PE 2 EL Challenge 2012

More
11 years 6 months ago #13041 by antonsa
Well done Gavin. I proudly hand over the race director mantle to you. I have always said that organising the event is harder than paddling it - this year we will both find out if that is still true. I hope that the old bullets from the seventies and eighties pull their skis out of the rafters or bottom of the gardern and come and show the youngsters what endurance paddling is all about.

The event is not about winning but rather a challenge of paddler vs. nature - paddle with respect for the elements and within your ability and you will reach East London still smilling - don't and and you will be a grumpy soul pulling out of the event in Port Alfred.

I have had my best paddling experiences on the PE 2EL Challenge - from being hit by a whale to doing a 67 km downwind on day three with a tail wind of 120 kph! Add to this the beauty of the coastline, great competitors and plenty cold beers at the end and you have the paddle experience of a lifetime.

250 km in four days thousands of memories for the rest of your life!

thanks

Anton Erasmus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paddler4christ
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #13043 by paddler4christ
Replied by paddler4christ on topic Re: PE 2 EL Challenge 2012
I am looking forward to this event, great job on keeping it going and not just doing the usual 30 odd km downwinds

More
11 years 6 months ago #13235 by antonsa
Replied by antonsa on topic Re: PE 2 EL Challenge 2012
The vibe is growing - interest is high, from Port Elizabeth there are likely to be about 25 paddlers. Already guys are pushing up the milage. I trained 140 km last week and will do same this week. October will have some really long paddles built into the programme (40 to 60 km).

What is the interest like in your area? Durban, East London, Cape Town, Plett or Perth?

Talking Perth - Gary Butlion (past winner of the PE2EL) was at our time trial in PE last night - visiting from Aus.

Cheers

Anton

More
11 years 5 months ago #13854 by antonsa
Replied by antonsa on topic Re: PE 2 EL Challenge 2012
First Qualifier for PE2EL Challenge and Cape Point coming up this weekend in PE. Start Kings Beach Beach finish up Sundays River (near service station)- Distance between 40 and 44 km - depending on the wind. We hope to do this on Saturday and Sunday both starting at 06h00. This is essentailly a training paddle - bring your own safety - as if you are doing the Challenge - PFD, Flare, Cellphone, Space Blanket, leash, juice. Call me if you are keen.

Latest Forum Topics