Stellar V Epic

More
12 years 11 months ago #6711 by Boof Head
Stellar V Epic was created by Boof Head
www.stellarkayaks.com.au/flyingeagle.html

Awhile ago allegations and insinuations were being thrown around about the manufacturers of the Stellar surf skis . The link above makes for an interesting read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6714 by thames
Replied by thames on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
Apparently the lawsuit is now finalised. I haven't heard much about the outcome other than Epic having received their boats and molds back.

www.epickayaks.com/racing/blog/gregbarton/new-year-in-china

Given that Epic merely state that a ruling has been made, and haven't created a song and dance about the ruling being in their favour I assume the ruling was in favour of Flying Eagle.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by thames.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6717 by AdamV10L
Replied by AdamV10L on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
Assumptions are exactly that. One could equally assume that as they received their boats and moulds back that it was in their favour.

old topics these that have caused a previous 100 plus (some heated) responses a while ago.

My 2 cents worth - time to leave it and move on.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6723 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
Agree Adam. I only drop in from time to time and missed this one www.surfski.info/forum/1-general/5635-fl...-to-every-story.html.

Apologies All for a re hash

More
12 years 11 months ago #6724 by thames
Replied by thames on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
Given the considerable interest in this case over the past few years it is reasonable that people might want to know what the outcome was.

In 08 and 09 Epic made some very strong public allegations, stating decit and extortion by Flying Eagle. Greg Baton is said to be an ethical person with high integrity so it would seem fair that Epic should publically qualify those past statements in light of the recent ruling.

After that - I agree it’s time to move on.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6727 by Boof Head
I just fitted an Epic surf rudder to my Stellar SE. Still wondering if its worth my while to fit a salvaged Red7 bullet :woohoo: Maybe I should lawyer up.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6728 by outriggerbev
Replied by outriggerbev on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
just wondering why you would fit the epic rudder to the stellar boat-

More
12 years 11 months ago #6730 by Tom_D
Replied by Tom_D on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
I replaced the stock rudder on my SES with Stellar's new "surf" rudder. The pivot shaft is closer to the mid point, like an Epic rudder, instead of right at the front as in the stock Stellar rudder. It seems to have a better all around feel and response in my opinion. It is not shaped like the nice fat oval Epic surf rudder. It is angled back more like the stock SE rudder or the Epic universal rudder. I haven't had the boat is any really big downwind condition yet so the jury is still out, my guess is that Epic's rudder would be more stable in big conditions.

Tom

More
12 years 11 months ago #6731 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
I queried this when looking into stellar and was told that they were going back to the more conventional rudder post placement with the model upgrades earlier this year, so if you have an older stellar and are not liking the feel of it this could be worth trying before changing boats?!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #6734 by Boof Head
Just got bAck from my first paddle with the new rudder setup. Incredible diffence. iPad down to 2% so will have to get back to you all. HEading up the sunny coast in a minute so will hopefully have some surf to give it a good comparison.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6735 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
Does the epic rudder fit straight on to a stellar or are modifications required. What was the cost of the stellar v the epic. Looking on the epic website, their surf rudder was $125. A new surf rudder for my Think cost $55 including postage.....both made in China. Can't find the cost of a stellar rudder.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6736 by Tom_D
Replied by Tom_D on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
My Epic rudders all have a large diameter steering tube. The Stellar is a smaller solid shaft. Some mods (threading the epic maybe) would be required. The new Stellar surf rudder is 80 USD which is close to the Epic price I think.

Tom

More
12 years 11 months ago #6746 by Boof Head
The Stellar shaft is a smaller diameter than the Epic. Modding the Epic surf rudder was a bit of a process. I already had an epic foil. It originally had the carbon shaft which, surprise surprise, snapped. I souced some Stainless steel rod to suit the Stellar tube. The biggest problem with making your own rudders is the square drive on the shaft that many manufacturers use. The Epic clamp bar system makes the process very easy and I was fortunate enough to have a spare one. The clamp bar won't tighten on to the smaller dia. shaft so I machined a nylon bush to suit.

I am very happy with the Stellar for the most part but have found it lacking for downwind paddling and surfing. It wallows and the rudder is ineffectual. In comparison, I found my V10 very responsive in these conditions, particularly surfing. On big fat waves like at Moolooloabah when its working I found that i could easily trim along the wave and even do humungous big cutbacks on the V10, not so on the Stellar. So far I have only used the Stellar/epic rudder combo in small downwind conditions in Moreton Bay and so far so good. The Stellar is now very responsive whereas before it felt rudderless whenever the back lifteed. Hopefully The surf will pick up next week at the Sunshine coast so I can comment further. Heading up again tomorrow after I watch the Red Army destroy the Bulls at Suncorp tonight.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8604 by outriggerbev
Replied by outriggerbev on topic Re:Stellar V Epic
hey boofhead-I just made a ten inch for the stellar as I was pissed off with my result at the king of the coast and a general lack of responsiveness in bigger waves-just putting coats of epoxy on now-how did you go with your larger rudder-bev

More
12 years 4 months ago #8605 by Boof Head
Bev, I think younwill notice a big difference if you have been using one of the original stellar rudders. I think it has a fair bit to do with the shaft position.
I had my own issues during KOTC. I had finished a repair and placed the epic rudder back on for KOTC but didn'thave time to give a test run. knots slipped and was without right foot control about 1/3 in. Made it but put a damper on what were great conditions. Always next year though.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8606 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Stellar V Epic
Bev have you rerouted the rudder lines? Used the late model surf rudder with the post moved back?

More
12 years 4 months ago #8613 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Stellar V Epic
kG, what do you mean by re-route rudder lines?

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #8615 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Stellar V Epic
A few weeks ago we discussed not using the lower holes in the pedals as the hole is too high and creates to much opposing leverage as it pulls the pedals forward and creates friction on the rudder lines where they enter the hull (when one line needs to pull forward the other needs to pull back) making response sluggish, several ways to over come, either set up like the Epics which is what I initially did but (but this still has some friction) run the rudder line under the pedal pivot bar rather than through the bottom hole in the pedals or tie of the lines at the pedal which is what I now do, both require a light elastic cord to hold the pedal up and create a self centring effect, this works very well to help response a long with the newer rudder.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8620 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Re: Stellar Line Stoppers
Guys I have had many request for what Chris and I use on all our Stellar boats. Go to my review of the SEL on SurfskiRacing.com and you will see how simple this is. Read my comments in the comment section. Hope this helps. This method increase the responsiveness of the rudder by a great margin, and it gives you a more feel for the boat. this is a 20 minute job!!!

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8635 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Stellar Line Stoppers
Cheers. Will make a couple of those

Latest Forum Topics