NELO 520 ski feedback

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
6 years 9 months ago #28917 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic NELO 520 ski feedback
That's right... as of now, I have been told that there will only be two different 550 - the two will share the same hull, the L will have a larger cockpit, while the M/L will have an average sized cockpit.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #28919 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic NELO 520 ski feedback
He might have seen that one but that post still states that the Swordfish is faster. He mentions it for use by an intermediate paddler, likewise for elite paddler as well.

Oscar on the other hand can paddle the 520 at around 15/16km/hr downwind, does that mean it is faster than the V14 for most people? The answer is maybe if you are unable to paddle the V14, it all depends on ability. Downwind is what it is all about and the ability to stay upright and paddle as hard as you want onto waves.

More
6 years 9 months ago #28934 by Hacker Mike
Replied by Hacker Mike on topic NELO 520 ski feedback
Regarding the speed of the Nelo 520 vs the Swordfish, obviously if one is unable to stay upright on the SF, the 520 will be faster. However, assuming one is competent enough to paddle both boat in the conditions presented, the SF is definitely the faster boat. And so it should be.

That said, I paddled the Nelo 520 again in 15-20 knot winds and 1-1.5m swell with some areas of bounce back. In these conditions, I can say that the 520 was the most fun I have had on a ski in a long time. It is so nimble, being able to turn and accelerate onto the smallest bump in no time. Big thumbs up for the boat in terms of fun factor.

The jury is still out for me regarding how the boat will perform when it gets big and steep. I am concerned about the lack of volume in the nose and the forward seating position. Has anyone else had experience with the 520 in big conditions. I would really appreciate comment on your experiences.

Michael

More
6 years 9 months ago #28936 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic NELO 520 ski feedback
Yes Hacker Mike. You hit the nail on the head with your assessment.

I have yet to paddle the 520 but regularly paddle the V8 and as you mentioned the FUN factor. Why O Why do people insist on paddling the tippiest skis out there, no fun in that if you CANNOT sit in it! I prove every time I race the V8 that they are no faster or but slower than me on their tippy skis. However I am having fun, yes very wet in bigger conditions and a bit slower when dead flat but it all boils down to having fun.

Can not wait to paddle the 520, very lean on the ground (water) in Perth.

Latest Forum Topics