Mandurah Duel 2013 - Perth Doctor

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12969 by AR_convert
Okay you midpackers, so you've thought about ticking the now legendary Perth Doctor World Cup race from your bucket list ;)

Well seeing as you've made the big trip here, come a week earlier and see if you've got what it takes to get bragging rights over a local midpacker... me, in the Mandurah Duel :laugh:

Now in it's 3rd year and 2nd year as a World cup event.

Check out this television special on the Mandurah Duel, this is where I get to train weekly!

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by AR_convert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12973 by [email protected]
Gotta get there one day... looks like 2014 for me!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12977 by JeandeFlorette
Replied by JeandeFlorette on topic Re: Mandurah Duel 2013 - Perth Doctor

AR_convert wrote: the Mandurah Duel, this is where I get to train weekly!

You are so lucky... I miss the Indian Ocean, the best ocean in the world! Between the Mandurah Dual, The Doctor and the Mauritius Classic are now being recognized as the best events, the best locations in the world... all of which are on my bucket list of events to do... will get there one day!

How far by road is Mandurah from Perth? Anyone knows about how much it costs to hire skis in WA?

The other interesting thing to do in WA is of course visit the best wine region in Australia, Margaret River!

What a great video! Great work Deano and Yanda! Hope you crack the 400 mark this year at the Doctor... they might need bigger ferries to Rottness Island!

JDF B)
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by JeandeFlorette. Reason: typos

More
11 years 7 months ago #12978 by thebigadski
Yes we are extremely lucky here in the West to have many options for chasing that "Fremantle Doctor"

Over the last few summers the Mandurah Ocean Club has hosted many a paddler on a social(!!!) downwind experience, many on their virgin "Cut Run" and the overwhelming response has been "that was insane"!!!

We see it as The Wests version of a Millers Run!!

Predominately we see consistent SSW summer winds whip up in the early arvo, and the call goes out for a "Cut Run" - 12.4km of downwind bliss!!

Last years Mandurah Duel (ARConverts vid feature) unfortunately didn't provide us with our strong winds, in those conditions the locals almost would have called the social downwinder a no go!!

So we are all praying to Huey to provide a spectacle for 2013!!

Previously I've posted a few "Cut Run" vids in the videos forum and there is a great one of 2 local guys smokin it in a double on there also - worth checking out!!

Thinking about heading over to do the 2013 "Doctor"?? I would highly recommend making your trip slightly longer and add the Mandurah Duel to your West Aus holiday!!

I would also encourage the non-elite amongst us to add the race to their itinerary. Being a relatively short race - around 14 km - and with the range of beginner ocean craft out there it is a very do-able race.

Also as the Think rep in WA I will have rental boats available, even the EZE - which would be a great way to paddle both races if you are new to downwind racing.

Drop me an email if you require info on boat hire for both the Duel or Doctor, or have any further questions regarding The Duel and what our "Cut Run" has to offer!!

Lastly, for those that were here for the Doctor earlier this year and had to, like me, battle the horrible conditions, then looked forward to the Coastal Challenge the following day where the winds whipped up, and thought Sundays conditions were good along the Freo - Sorrento coastline - well a few of us hosted some interstate OC1 paddlers and did a Cut Run on the Sunday after the Challenge and it was SMOKING!!! Big drops, heaps of linking, and one of the best for the season!!!

Be warned, if it's on, it's on down here!!!

Ads
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_convert

More
11 years 7 months ago #12979 by Perth ski chick
One of the best things about the Duel (and the 'cut run') for those like me who are known for botched beach landings, is that the start and the finish are in totally sheltered locations. Impossible to get crunched.

I hear it's not like this in SA, and I'm planning on being there in December - so get your cameras ready for some hilarious pics of me mucking up beach entries . . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_convert

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
11 years 7 months ago #12980 by AR_convert

JeandeFlorette wrote:

AR_convert wrote: How far by road is Mandurah from Perth? Anyone knows about how much it costs to hire skis in WA?

It's only just over an hour from Mandurah to Perth City(it's on the fringes of the metropolitan area) so you can base yourself in the one spot for the week.

Being in January its in the middle of our summer! The average temperature last summer over January was 33.5 C or 92.3 F with minimum nightly average of 20.2 C or 68.5 F B)

Nice warm weather and water, shouldn't be hard to sell to the family for you Northern Hemisphere paddlers ;)

And for those who aren't familiar with the Term "Fremantle Doctor", it is the term used to describe the afternoon seabreeze that comes from the South West almost every afternoon.

As for hiring skis, from the guys I spoke to at the Doctor last year it was easy and relatively cheap.

As well as Adam's Think Skis being available the Oceanpaddler guys bring in truckloads of Fenn Ski's for the races. It's great for our paddling community, lots of great specials on slightly used skis once the races are done.

There seemed to be quite a contingent on Saffas on Epic skis last year, so I'm assuming they land a container of them just before arriving too.

If you wanted to paddle a specific ski I would be contacting the manufacturer early and seeing if they can include it in a shipment headed to Perth for hire when you arrive. There seems to be some goodwill amongst the saffa companies sharing containers ? seeing some of the non sponsors ski's getting to Mauritius.

Here are a sample of cut run videos.

Shows the calm launch point which Perthskichick mentions

and Adams Favourite :laugh:

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics