once you do you can lay right on it ! My workout times have improved slightly and speed downwind is definetly faster(meas. on Garmin 305). Anyway maybe that helps , If I coulda afforded to have two skis I woulda fer sure kept the Evo(my first ski and a great boat) Ta' Sandy

More
14 years 10 months ago #3394 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re:touching up dings
Hey guys,

Just to let you know, we are going to have touch up kits available soon, which will be an exact match for your ski.

Not sure on time lines for you guys in the States/Canada, but we will have them available in Australia with the next container of stock, due in a few weeks.

Cheers.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3398 by bobmoffatt
Hi Stewart,
as usual great service from Quantum/Think, I will keep checking Geartrade for arrival of touch up kits or Guy over here in the West.

regards Bob

More
14 years 10 months ago #3407 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re:touching up dings
Hi Bob,

I'll get a kit over to you as soon as they get in.

Hope you're cranking that Evo up on the Doctor winds!!

Cheers.

Latest Forum Topics