Details on Think skis

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #9389 by fredrik
I’m interested in updated information on the Think skis, but fail to find it. However, the pictures and info on Think’s Facebook and thinkkayaks.com.au provides a few clues. Thinkkayaks.com has been “dead” for years, and probably not updated since Uno was made available (no mention of Evo II, Uno Max or Eze, and all in 1 generation paint schemes).

The Australian Think reps are, however, doing a fantastic job for the brand and in my mind running the international marketing efforts. Impressive!!!!

Nevertheless, it would be nice to see the following in one place:

1.Models (actual models produced/marketed going forward): Eze, Evo II, Uno, Uno Max (anyone buying factory new Evo and Legend these days??. I haven’t found any pictures of new boats)

2.Factory: I hear production is moved back to China from Thailand due to quality issues

3. Available layups: It has been some changes here. Right?? Carbon is gone??

4.Construction: skin and internal structure would be nice to know. Any changes in new China factory? (seemed like the Thailand boats were different from old China factory)

5.Weight(s):

6. Specs: Old stuff, I guess

7. Description of main characteristics: thinkkayaks.com.au provides this.

8. Pictures:

Hopefully these are not trade secrets :-)

Anyone/Stew/Adam: I’m sure (hope!) a couple of hours on this will save you a lot of work answering questions…… and help you selling boats when it is easier to compare the Think fleet with other available boats.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by fredrik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9393 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Details on Think skis
Hi Fredrick,

I run the Think distribution in Australia, including thinkkayak.com.au and the facebook page, so I'll answer your questions as best I can. Here goes :) :

1. The product line up is as follows:

Eze
Fit
Evo II
Legend
Uno
Uno Max

2. For the Australian market, we had skis coming from both Thailand and China (model dependent). That has been streamlined to China due to significant cost increases on some construction options in Thailand.

3, 4 + 5. The construction layups are as follows:

Performance - Glass/Coremat/Glass 15kgs. White with orange stripes.

Elite - Kevlar/Honeycomb/Kevlar 12kgs. White with yellow stripes.

Ultimate - Carbon/Honeycomb/Kevlar - 10.5Kgs. Clear coat carbon with yellow stripes

Please note, that for Australia, the Ultimate construction is a special order, maximum lead time is 12 weeks (quarterly containers into Sydney at this stage, with extra ones into other states when required).

All skis have internal stringers, as well as internal seams (not bonded but Kevlar tape)

6. All ski specs are on thinkkayak.com.au

7. As outlined, brief descriptions are on thinkkayak.com.au

8. I will have some new pictures of the Evo II, Uno Max and Eze loaded onto the website in the next few days to correspond with the new colour schemes. Some of the photos on there currently are indeed of older colour scheme craft, but are the current shapes.

Hopefully that helps with the information you were after. In addition to the few changes outlined above, I will be adding lots more blogs to the site in the coming weeks and months, as well as providing daily photos, videos, links, observations and ramblings on the Facebook page, which has proved to be pretty popular and good fun with lots of customer interaction.

As ever, if you have any specific questions on anything related to Think Kayak, please do not hesitate to contact us. Your paddling is our passion, and we're here to help. It's also very helpful to see posts like this, as it helps us address our shortcomings, and build on the things we've been doing well.

Cheers,

Stewart.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9399 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: Details on Think skis
As always the com.au team delivers the goods :-)

I have an old Evo glass, which I was considering to upgrade as my big ocean option (uno for the other days) It was actually news to me that the Evo model has been discontinued and has been replaced by Evo II. As a bomb proof option for the "ocean-washing-machine" days the Evo II Elite is the ultimate choice for me. It is faster than you may know, responsive and super comfy.

AR convert: I know that the truth is that it fits me like an old shoe, and the Vault is probably/maybe just as fast, responsive and comfy.

It is also interesting to hear that the production is back to China. I believe that technical information in general is interesting for the buyers, and could make a difference when buying a new or used ski to ensure fit-for-purpose, identification of potential weak points when buying used and as a help when repairs are needed.

So far the only thing I really wish you consider is a single footstrap option, just as you provide different rudders. I would have preferred wire lines to the rudder, because I feel that give you a more solid feel, but that not a big issue in my mind

I consider the think.com.au as my homepage for Think, but I hope agree behind closed doors that the head office think.com pages are embarrassing.

Thanks you your enthusiasm – it rubs off!! And with video tips from Jim at Mykayakcoach we may even become better paddlers.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9403 by Stew
Hi again Fredick,

The Evo mold is still abailable, but the Evo II is the new updated version which is all that will be stocked in Australia. I can bring in Evos upon request (actually have one left in stock). I'm sure other distributors could arrange similar, but would need a little notice. That said, I think if you have lots of experience on the Evo, the Evo II will really impress you.

Regarding the single foot strap, I can supply them. To be honest, of the hundreds of skis we've sold here in Australia at this stage, I've supplied about 5 single foot straps ever. I am a huge fan of the double strap arrangement, I really do think it works better than a single one, but of course that is my personal preference. We are all different!

The choice for us using Q-Power Spectra cord was to use a product with a higher breaking strain than traditional stainless cables, as well as providing very quick and easy adjustments if required.

Jim has been doing lots of playing around with new cameras lately, and only this week I popped a new runners video up which we've had lots of great feed back on. Plenty more to come. If there is any topic you would like covered for a future video, let me know and we can look at doing it.

Cheers, have a nice weekend,

Stewart.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9500 by Stew
Hi Fredrik,

Just a quick heads up, the Think Kayak website has had a refresh this week. You can check it out here:

thinkkayaks.com/

Hopefully this goes some way to answering some of the questions for you guys internationally (ie, not Aus).

Cheers,

Stew.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9502 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: Details on Think skis
Now we're talking !!! :-)

• Arnt
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #9505 by Arnt
Replied by Arnt on topic Re: Details on Think skis
You can also see more pictures of all modells here:
www.utinaturen.no/?mid=1545
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics