Opinions/reviews regarding Think Uno Max

More
12 years 6 months ago #7675 by mckengmsurfski
Curious as to what those of you fortunately enough to have paddled the Think Uno Max have concluded about the ski.
Specifically in regards to its stability, speed, and how it paddles in various conditions compared to the competition (Epic V12, Fenn Elite, etc...)?
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_convert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7721 by mrak
I received my carbon Think Uno Max 5 weeks ago and have been loving it. I also have an Epic V10 Ultra so I can only compare it to that. The Uno Max feels a bit tippier than the V10 but it also feels a bit quicker to me. I don't have a GPS to prove that statement with timed distances, but that's my gut feeling.
It picks up runs well, feels responsive, drains very quickly and handles side chop and head wind nicely too. I really like the way the cockpit is a few centimetres further forward than the V10 and the nose angles down. It's got an aggressive feel and positions you for a good catch.

Some of the little touches are appreciated. The hatch contains a small dry sac, the pedal system is firm underfoot and the seat is exceptionally comfortable. If I had one quibble, it's that the Carbon Thinks have an enamel spray over top rather than a thin gel coat. They look great but can mark more easily than the gel coat. Perhaps weight saving issues are a factor here. It seems a very well made ski and has been standing up to the almost daily use very well.

I still really like my V10. It's a great boat, but it's been sulking in the carport lately as I've been neglecting it for the Uno Max.
Would I buy another Uno Max if something happened to mine? Definitely.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #7722 by AR_convert

mrak wrote: I received my carbon Think Uno Max 5 weeks ago and have been loving it. I also have an Epic V10 Ultra so I can only compare it to that. I don't have a GPS to prove that statement with timed distances, but that's my gut feeling.

Sheesh :huh: you've probably got over $8k worth of ski's, you think you could drop a lazy $200 on a GPS :whistle:

Even a poor Uni student like me cant do without my GPS :P

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7723 by Stew

mckengmsurfski wrote: Curious as to what those of you fortunately enough to have paddled the Think Uno Max have concluded about the ski.
Specifically in regards to its stability, speed, and how it paddles in various conditions compared to the competition (Epic V12, Fenn Elite, etc...)?

Thanks for your interest in the Uno Max. The design was released a year ago, and is aimed at performing well in big conditions, and to be used by bigger paddlers. It is also more stable than its sister boat, the Uno. It's done pretty well on the international stage in both flat and downwind conditions. As with any ski, it's best to try and take one for a paddle to see how it feels with you in the bucket. If I can help with any information in the mean time, please do not hesitate to ask.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7724 by Stew

mrak wrote: I received my carbon Think Uno Max 5 weeks ago and have been loving it. I also have an Epic V10 Ultra so I can only compare it to that. The Uno Max feels a bit tippier than the V10 but it also feels a bit quicker to me. I don't have a GPS to prove that statement with timed distances, but that's my gut feeling.
It picks up runs well, feels responsive, drains very quickly and handles side chop and head wind nicely too. I really like the way the cockpit is a few centimetres further forward than the V10 and the nose angles down. It's got an aggressive feel and positions you for a good catch.

Some of the little touches are appreciated. The hatch contains a small dry sac, the pedal system is firm underfoot and the seat is exceptionally comfortable. If I had one quibble, it's that the Carbon Thinks have an enamel spray over top rather than a thin gel coat. They look great but can mark more easily than the gel coat. Perhaps weight saving issues are a factor here. It seems a very well made ski and has been standing up to the almost daily use very well.

I still really like my V10. It's a great boat, but it's been sulking in the carport lately as I've been neglecting it for the Uno Max.
Would I buy another Uno Max if something happened to mine? Definitely.

Great to hear you are enjoying the ski so much Mark. It's really great as a manufacturer to read comments such as this, and know we're helping people enjoy our great sport.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7730 by mckengmsurfski
Stew,
Thanks for the input. I'm in the States and we've not had the luck of getting the Max as of yet even though its been out a year now.
As for trying one out, that would be ideal, but Think skis are hard to come by in our region, hence the post.
Sounds like a great ski. Hopefully I can get hold of one to try sooner rather than later.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7731 by mckengmsurfski
Mrak,
Thanks for the info.
Sounds like a great ski.
In terms of the bucket compared to the V10, would you say the Max bucket is the same width, more narrow, or wider?

More
12 years 6 months ago #7737 by Rightarmbad
Max bucket is a touch tighter than a V10.
Very well shaped.
The footplate also leans forward a little more than the V10.
I rekon it's probably a little bit looser when upright, but the secondary stability kicks in a touch earlier and stronger overall than the V10.

The seating position also feels to be a little higher in the seat, probably only a cm more or there abouts.
I lengthened my paddle 2cm as soon a I had paddled 100m, over my V10 setting.

The steering needs a greater pedal movement, especially in the centre of the range compared to the V10.

The rudder that I tried was smaller than the V10 and didn't make the ski react as much when it was turned.
I paddled the glass layup.
The ski definitely tracked better across the small boat wake waves that I played on than I believe my V10 would have.

I suspect that the difference in looseness across the top will disappear as soon as you get it in the waves.
It may even be less reactive to small sharp chop because of it.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 6 months ago #7739 by mrak
I dont want to hijack this thread but I love AR convert's post about the value of my skis compared to a gps! True, owning two lovely skis is a luxury. I'm 51 this year so I deserve my own mid-life crisis thankyou(and I don't want a red sports car or Harley). So two gun skis is my reward to myself for surviving thus far! Actually, it's an investment in my health... and sanity! And if one ski is in for repairs etc I can grab the other. As I said, luxury.
However, I know next to nothing about how a gps works or how it would improve my training, so maybe I should save up and find out! Thanks for the idea AR convert. Also Rightarmband is spot on with his extra comments about the Uno Max. The Uno Max has a tighter seat which gives great support and control. Love it. I hope the Uno Ms make it to the States soon for you McKengmsurf; we're starting to see a fair few of them here in Sydney.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7740 by mckengmsurfski
Mrak,
Nice stuff. I'm 41 and own 3 skis (Nelo Ocean Vintage, V12 Ultra, and V10 Sport Ultra) but I own a GPS, so that makes it OK. Like you it keeps me sane, keeps be from being a complete slob, and represents my second sporting life.
You should definitely get a GPS. Once you start using it, you won't paddle without it. The main 2 options these days seem to be the Garmin 310XT and the new Timex Ironman GPS, though I'm sure there are others. I have a Garmin and it's surprisingly easy to use, even for me.
Alas, the Max does not appear to be coming to the US this year. Oh, well. I'll survive somehow....

More
12 years 6 months ago #7741 by mrak
And if Garmin gave me one and I could actually figure it out, then they could truly add "foolproof" to their advertising claims!

More
12 years 6 months ago #7742 by AR_convert

mrak wrote: but I love AR convert's post about the value of my skis compared to a gps! True, owning two lovely skis is a luxury. I'm 51 this year so I deserve my own mid-life crisis thankyou(and I don't want a red sports car or Harley). So two gun skis is my reward to myself for surviving thus far! Actually, it's an investment in my health... and sanity! I know next to nothing about how a gps works or how it would improve my training, so maybe I should save up and find out!

:) When my missus makes comment about the cost of my ski's, mountain bikes, road bikes, GPS. etc, I always remind her I could be down the pub betting on horses, or racing motorcross, go carts etc etc, I thoroughly agree our hobby keeps us fit both physically and mentally!

Enjoy your ski's!!! ;)

Even if you dont bother plugging your GPS into your computer to download, just having it in front of you telling you how far you have gone, what speed you are doing, what your heart rate is etc does add another dimesion to paddling, and they are very easy to use out of the box B)

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrak

More
12 years 6 months ago #7745 by Kocho
Can anyone compare the seat width of the Think Uno Max to the seat width in the Evo II? How about leg room?

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #7810 by kiwial
Wide point on Evo II bucket about 400mm
Wide point on Uno Max bucket about 385mm
A touch more leglength on the Max but they both have more than enough room for any paddler I have ever seen
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by kiwial.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7821 by Kocho
Thanks! I am 192cm at 80-85kg and had enough leg room in the Evo II but the bucket was touching my thigh bones (with summer shorts only) in a way that I thought I would not mind having just a couple extra mm on each side. As it is it is too tight for winter paddling with a layer or two under dry pants... Sounds like the Max is even narrower, though the sides profile might be different (e.g., if the sides of the seat were more vertical that would solve the problem).

More
12 years 6 months ago #7838 by kiwial
The buckets are slightly different, if it helps my "little" brother is 195cm, 90kg, 34" waist and he found the bucket perfect when he raced mine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho

More
11 years 11 months ago #11122 by eliot
Looking at Uno Max, looks like a great ski, but would also need a bus (with roof rack) for transport...

Attachments:

More
11 years 11 months ago #11144 by Stew
Glad you like my photo, Eliot.

The Uno Max is 6.4mts, so pretty standard at the elite level of skis.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11145 by eliot
Thanks Stew, the photo makes it look longer, but then again, I don't see many paddlers holding their skis vertically :) Looks like a great boat, I hope to try it out some day.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11146 by Stew
The ski isn't vertically challenged, while the holder is ;)

Latest Forum Topics