Contraversy with "The Doctor" results

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22739 by AR_convert
Let me be the first to say WOW :woohoo: , what a ride. For a seldom downwind paddler I had a blast today.

Was super pleased for all you committed downwind paddlers and those that travelled from far and wide that The Doctor breeze lived up to the expectations of those who planned this race all those years ago.

Lets hope the change in the time of year sees these conditions more consistently in years to come.

As for the race results, 2.14 covered the top 10 paddlers after 27km, so great tight racing. Looking forward to seeing some video of the top guys on the runs. Well done to Jasper Mocke, must be very pleasing to take the win in such an esteemed field.

Such was the calibre of this years field, local guns were talking about being happy to crack the top 50!

I'm sure once Rob has had a good feed and rested up we're bound to get a great race report with plenty of pics. Check the surfski.info facebook page for Robs Doctor experience so far www.facebook.com/surfski.info?fref=ts

1 186 Jasper MOCKE 01:36:24
2 314 Kenny RICE 01:36:52
3 315 Sean RICE 01:36:59 m
4 226 Clint ROBINSON 01:37:07
5 120 Tim JACOBS 01:37:28
6 28 Michael BOOTH 01:37:45
7 262 Bruce TAYLOR 01:38:05
8 236 Tom SCHILPEROORT 01:38:26
9 200 Sam NORTON 01:38:31
10 255 Murray STEWART 01:38:38
11 272 Greg TOBIN 01:39:42
12 201 Tom NORTON 01:39:46
13 137 Austin KIEFFER 01:40:33
14 91 Dean GARDINER 01:40:33
15 195 Mike MURRAY 01:40:52
16 222 Brendan RICE 01:41:28
17 313 Michael BAKER 01:41:52
18 5 Mark ANDERSON 01:42:05 km
19 133 Martin KENNY 01:42:12
20 235 Brendon SARSON 01:42:37
21 263 Kristopher TAYLOR 01:42:44
22 115 Mackenzie HYNARD 01:43:06
23 103 Joey HALL 01:43:20
24 11 Cade BARNES 01:43:27
25 227 Drake ROBSON 01:43:36
26 13 Dean BEAMENT 01:44:01
27 219 Matt REES 01:44:18
28 14 Jamie BEAVIS 01:44:47 km
29 24 Tim BIRD 01:45:16
30 205 Luke O'GAREY 01:45:21

Full results here oceanpaddler.racetecresults.com/results.aspx?CId=115&RId=47

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by AR_convert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22743 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic "The Doctor" results
Quite a stir has arisen post the Doctor race. Reading a few different social media reports there was a protest raised by a paddler(s) regarding some of the top ten paddlers having PFD's without the right amount of flotation.

Then Dawids Twitter post sparked this conversation.

"Rumour has it some of the top paddlers in today's Doctor Surfski Race were almost DQ'ed for wearing Pfd shells without floatation"

Richard Von Wildemann - The open water swimmers were also in trouble for using the wrong colour Speedo.

Arjan Bloem -Paddling without the Mocke PFD means DQ-ed!!

Ian Timbrell - Yeh so they should we all stick by the rules of the race so should all the legends the kids follow

Ceasar Plaatjies - Must be Aussies

Nigel Jones - All BA's should be dunk tested

Duncan Boyd - Almost dq'd they should have been... Especially after what happened at Pete Marlin

Chris Morgan - Seriously?

Andrew Brouckaert - They should have been DQ'd??

Kobi Simmat - Correct 2 of the top 10 had PDFs with the flotation taken out!! It's time for the elite paddlers of the world to play by the rules, and set an example. It's also the case that other people in the top 10 didn't take a flare....... And a few others no leg leash. So what happens when over 6 of the top 10 had a violation? One of them the current world champ!

Kobi Simmat - Is safety equipment a handicap?
1 hr · Like · 2

Brian Partridge - If they didn't Dsq them. Sorry but race committee is spineless.
1 hr · Like · 1

Oscar Chalupsky - They punished me in the Doctor in my 3 rd straight win how can they not punish them? That is 100% cheating when you know the rules and break them knowingly. I am very disappointed in Dean Gardiner and his committee, we have just lost a paddler, do we have no respect for the loss of Mark Feathers, who has highlighted safety in our sport???
1 hr · like · 8

Brian Partridge - exactly what i was thinking Oscar Chalupsky, however be more disappointed in the athletes who put dean gardiner in that position. if i was your sponsor.. i wouldnt be anymore. if i tampered a mandatory safety device at work , i would be kicked off site and probly banned from entering other work sites... you as a professional athlete, how is this any different??
1 hr · Edited · Like · 3

Mick Rees - Quite disappointed to read this. Most paddling associations have hard a fast rules on this. No PFD no leash...instant DQ. Taking flotation pads out of PFDs...as Oscar says cheating, which makes the paddlers Cheats! Pure and simple...
1 hr · Like · 2

Oscar Chalupsky - Brian Partridge I 100% agree with you but if the policemen catches you and does nothing, you will keep doing it. This is actually happened in last weekend race as well. The same happens in South Africa with crime, just look at Oscar Pistorius.
1 hr · Like · 2

Martin Gunda - Dean Gardner made it very clear anyone who took floatation out of pfd could be DQ'd. I noticed a few guys including one top saffa . This is not cool as safety ls the main thing given the recent death. So much for safety..... the race condition callrd for pfd. Wonder what the maritime authorities would have to say.
59 mins · Like · 2

Brian Partridge - is also western australian law to wear a pfd in open water on a ski.
57 mins · Like · 2

Mick Rees - Most states follow this now Brian. So...law breakers as well. Be interesting to see the scruitineering at the 20 Beaches this year. Hmmm...
55 mins · Like · 2

Brian Partridge - and so it should!
54 mins · Like · 1

Marsh Jones - Safe, Fair, Fun. These should be the watchwords for *any* competition, regardless of sport or venue.
If contestants in a professional event do not follow the rules- especially the safety rules- the event is not safe. If everyone is not subject to the...See More
52 mins · Like · 2

Brian Partridge - with the tragedy of mark feathers last month, and with phil hughes last week, why cant these guys see that the tiniest unforseen thing can turn into such tragedy?
51 mins · Like · 3

Jo Ka - It should be optional.
50 mins · Like

Brian Partridge - Ceasar Plaatjies it wasnt aussies....
49 mins · Like

Brett McDonald - A few of us on the ferry were commenting how thin some of the PFD's were. Pity the rules weren't enforced, the timing would have been good to highlight that as a sport are serious about safety. I'm surprised given that as already stated Dean did make a point of saying that PFD's with flotation taken out would lead to DQ. And at the briefing he made the point there are those in authority out there that don't like us doing this race and how we've got to stick to the rules of the event to ensure we don't give them the excuse not to make the events restrictions more onerous. Well this sort of thing is exactly what needs to be jumped on, or next year we'll be taking two flares and a PLB
41 mins · Edited · Like · 3

Mick Rees - Good call Brett. Many a time before a race I have looked at some competitors and thought where do they get the thin PFDs from? Makes you wonder how many times this occurs and why bother racing in the first place as they have unfair advantage. Pretty pissed off with this...
39 mins · Like · 3

Kobi Simmat - Oscar Chalupsky So what happens when over 6 of the top 10 had a violation? Where does their responsibility sit in setting an example when the majority of people outside the top 10 do the right thing. It's time for elite athletes to be advocates for the sport safety not put the responsibility on a policeman. That's a cop out!
33 mins · Like · 1

Brian Partridge - hahah a pun! good one
33 mins · Like · 1

Oscar Chalupsky - Kobi Simmat I wish this was the case, then no drugs in sport and no wars!!!! but with no policemen there are no rules very simple!!!
24 mins · Like · 1

Jo Ka - In any case, the needed amount of flotation foam is proportional to the paddler's weight. It's not a one-size-fits-all deal.
If someone took some foam out of the pfd, but left enough in there to float his or her body weight--so what?
17 mins · Like

Lara Wozniak - Multiple players have roles in this. As a race organiser you have an obligation to try to maintain safety standards (when Andy, JD and I ran the Steelcase Dragon Run Andy was the guy stuck on the beach at the last minute checking that everyone had Pfds -- and he had a few stern words over the years with paddlers about this. I am sure paddlers slipped through the cracks and went out without a Pfd but you have to try to police it -- and knowing Dean Gardiner -- I'm sure he tried. The lesson is: put more "police dogs" on the beach for this). It is in a sponsor's interest to ensure their racers follow rules (Does any brand really want to be associated with a cheater?). Above all, it is an elite athlete's obligation to follow the rules. These are the athletes that people look up to -- you've put yourself out there in that position. Now you have a moral obligation to live up to that standard. Do so with your head held high, not by trying to cut corners.

3 hrs · Edited · Like · 7

There are loads more comments on Dawids page, it's about time this was exposed and sorted for good I think.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22745 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic "The Doctor" results

AR_convert wrote: If someone took some foam out of the pfd, but left enough in there to float his or her body weight--so what?
17 mins · Like

Then it is not a PFD as these are certified and manufactured to a strict set of standards, and this is what the Maritime Authority would be looking for, not a home made bodge job.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #22751 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic "The Doctor" results
I made the point a while ago when we were discussing race starts that the race directors are often too close to the professional athletes to Police rule infringements.

It's just human nature, if you are mates off the water and share a beer or two around the world it's a tough call to DQ someone you know you will have to deal with at many more future events.

Perhaps Dean and other Race Directors could have a Chief Race Marshall for starts and scrutineering that doesn't mind taking the heat when the big calls have to be made in the interest of fairness and safety?

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22763 by AR_convert
Want a good read, grab a cuppa or maybe even popcorn and follow the over 114 comments on this issue here.

Some well known names in our sport having their say.

www.facebook.com/dawid.mocke/posts/97613...5696687¬if_t=like

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22764 by antonsa
To those who took floatation out of their PFDs - if you "won"some cash - donate it to sea rescue - if you did not win some cash but still broke the rule then donate $50 to sea rescue.

Being a race director is an inrcredibly stressful job - and paddlers breaking the rules add to the angst. The race rules are their for good reasons - if you break them knowingly then you do not deserve to be allowed to participate.

Paddler and Race Director
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by antonsa. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: mancapbol, tony h, Kayaker Greg, TaffyMick

More
9 years 4 months ago #22765 by [email protected]
Some of the top paddlers have been notorious about cutting corners on safety rules. As in this case, some have been seen with pseudo PFDs, without leashes and without flares in races where everyone has been told to use them.

All elite paddlers need to realise that they are the trendsetters for the rest of us, and whether they need the safety gear or not, they have to set the example for people who are less skilled and capable than them.

On a positive note, this controversy has raised such a shit-storm in social media, that it's raised the issue's profile sky-high and this won't happen again.

I've been somewhat disconnected from the Internet for the last 10 days (aside from having a blast here in Aus, but I'll be getting my race reports up in the next week. I face nearly two days of planes and airports getting home!)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: TaffyMick

More
9 years 4 months ago #22766 by TaffyMick
I have stated my thoughts on Dawid's thread (Mick Rees) and will stick by them.

This is WA Maritime's requirements regarding PFDs:
Between 400 metres and two nautical miles from shore in unprotected waters.
PFD Type 1 Must also carry an inshore distress flare kit, in serviceable condition.
Between two and five nautical miles.
PFD Type Must also carry an inshore distress flare kit and an EPIRB.

This being the case I would say Dean got a waiver to run The Doctor by assuring WA Dept of Transport - Maritime that the correct type of PFD will be worn by All Paddlers and leashes will attach the paddler to their craft. Also, that there were enough safety craft to assist paddlers in need.

So, taking the unfair advantage of removing the flotation pads out of the PFD, we also have a regulatory safety breach.

By not having and using the correct gear also puts the event at risk. Do you want to carry rescue flares and an EPIRB at the next Doctor?

Lets look at the big picture. Sort it out now and move forward.

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22767 by AR_convert
Dawid has asked that the conversation on his Facebook page be moved so here it is for further discussion.

Brian Partridge is also western australian law to wear a pfd in open water on a ski.

Mick Rees Most states follow this now Brian. So...law breakers as well. Be interesting to see the scruitineering at the 20 Beaches this year. Hmmm...

Brian Partridge and so it should!

Marsh Jones Safe, Fair, Fun. These should be the watchwords for *any* competition, regardless of sport or venue.
If contestants in a professional event do not follow the rules- especially the safety rules- the event is not safe. If everyone is not subject to the same rules, or the promoters or officials allow 'certain' competitors to willfully ignore the rules, it isn't fair. And especially if there is prize money on the line. In most sports, this constitutes a fixed or rigged outcome, which is CHEATING, and is definitely not fair or fun.
This is not _just_ a safety issue. In a perfectly flat, closely controlled venue, not having flotation, leashes, or whatever may provide an advantage to competitors not granted to others. The credibility of the sport is at stake, just as much as if the top competitors were juicing on PEDs.
Safe, Fair, Fun. Make it right.

Brian Partridge with the tragedy of mark feathers last month, and with phil hughes last week, why cant these guys see that the tiniest unforseen thing can turn into such tragedy?Yesterday at 08:04 · Like · 3

Jo Ka It should be optional.Yesterday at 08:05 · Like · 1

Brian Partridge Ceasar Plaatjies it wasnt aussies....Yesterday at 08:07 · Like · 1

Brett McDonald A few of us on the ferry were commenting how thin some of the PFD's were. Pity the rules weren't enforced, the timing would have been good to highlight that as a sport are serious about safety. I'm surprised given that as already stated Dean did make a point of saying that PFD's with flotation taken out would lead to DQ. And at the briefing he made the point there are those in authority out there that don't like us doing this race and how we've got to stick to the rules of the event to ensure we don't give them the excuse not to make the events restrictions more onerous. Well this sort of thing is exactly what needs to be jumped on, or next year we'll be taking two flares and a PLB.23 hrs · Edited · Like · 4

Mick Rees Good call Brett. Many a time before a race I have looked at some competitors and thought where do they get the thin PFDs from? Makes you wonder how many times this occurs and why bother racing in the first place as they have unfair advantage. Pretty pissed off with this...23 hrs · Like · 3

Kobi Simmat Oscar Chalupsky So what happens when over 6 of the top 10 had a violation? Where does their responsibility sit in setting an example when the majority of people outside the top 10 do the right thing. It's time for elite athletes to be advocates for the sport safety not put the responsibility on a policeman. That's a cop out!23 hrs · Like · 4

Brian Partridge hahah a pun! good one23 hrs · Like · 1

Oscar Chalupsky Kobi Simmat I wish this was the case, then no drugs in sport and no wars!!!! but with no policemen there are no rules very simple!!!23 hrs · Like · 6

Jo Ka In any case, the needed amount of flotation foam is proportional to the paddler's weight. It's not a one-size-fits-all deal.
If someone took some foam out of the pfd, but left enough in there to float his or her body weight--so what?23 hrs · Like

Lara Wozniak Multiple players have roles in this. As a race organiser you have an obligation to try to maintain safety standards (when Andy, JD and I ran the Steelcase Dragon Run Andy was the guy stuck on the beach at the last minute checking that everyone had Pfds -- and he had a few stern words over the years with paddlers about this. I am sure paddlers slipped through the cracks and went out without a Pfd but you have to try to police it -- and knowing Dean Gardiner -- I'm sure he tried. The lesson is: put more "police dogs" on the beach for this). It is in a sponsor's interest to ensure their racers follow rules (Does any brand really want to be associated with a cheater?). Above all, it is an elite athlete's obligation to follow the rules. These are the athletes that people look up to -- you've put yourself out there in that position. Now you have a moral obligation to live up to that standard. Do so with your head held high, not by trying to cut corners.23 hrs · Edited · Like · 9

Gary Maughan Just for accuracy, WA laws require that a PFD be "carried" not "worn" in early doctors these were strapped to the boat. It is a race rule that they be worn.22 hrs · Like · 4

Alan Lipp Are inflatable waist pack PFDs legal? I'm assuming the flotation was taken out of the vests so the paddlers could keep cool in the hot climate.22 hrs · Like · 1

Mick Rees Don't think the coolness is the issue. Paddling with a regulation PFD does affect your rotation, particularly over a distance race. Less restriction on your rotation = more power = better leg drive and better catch. Put this all together and you have an unfair advantage.

Inflatable PFDs? Useless as tits on a bull unless you are fully conscious and unrestricted to operate it.22 hrs · Like · 1

Gary Maughan Andy Lipp : rules change in each state in Australia, in WA you need a PFD when 400+ metres off shore while in other states that rule is 100m. In WA SUPs are required to carry inflatable PDFs. Again rules change with the type of craft, there are different rules for kayaks and skis, due to skis being self bailing.
Remember these are race rules that were broken not maritime rules.22 hrs · Like · 4

Mick Rees Also when you inflate it, your race is over. Ever try a remount with an inflated PFD???22 hrs · Like

Gary Maughan Mick Rees, the PDFs we wear are also pretty useless if you are unconscious, as we are allowed to wear type 2, type 1 has the large collar that would/should keep your face up out of the water try paddling in one of those22 hrs · Like · 2

Brian Partridge Jo Ka, a pfd must have a minimum amount of flotation to to pass a rating, if you take some out, you have reduced the effectiveness of it, rendering it illegal. its been done deliberately = cheating.22 hrs · Like · 2

Brian Partridge if you think pfd's should be optional , youre a dickhead.22 hrs · Like · 2

Mick Rees Better than nothing Gary. Show me a paddler that has his or her PFD properly adjusted and tightened...90% of us have them loose fitting because of the restriction in our rotation. Have them tightened and adjusted properly and we would be stuffed after 5km...22 hrs · Like

Gary Maughan Very true Mick, I have some wonderful chafe marks after yesterday's race but I would rather have it on and functional.22 hrs · Like · 1

Brian Partridge well youve just proved it. dickhead, thanks for your input, you obviously supoort cheating and show no safety concerns for yourself, your friends and the greater paddling fraternity.22 hrs · Like

Brian Partridge i could go on, but i dont want to be a boer........ see what i did there?22 hrs · Like · 3

Mick Rees Just looking at a well known paddling champions photograph. The PFD he was wearing looked like a paddling vest... Well that has got me THINKing...22 hrs · Like · 3

Jo Ka Who cheated anyway? More than one, Saffas, top 10...
Are they related by blood?22 hrs · Like · 1

Gary Maughan Bingo22 hrs · Like · 1

Mick Rees Just looking at a well known paddling champion's photograph on finishing a race in 2013. His PFD looks like a standard thin paddling vest... Well this has really got me THINKing 22 hrs · Like

Brian Partridge lets look at the photos... not jassper.... hes good www.facebook.com/oceanpaddler1/photos/pb...2274/?type=1&theater
OceanPaddler
Jasper in the front pack with TIm the far right . A Black boat in front of them , we think it's Sean Rice , the field is spread out on different lines... More to come

22 hrs · Like · 1

Brian Partridge rob mousley... good www.facebook.com/oceanpaddler1/photos/pb...2274/?type=1&theater
22 hrs · Like · 2

Brian Partridge tim jacobs.. vaikobi pfd www.facebook.com/oceanpaddler1/photos/pb...7274/?type=1&theater
22 hrs · Like · 2

Gary Maughan Proved what Brian? I think they should have been disqualified, if you make rules you should enforce them. On the Avon race here in Perth every PFD is dunk tested at registration then tagged if it passes. It would be a pain to have to implement that but may become necessary. The top boys were seen but there were a few mid packers with dodgy PFDs, if you apply the rule to one, be fair and apply it to all22 hrs · Like · 5

Brian Partridge clint robinson fine www.facebook.com/oceanpaddler1/photos/pb...2274/?type=1&theater
22 hrs · Like · 1

Brian Partridge hmmmm...... www.facebook.com/oceanpaddler1/photos/pb...7274/?type=1&theater
22 hrs · Like · 2

Mick Rees Hawesbury Classic is the same Gary 22 hrs · Like · 1

Oscar Chalupsky Just heard from my brother Walter Chalupsky the Dean Gardiner announced the night before and before the race that if you tampered with your PFD you would be DQ'd can't believe the committee doesn't in force the rules. Well done on Jasper Mocke and Clint Robinson for having the correct PFD's22 hrs · Unlike · 12

Brian Partridge gary, Jo Ka proved he is a dickhead.22 hrs · Like · 2

Mick Rees Back in the day when I played Union you trained and played hard. Want to tackle harder, run faster, have more stamina? you bloody trained harder. No shortcuts, no performance enhancing aids... That's why this crap pisses me off!21 hrs · Like · 1

Simon Haywood Can you be part pregnant? WA Maritime rules state - Australian standards - AS4758.1 level 50 & 50S as a minium. Till recently the Mocke jacket did not meet this ( i believe the recent manufactured ones do now) - whilst being freely accepted. Those who broke the law should donate any prize money to charity and withdraw from the race...As a matter of honour.21 hrs · Like · 5

Jo Ka Brian www.wildhorsecomic.com/.../2012/05/michelin-man.jpg
wildhorsecomic.com.21 hrs · Like

Brian Partridge dude.... im not sure what your problem is, if the rules state to wear a pfd, you wear a pfd... shit if they said you have to wear an orange hat, you wear a bloody orange hat!!! if you go against the rules deliberately, youre a cheat!...21 hrs · Like · 5

Mick Rees Probably an Anarchist Brian...

Hmmm Sons of Anarchy, might go watch a few episodes! Lol!21 hrs · Like · 1

Chris Morgan Over to you Dean !!20 hrs · Like

Owen Walton I'll bet there's none of this crap next time!19 hrs · Like · 2

Brian Partridge One can only hope19 hrs · Like · 1

Mick Rees Still...if it's true Owen they should be stripped of their placings and banned from further comps for a set period. They do it in every other sport... What's different with ours???19 hrs · Like · 1

Simon Van Gysen Dean Gardner should DQ the guys. After what happened in SA. If it's to do with temperature it is cheating cause you have an advantage over a guy sweating it out in a proper one. If 6 out of the 10 top cyclist at Tour de France cheat will they been given off? Lance was striped of his places and had to pay fines. I know it's not a matter of drugs, but cheating is any gain given to a competitor.
If there was no advantage to that paddler by taking out the floatation then why would he do it?19 hrs · Like · 12

Owen Walton Fact - cheating is cheating, is cheating, is cheating. Fairly simple!19 hrs · Like · 6

Mick Rees What are your thoughts on this Dawid???18 hrs · Like · 1

Steve Knowles Doing media for a kayak event and another multisport race, I've heard of one guy fallout holding his chest and another get a cramp type problem and just toppling out of his craft. Both were in no medical condition to move let alone say afloat, with their Life jacket saving their life. Could happen to anyone even a ski paddler... hence way I always wear mine.18 hrs · Like · 4

Boyan Zlatarev I think it is the responsibility of top athletes to set the right example and reinforce safety at these events instead of setting a trend that it's "cool and clever" not to wear your safety gear. For me this is like pissing on the grave of the paddler that lost his life in SA just last week. Did we not learn anything? Whoever has done this should apologise to the entire Surfski community and withdraw from the race results.17 hrs · Edited · Like · 9

Mosole Sebastien The problem is not to require everyone to put the lifejacket or not, or even choice best rowers, put it. In the event of physical problem offshore, discomfort, cramping etc...the life jacket is the only material that will be effective against this kind of situation.If you drown as a result of one of these cases cited previously, flare or the leash will not be optimum hardware in this situation! It's my opinion...Iaorana to everyone from Bora-Bora! Mosole.16 hrs · Edited · Like · 2

Jayden Alford-Loots Safety equipment should be checked before the race... Anyone that doesn't Qualify the safety criteria should not be allowed to race! Therefore you cannot dq an athlete After the race because of the organizers did not checking safety equipment before the race!17 hrs · Unlike · 7

Oscar Chalupsky Jayden Who are you trying to defend cheaters?????? They were told you tamper with your PDF you will be DQ'd, I suspect the culprits knew what they were doing as they have been doing it in other races. They are gown men not children that you police before. You actually sign that you will comply with the rules when you enter a race.17 hrs · Like · 11

Owen Walton Jayden Alford-Loots - Absolute crap!17 hrs · Like · 3

Jayden Alford-Loots You all are too easy.... Making a post like this is ridiculous! Everyone has their own opinion, so if you have your say, don't disregard others opinions!Once there is one certified safety pfd that everyone has to use there will not be any issues!! also half the races say you have to have flares( bet you half the paddling field in the race doesn't use them!) does that make them cheaters??16 hrs · Like · 4

Boyan Zlatarev Jayden your opinion is one of incompetence and it must be disregarded. Cheating is one thing but here the biggest problem is setting the wrong example and potentially getting someone killed because they think it is cool to carry a marker pen instead of a flare and a Colored vest instead of a PFD.16 hrs · Like · 4

Andy Button Seems like cheating has become a feature in surfski races... A scandal every weekend!16 hrs · Like · 1

Garth Spencer From a race organizer's perspective, this brings out an unfortunate side of the sport, putting Dean and team in an incredibly difficult position. We are all distracted in all this hype from the wonderful job Dean Gardiner is doing getting 300 paddlers over to Rottnest on a ferry, getting hem all back safely, and the wonderful publicity this is garnering for our sport. From a paddler's perspective, how unnecessary this unwanted publicity must be after many many months of training for truly world-class athletes. Again we are distracted from those incredible athletic accomplishments: Seriously, 3:34min/km is flying, not paddling:-). I look forward to a time when the paddling world simply accepts PFD's, as inevitably we all will one day, and we can move on to focus on the really interesting safety aspects of our amazing sport. Really, PFD's are just the most BASIC of safety gear for water-sportsman/woman. There are I believe many more aspects of safety in our sport we should be focusing on and enjoying, instead of this simple issue. Congrats to organizing team, and congrats to all competitors! Let's take our lessons here and move forward paddlers:-)16 hrs · Like · 9

Ludovic Bacquet Rules are rules… and should be followed when racing. However, and in regards to actual 50N PFDs to be worn during surfski races should be reviewed.
A 50N PFD provides 5 liters of buoyancy.
5 liters of floatation will not affect all 85kg paddlers the same.
5 liters of floatation will not affect an 85kg paddler the same as a 55kg paddler.
Thus, while reviewing those "rules" - let's be fair.
I look forward to wearing a vest that will affect me as little as it affects "you" - instead of the balloon-like thing I am forced to wear.
Perhaps we should rethink this "stupid" 50N rule to begin with - before enforcing it… THEN, I am all for enforcing it. Just a thought, on this beautiful Sat morning !15 hrs · Edited · Like

Oscar Chalupsky Garth Spencer You haven't heard about our loss in South Africa then???? you saying it is fine for the top guys to take out foam out of their PFD's? In South Africa we have races for 1200-2000 paddlers if you don't wear you club colours you are DQ'd. We can't hide behind " it was good race" we can condone it. Dean Gardiner and the organises did a good job but I have subsequently heard that the organises backed down because the party sponsors where going to take legal action. This can't be confirmed but I thought Dean had more backbone then that, just like he treated me on my infringement a few years ago!!!15 hrs · Like · 3

Mick Rees Sorry Garth. Will give my congratulations to those competitors that done the right thing and followed the rules. To those who didn't... No Way!15 hrs · Like · 1

Tony Hackland Jayden, you are entitled to your opinion but this is not an issue of opinions - clear issue here is these guys purposely broke the PFD rules to gain an unfair advantage over their competition. Not acceptable! Further, given many of top paddlers earn their living from paddling makes this a professional integrity issue - top 5 prize money worth close to R100,000.15 hrs · Like · 5

Mick Rees Beats me why we are arguing the toss over this. As Ludovic says above "rules are rules" wtf is everyone's problem with this???

I've had it. I only paddle 5-6 races a year, mainly inshore harbours and bays. Usually finish back in the pack due to age, weight and overall fitness (nearer 60 than 50). But I was brought up in an era of having a go and giving it your best shot while abiding by the rules of the game. Cannot stand apologists for rule breakers and cheats. Will watch developments with interest.

Oscar, I think you and I are too "Old School" mate...15 hrs · Like · 5

Tony Velasco 6 out of the top 10 with violations. Seems enforcement needs to be consistent, but there must be an atmosphere that cutting corners is ok for 6 out of 10 to have violations. Crazy.15 hrs · Like · 1

Matthew Bouman Why don't you all let each other make your own choices in life and live with your own consequences.

This idea of deciding how others must behave is a strange one.14 hrs · Like · 12

Brian Partridge Well yes we could do that Matthew Bouman, Darwin theory.... But the problem is, the organising committee is liable if they organise something without correct safety procedures Styx, that must be inline with government regulations and legislations. The wa state government says you must have a pfd with you. The race committee says you must wear it at all times. Your choice is yours. If you want to compete in a race, you choose to abide by race rules, or choose to not compete.13 hrs · Unlike · 9

Mick Rees And if you don't want to abide by them, p.ss off or expect the consequences of being labelled a cheat if caught out.13 hrs · Like · 1

Brian Partridge Perhaps the accused could explain why they think it's ok to remove the floatation in their pfd and put the organising committee at risk??13 hrs · Like · 2

Mick Rees As you know Brian, in Australia we have a saying "Name and Shame"... it will happen sooner or later methinks. Finger pointing already occurring behind the scenes... Someone mentioned previously what the honourable thing to do is... not going to hold my breath on that one!13 hrs · Like · 1

Brett McDonald I think the only way you could police this is to have dunking scrutineering like we see at the Avon descent abs then have the vest tagged. It would be too easy for an international. Paddler to claim that's the pfd I was lent when I arrived, I didn't tamper with it.13 hrs · Like · 2

Mick Rees Yep... and have it security tagged and checked when wearing it before you hit the water.13 hrs · Like

Matthew Bouman Brian Partridge, this philosophy I have presented is actually not in line with anything Darwinian. It is far closer to being consistent with an aware mind or perhaps Buddhist philosophy.
So I assume that this WA legislation was made known to all competitors as well as all the other legislation which I'm sure was vital to their survival?13 hrs · Like · 3

Lara Wozniak Matthew Bouman -- You are correct. The choice here was evidently to break race rules. The consequence should be to be DQ'd. The idea of deciding how others must behave may be strange but the hope is that those who put themselves out there as the best of something (anything quite frankly) live up to a standard that we all aspire to achieve. It's an age-old issue: weekend warriors and fans want their champions to be champions in every sense of the word. It may be strange but it's human nature. (Of course, it's also human nature for most champions to…at the end of the day be human…) That said, the spirit of what you're saying is a point well taken: perhaps we shouldn't be judging in this string of commentary. But with a spate of accidents and deaths there are raw emotions, and by discussing it here there is a request from the paddling community at large to set rules and see them be followed.13 hrs · Edited · Like · 4

Brett McDonald At the briefing Dean went to great lengths to explain we had secured some waivers despite many in authority not liking what we were doing. He implored the competitors to abide by the race rules to avoid any unwanted attention from these authorities, lest we be forced to carry the legislated 2 flares and a PLB in the future. He also specifically mentioned pfds having foam removed leading to dq.13 hrs · Like · 4

Brian Partridge I respect your Buddhist philosophy Matt, the point we are trying to make is that a rule was broken. It's not really anything to do with the actual rule itself , whether it's right or wrong. The rules were explained to competitors before the race and even pointed out that competitors shall not tamper with pfd's... I think it's pretty simple. What if another rule was broken?? It's not the rule we are arguing, it's the fact one was broken and broken deliberately.13 hrs · Like · 2

Brian Partridge I think Lara said it best.... If a race is organized, we expect the best guys in the world, the ones we all aspire to be, they are the ones we expect to compete within the rules. I guess we are all feeling a little let down and dissapointed by the actions of these few.13 hrs · Unlike · 4

Richard Von Wildemann It seems everyone has been caught up in their own personal agendas and vendettas which really is a shame. There are too many role players with ulterior motives to have any worth while discussion here. As for racing and rivalry, I hope the boys can keep the rage on the water and be mates off of it.13 hrs · Like · 3

Matthew Bouman I agree with you. However perspective is required to understand the present case in discussion.
PFD's were introduced as a answer to safety questions for those that required them, many years ago. At that stage, it was requested of the elite competitors to set an example by wearing something too? It was even explicitly accepted that these elite paddlers did not need to wear functional PFD's, merely something to help the appearance of conformity to a safe philosophy.
Over time this expectation seems to be changing and encouraged primarily by people who stand to gain from the uniform use of these safety devices.
The issue of safety is dynamic and different for every individual, the blanket safety approach of throwing a PFD on is rather simplified and debatable.

This debate aside, the precedent in all the races before this, has been for race organizers to insist on stringent use of PFD's but never to enforce it. The vast majority of elite paddlers have simply continued as they always have.

Now suddenly they are being chastised for it and their integrity challenged as if they are making a conscious choice to "cheat". If this wasn't so harshly critical, I would find it amusing.12 hrs · Like · 5

Lara Wozniak You have the history right. But wink, wink, nod, nod isn't on. (And all sports evolve this way). And if Dean was clear in the race briefing (which it sounds like he was) then it's not on. But maybe this is also an opportunity: An opportunity for someone to further improve on designs to create a lighter weight, hot-weather safe PFD….12 hrs · Edited · Like · 2

Brian Partridge Matt, your philosophy is great, and I understand your point. But as races now include sponsorship, prize money etc, these races also include govt sponsorship and approval. To get these approvals, you need to show that you can implement a safety system that gains govt approval. One of those is to show that you are in line with local govt regs... Ie the wearing of pfd. Now whether you agree or not, is not yhe point of this discussion. It's the breaking of a rule, not the validity of a rule.12 hrs · Like · 2

Robin Kaye Reading between the lines of this it seems there are some 'agendas' here that are nothing to do with considering how the sport develops across a number of dimensions..with safety I am sure being one of them. This is simple, if the governing body or race director (especially them since they are in the hot seat when things don't go right) requires a measure then that measure must be adhered to in the spirit in which it is intended. Be it a PFD, a leash, a PLB, a phone or whatever else. The clue is in the F word here and that is 'Floatation'. I have no interest in the the debate around this race in itself. It is simply a learning opportunity from which to decide how we wish to race in the future. If it is with PFD or without that is fine with me. However if it is with PFD then it must be a certified one that had not been tampered with. If it is with flare then it must be date...all simple stuff with no hight emotion required....12 hrs · Unlike · 7

Brian Partridge Matt, no perspective needed here at all. Mandatory wearing of pfd. It's clear and simple.12 hrs · Like · 2

Lara Wozniak Agreed Robin -- (and yes Richard there are clearly agendas here but there always are and they are amusingly blatant.) But the basics of this are rather simple and straight forward.12 hrs · Like · 3

Matthew Bouman Brian, they were wearing a PFD.12 hrs · Like · 1

.Daniel Schilperoort blogs.mydevstaging.com/.../files/2014/04/jLZz4Na.gif
blogs.mydevstaging.com.12 hrs · Like · 5

Brian Partridge So if I strapped an outboard to my ski and called it a paddle......12 hrs · Like · 2

Brian Partridge I didn't go around the course marker... I went close to it, I cut the corner a bit.. but close enough....... You picking up what I'm putting down?12 hrs · Like

Jo Ka They don't require PFDs in the Olympic Games, do they?11 hrs · Like

Matthew Bouman Exactly! Not so simple is it?11 hrs · Like

Brett McDonald Haha Brian, cracking me up ;)11 hrs · Like · 1

Brian Partridge Olympics in protected waters. Doctor race isn't.11 hrs · Like · 1

Brian Partridge They don't have to wear pfd in high jump either.... So what's you're point??11 hrs · Like · 1

Mick Rees He's a character Brett!11 hrs · Like

Aaron Trousselot PLB??11 hrs · Like

Brett McDonald It's NOT about the use of PFD's, it's about the breaking of rules all race goers agree to upon entry. Brian correctly makes the point, which rules should I choose to abide by and which can I try to get away with? As has been hinted at earlier, we'd probably find many of the "elites" without flares or leg leashes too, again, it's about a requirement/rule to have them, where do the optionals stop if we follow your logic Matt?11 hrs · Edited · Like · 3

Brian Partridge Finally......... Someone gets it.11 hrs · Like · 1

Oscar Chalupsky Richard Von Wildemann yes very hidden agenda!!! Did the guy blatantly cheat???? and get away with it??? One questions did he take the foam out of his PFD or not???? This is after 2 announcement that you will be disqualified if you did!!!11 hrs · Like · 2

Matthew Bouman Oscar..... Get behind the line11 hrs · Like

Matthew Bouman My point is summed up as this: There has been a precedent set. Don't expect competitors to magically predict that this is to change. It needs to be communicated in a credible, fair and clear manner. This forum certainly does not constitute that in any way.11 hrs · Like · 5

Brian Partridge Rules for the race were clearly stated. And spelled out during race briefing.10 hrs · Like

Brian Partridge Rules for the race were clearly stated. And spelled out during race briefing.10 hrs · Like

Matthew Bouman You are not a great listener, Brian. With all due respect, I no longer wish to participate in this dialogue but agree to disagree with you. Go well.10 hrs · Like

Lara Wozniak Matt -- really??? (A) See Brian's point. (B) If you don't think that a race organiser clearly stating the rules isn't good enough, then don't shut down a public discussion on it as not credible - discussions (in person, via social media, via letters to organisers, via letters to manufacturers/sponsors) is precisely how a credible, fair and clear manner of communication is spawned. Given this lengthy FB interaction if during the next race an organiser says PDFs are required, do you think the organiser should walk up to the likely top 10 racers and say, "I really meant what I just said, and I'm now communicating it in a fair, clear and hopefully credible manner." (Of course you don't.) Your defence that this has been the norm for sometime is noted, the point is -- people are simply asking that rules be followed. Otherwise it's unfair.10 hrs · Unlike · 6

Brian Partridge Ok Matt thanks for your input.10 hrs · Like · 1

Walter Chalupsky I was personally told by Dean before the last doctor race on a training paddle that the pfd I was wearing was not to the correct standard, it was untampered and off the shelf from Tripper, he said i would be Dq`d if i used it so i we10 hrs · Like · 2

Walter Chalupsky sorry hit the wrong button! I then went out and bought one of his. However at the race many paddlers were wearing the same pfd that I had to discard!10 hrs · Like · 1

Dawid Mocke Hi all, please could we move this discussion to a forum and platform that supports it. I will ask Rob Mousley to open a discussion on surfski.info
Thank you10 hrs · Like · 2

Jo Ka Yes, I don't blame you Mocke. I had it too with the PFD nazis. You must admit though, you threw the first stone...9 hrs · Edited · Like

Dawid Mocke My intention was never to point fingers at individuals or get personal, my concern is for the future of paddling and paddlers safety. There is no need to name and shame; the issue has now been raised, let's rather leave this one in the hands of the race organisers going forward.4 hrs · Like · 12

Steve Viney Rules are set for safety reasons so people like dean Gardner can put on such great events2 hrs · Like · 2

Clint Robinson It needs more done than that Dawid!1 hr · Like · 1

Brian Dubb lots of blah blah blah about rules, professionalism of sport, products and $s……

clawing this back to the more critical issue of paddler safety….Matthew Bouman sums it up best…"The issue of safety is dynamic and different for every individual, the blanket safety approach of throwing a PFD on is rather simplified and debatable."……

Is a pdf of any description going to help a paddler whose not fit enough and who hasn't done the time (years) in the surf to have the surf sense and experience? What about fitness tests for ability to swim and to handle endurance before new paddlers are allowed to compete? Let's see paddlers get a ski in and out of a big surf - think Burleigh Heads (AUS) or Woody Cape (SA).

It still feels too early to publicly dissect the recent fatality in East London (SA) but the comparison to the emergency the week before in a paddle from Summerstrand to Sardinia Bay (also SA) could be interesting.

The best safety rule I ever heard for paddlers is "never paddle further out than you can swim in un-assisted". Extrapolate that out to conditions on the day, forecasted conditions, surf-sense, fitness, etc.1 hr · Edited · Like

Brian Partridge brian dubb thats all fine, its up to the paddler. except in a competition. if the competition rules say wear a proper pfd, you wear a proper pfd. end of story. dawid's campaign is to get paddlers to wear a pfd when you DONT have to. this is a case of did have to. i f you dont want to wear a pfd, dont compete. im done.47 mins · Like · 1

Mick Rees For crying our loud... It is WA law to wear a graded PFD. The Doctor is run within Western Australia's maritime jurisdiction!

Same as you Brian. I am done. Appears to me that the apologists and Likers are probably the ones that flaunt the rules and regulations. Over it...45 mins · Edited · Like

Brian Dubb this discussion is about so much more than petty rules of pro racing that are debatable in achieving the safety they pursue.

You have a sport that was done almost exclusively by highly trained and fit surfers and lifesavers since John Woods took on Jo...See More36 mins · Like

Janwillem Den Hartog Make all floating device's organised by the organisation of an competition/Race!. So that the organisation can deside what colour, witch amount of floatation. What kind of branding they want. So nobody can cheat or change it. Save's all paddlers al ...See More33 mins · Like · 1

The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler

More
9 years 4 months ago #22781 by topswimmer
Forget all the race organiser/sponsor crap.
Ask yourself this.
Would you send your children out without a PFD? Think this should answer any questions.
Also remember if you are foolish enough to paddle without appropriate safety equipment you are also being extremely selfish as you won't be the one who has to explain it to your children when Dad/Mum isn't coming home!
The following user(s) said Thank You: YBA/Jim Murray, zachhandler

More
9 years 4 months ago #22798 by zachhandler
I read all the comments listed above. Of all the defenses put forth in support of permitting elites to rip the flotation out of their PFDs, the only one that has any merit is Matt Boumans assertion that historically the elites have always been allowed to do this. If that is the cases than I think the behavior of a few paddlers on that day is more understandable. Obviously that era has ended. The practice, once known about, is just too damaging to the sport as a whole and to the reputations of the individual paddlers caught in the act.

I do feel compelled to put in a few words in defense of Dawid Mocke. The idea that he has supported the crackdown on gutted PFDs in order to sell more product is ridiculous if you think about it for more than half a second. Where do you think those elite paddlers get the mocke PFD to gut in the first place? Dawid makes the same money on a PFD whether or not someone choses destroy it.

As far as I can tell Dawid has done more than anyone else in this sport to promote safety. It seems to come from a pretty genuine place. I don't think he even mentions his own brand of gear in his articles, videos, and lectures on safety.

I think his reason for bringing this issue to light is to promote fair competition and safety.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: mancapbol, Ric

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22799 by Dicko
Elite paddlers don't seem to understand that they are not immune from the unforeseen. 12 k's from land would be a bad place to tear a muscle, or cramp or have a rare swim and should've practiced remounting more regularly, or find that your super light carbon boat really isn't as strong as you thought, or something take a bite out of the 1mm thick carbon, or damn I'm sure I put that bung in, or a rudder drop out or discover that you have a family history of heart disease or that all that overtraining has caused atrial fibrillation and now is a bad time to get the first episode. The fat guy at the back of the pack has the same chance of the unforeseen happening as the elite at the front of the bunch.

But the bottom line is not wearing a PFD makes you faster, probably minutes faster which is the difference between 1st and 10th in that race.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Dicko. Reason: stupidity
The following user(s) said Thank You: mancapbol

More
9 years 4 months ago #22801 by antonsa
Of all the defenses put forth in support of permitting elites to rip the flotation out of their PFDs, the only one that has any merit is Matt Boumans assertion that historically the elites have always been allowed to do this."

I have been part of this sport longer than Matt has been alive and the only exemptions i can recall being allowed since PFD's were made compulsory in South Africa. There was a ruling that A grade paddlers were exempt from having to use PFD's in certain river and ski races but that was at least 15 years ago and is clearly no longer the case. The rules set in SA are defined by the sport federation who has negotiated these with the various government authorities. Race Directors can make the rules more stringent but cannot unilatarilly deviate from them.

No doubt many of the elite and other paddlers have got away with either not wearing PFD's or by trimming them. This must simply stop. It is not up for negotiation - if you do not like the rule then do not do the sport.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mancapbol, TaffyMick

More
9 years 4 months ago #22803 by PJ1
It seems to me the issue is a result of a PFD standard not being clear. Not all PFD's are created equal. If I can purchase one that contains minimal foam, that I never modified before the race, would I be disqualified? How much foam must it have? I have not read the fine print, but usually just "PFD" is specified for a race, not "certified PFD". The elites are always going to try push the limits as much as they can - nobody takes a wide line around a mark to make sure they don't cut the corner, so the "mark" needs to be clear.

For me something like - "If we tie a 5kg weight to your PFD it has to be able to float would make sense", and we could disqualify people on that basis, rather than just on the term PFD.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22805 by jocuba
Geez - how do you manage to get so many elephants in one room? :whistle:

A lot will be understood, no doubt, when the race organisers explain their stance on the matter... *awkward silence - everyone looking down* :blush:
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by jocuba. Reason: spelling

• MCImes
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22807 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Contraversy with "The Doctor" results

PJ1 wrote: For me something like - "If we tie a 5kg weight to your PFD it has to be able to float would make sense", and we could disqualify people on that basis, rather than just on the term PFD.

In the USA, the races that require a PFD generally state 'a USCG approved type III personal flotation device must be worn during the race'.

The USCG (US coast guard) certifies that type III vests have at least 14.5ish pounds (or~ 6.5kg) of flotation. If the vest does not float 14 lbs, its not a type III approved vest and thus does not meet the race requirements, so in that regard it could be very straight forward.

Ill wear a PFD whenever I feel it necessary whether or not the pros do it, but the rules should be written that way so everyone is equal. An advantage shouldnt be gained by 'bending' the rules.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by MCImes.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #22816 by AR_convert
While I believe the initial protest concerned PFD's, I note amongst the comments that other top 10 paddlers are alleged to not have leg leashes or flares.

I wouldn't like this practise to go without scrutiny either.

Let's all hope those concerned have taken heed of the backlash caused and wont chance their hand again at picking and choosing what safety rules should apply to them.

From a sponsors point of view (individual/boat manufacturers) I would be having a quiet word to your paddlers about these issues unless come the next major race you get the finger pointed at you and as we've seen, regardless of how well your paddler did, the press can become about any contraversy.

I would rather be writing and reading about who paddled what model of ski, how light they were, what lines were taken etc ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: owenw

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22818 by AR_convert
Great to see the 20 beaches ocean classic are taking PFD safety seriously

www.facebook.com/video.php?v=320487224813159nf

More
9 years 4 months ago #22855 by Midlifecrisis
If you are coming to the 20 beaches make sure you are aware of the safety requirements. You will need to have all of the prescribed safety equipment to race (see attached).
Attachments:

More
9 years 4 months ago #22856 by MMG83
For those who hide behind the “we’ve always done it this way” shame on you.

Man up. Tell us yeah you cut corners for an advantage and knowingly broke the rules. If you want to add that you did this because in the past it’s been overlooked then fine but don’t make excuses and refuse to enter the conversation or run away and hide.

If you have a problem with other paddlers doing something you don’t join them, you bring it up with the race director, race organizers, your team members, other paddlers but you certainly don’t follow suit.

Things change in life and sport. The sport is hurt when safety isn’t taken seriously and the rules are knowingly not followed.

As an elite paddler you should be setting examples.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

Latest Forum Topics