Fitting a self-bailer

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #15985 by Schravesande
My ski has a single footwell with adjustable pedals but no self-bailer.

Because of where I live I will have to fit one myself if I decide to do so.

Any tips or guidance would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #15990 by Kayaker Greg
Shouldn't be too difficult, have a look at a Stellar ski and get yourself parts 191, 192 and the venturi bullet, www.stellarkayaks.co.nz/spareparts.html find a bit of pvc tubing from the hardware store to suit the plug then an appropriate hole saw, masking tape over where you are going to drill through the hull both sides, drill from under the hull then through the pilot hole inside the footwell drill through the footwell, the masking tape should prevent chipping of the gel coat if you drill from both sides with a sharp hole saw, (don't drill from one side all the way through the other and avoid pushing the gel coat up) then epoxy the pvc tube in place, plus the venturi cover and bullet, use a good marine two part epoxy like the West System epoxy.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #15991 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Fitting a self-bailer
be sure you seal with epoxy the edges of the laminate you drill through to prevent the core material from sucking up water , very important !

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #15994 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Fitting a self-bailer
I used some pvc pipe for the hole and some larger pipe for the shroud. Works well with the bullet
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by Boof Head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schravesande

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16014 by Schravesande
Thanks to all. You are right it is not a difficult job but it is always better to hear from those who have done it. Always somethng you did not think of e.g drilling from both sides and coating the core with epoxy.

I now have all the parts so will get on with it.

Thanks again.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16020 by [email protected]

Schravesande wrote: My ski has a single footwell with adjustable pedals but no self-bailer.

Because of where I live I will have to fit one myself if I decide to do so.

Any tips or guidance would be appreciated.

See also: Fitting Bullet Scuppers

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics