Think Fit for smaller paddler?

More
15 years 6 months ago #2445 by buffy1270
Hi. I am thinking of purchasing a kevlar layup Think Fit. I will likely only have one boat for a while and the Fit seemed good because it is a cross between a surfski and kayak. That way, I could use a spray skirt to paddle through winter which I couldn't do on a regular surf ski. How do you think this boat would do for a 5'5" 124 pound paddler? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2446 by doncraigdesign
Buffy, you don't say anything about where you paddle and your experience level. For your size, you may find this wide boat to be "huge" for you.

I have tried the Fit and found it just OK. If you are interested in paddling in waves, then the Evo or a Huki S1-R might be a better choice. If you paddle in very cold water and you want/need the spray skirt protection, then it will probably be a fine boat. It won't keep up with the longer skis in most conditions and I doubt that it will be nearly as much fun as a full-size ski is in the waves.

One word of caution; take a long test paddle in any boat that you might buy. Seat comfort varies greatly between boats (I suppose it's the paddlers who vary greatly in bum shape). I find with Think and Epic boats that I have a lot of lower back discomfort from the relatively flat cockpit back. I have two pressure points that make it very uncomfortable to paddle for more than an hour. I'm much happier in a Huki or Mako.

So try the boat before you buy.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2449 by buffy1270
Hi. Thanks. I can only afford one boat at the moment which is why I was looking at the Fit - I figure it would be good for year round training where a surf ski is not as versatile in that regard. I paddle in the following areas: tidal rivers, ocean harbors, flatwater lakes that sometimes are rough, rivers. I paddle in multisport races and kayak races. Unfortunately, the only boats I have available to demo here are Epics - there are no dealers with other type boats close by. I have also thought about the Nelo Viper which is a sea kayak/K1 cross with more stability but I was worried about its rough water performance.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
15 years 6 months ago #2450 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re:Think Fit for smaller paddler?
Buffy,

I have use of the kevlar Fit. Love the boat. Buy a 2008 or newer model though. Think made some improvements to the design that are worth paying for: cockpit behind you goes deeper and there are drains around the coamings.

Its a great all around boat. I find it stable and that it surfs well. Gives a good work out, and come race day, its not too much slower than my Evo or V10S.

Get a good gripping skirt though. Mine doesn't grip that well and has come off a few times (I'm making some changes with 2 sided velcro to give it better grip)
The seat is the same as the Evo, so if you like that seat, then you're golden.

Only gripe is that you can't roll it.It takes practice to get get a good recovery method down. You really should learn the straddle method of recovery though. I just retro fitted some tighter fitting deck lines (using bungy and fairleads) so you can do a paddle float rescue.

Sean

More
15 years 6 months ago #2452 by gdcinbc
Buffy
the FIT is a great 'cross' boat, I have been in a Fit over the last winter & worked out great. The boat is fast, and with the right paddler, it can beat surfskis! Getting back in it is way easier than a regular kayak and a bit more effort than a ski...again the 'cross' concept kicks in. Best to try this boat out yourself that is the only way to get a feel; the bad thing is there isnt much else to compare to you'd either get a ski or a kayak...i'd go for a Fit and it looks nice too!

Latest Forum Topics