Molokai 2012

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #11485 by superted
Molokai 2012 was created by superted
You would at least think the organisers would start a thread to promote some interest pre the event. The last few yrs the whole promotion/ spectacle/ available info has been beyond poor.

eg Who's registered so far, forecasted conditions, Oscars back etc

Shame for what was the worlds premier event to now appear to be glossed over and nearly forgotten.

Goodluck to all that are going and hope you get great conditions.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by superted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11487 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Re: Molokai 2012
Stellar is a major sponsor of the race. Designers and usa owners dave thomas and ed hoffmeister will be at the race. 4 or 5 guys are paddling stellar skis, 4 are from australia and one from canada richard germain who i know. Richard will finish near the back and this is his 4th molokai. Matt ogarey a stellar paddler will be racing also. All guys will be in sel or ses. I will be doing post race stories. Next week i will be doing more promo on my site surfskiracing.com. when i get home fm holiday i will be doing my part. I agree for a major race not a whole lot of buzz. Stellar had 2 new dealers in hawaii also. I expect all
These guys to do well since they all have been training like crazy. Say hello to dave and ed for those going over. Dave and ed are stellar and wintech designers who live in massachusetts,usa. Dave also is amherst college rowing coach, smart guys who know how to design boats. Thanks ted for getting this going. Wesley, stellar and surfskiracing.com

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11500 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Molokai 2012
Here's a fairly comprehensive intro to this year's race...

Can Oscar make it a 12th victory?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: kiwial

More
11 years 11 months ago #11504 by kiwial
Replied by kiwial on topic Re: Molokai 2012
That is an AWesomE article, Thanks Rob

More
11 years 11 months ago #11519 by Geofff
Replied by Geofff on topic Re: Molokai 2012
Great article Rob, thanks. At the moment the forecast is for light trades and a 4ft NW swell running against the trades. Anyone paddled the Molokai in similar conditions? I'm starting to get worried!

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #11529 by [email protected]
Local forecast (only goes as far as Saturday so far, but tomorrow, Sunday will come into the frame): Kaiwi Channel Forecast

Norwegian forecast(!): YR.no Kaiwi Channel Forecast

Windguru (Diamond Head - does anyone know which is the most accurate?):
Windguru Diamond Head Forecast

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by [email protected].

More
11 years 11 months ago #11530 by [email protected]
Updates from the race will be broadcast on twitter:
@molosurfski2012
and on the event's facebook page(s):
Facebook event page
and
Facebook race "persona" page

Rob

• patrickswitz
  • Visitor
11 years 11 months ago #11531 by patrickswitz
Replied by patrickswitz on topic Re: Molokai 2012
Windguru is notoriously unreliable for the areas they claim to cover, and they don't even try to call the channel. NOAA's "Hawaiian Coastal Waters" forecast is the only game in town for decent Kaiwi predictions. 5 days out is still sketchy, it often changes quite a bit within the 48 hours prior.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11532 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Molokai 2012
So who is your money on?
Usual big names or maybe an underdog can slip in under the radar?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 11 months ago #11534 by [email protected]
I reckon Clint Robinson is favourite.
But the Big O has been training hard and if it turns into a downwind fest, I wouldn't count him out; he truly is a magician in the waves.
Matt Bouman is brilliant too and he and Bruce Taylor will be up there.
But local knowledge counts hugely in Hawaii, and Oscar and Clint have that in spades.
Matt Bouman hasn't paddled the race before. I think Taylor was there in 2007, but that was an extraordinary (flat) year. Not sure if he's been since.
Pat Dolan? Nah, I'd be surprised, just because he hasn't seen much in the way of international competition.

Rob

More
11 years 11 months ago #11543 by rambo
Replied by rambo on topic Re: Molokai 2012
Pat Dolan may not have had much surfski competition under his belt this year but he came 3rd in the Molokai OC1 Solo a few weeks ago in a time of 3:33 only 1min 30 secs behind the winner. He's also very fit having just come off an Olympic training program for kayak. He's also local and knows the waters.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11547 by [email protected]
The local NOAA forecast is now showing 15kt with 5-6 wind waves in the channel... That's enough to create excellent conditions...

So... my bet is that Deano will be in the mix (he'll confirm tomorrow whether he's taking part).

Michael Booth (Aus) is confirmed paddling. He'll be well up there.

Lucky Aussies to be able to make the decision to take part or not at the last minute. From SA, you have to commit and get there 10 days ahead of time if you want to recover from the 12hour jetlag.

I really hope the race gets fabulous conditions... it's time.

Rob

More
11 years 11 months ago #11552 by Edge540
Replied by Edge540 on topic Re: Molokai 2012
Is Rambo going to be there doing his awesome videos?

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #11553 by rambo
Replied by rambo on topic Re: Molokai 2012
No unfortunately, I did all I could to get there, only x amount of funds in the race organizers buckets. Sorry.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by rambo.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11560 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Molokai 2012
Maybe Rambo should just send a bunch of GoPro's over with the Aussie contingent, edit it all later.

At least the front part of the field would get good coverage.......

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics