12th annual Heal The Beach downwind race.

More
4 years 7 months ago #35010 by Fath2o
 Race will be held Saturday 9/28/19 and usually starts around 1300. 7 mile race from Mondos to to Ventura pier. All paddle craft welcome! Nice fundraiser for local high school aquatics programs.
Last year TVE took first overall and in surfski division. MCimes was a close second. I was way behind. I'll just say I was a bit out of my element with little wind or waves. Probably wouldn't have made much difference? Hopefully better conditions this year. My participation will be providing safety boat.
There are two different dates on website/registration page? I was texted the 28th.
I am unable to retrieve messages or phone numbers on so called SMART phone.

paddleguru.com/races/HealTheBeach12thAnnualDownwindRace2019

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 7 months ago #35013 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic 12th annual Heal The Beach downwind race.
This was a fun race last year. I think I'll attend again, but will be extremely jet lagged and coming off 3 weeks without paddling so not going to set any speed records. Hopefully we get a nice northwest breeze this year. Last year was glassy flat!

I'll tell the OC guys at moms beach too. i'd be fun to race against a few OC's

More
4 years 7 months ago #35015 by tve
I was put off last year by the fact that they paid exactly zero attention to the surfskis. I came in first overall and at the "prize ceremony" they didn't event mention the surfskis nor did they have a "prize" for me. Really felt like "hey you, WTF are you doing here?"

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 6 months ago #35157 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic 12th annual Heal The Beach downwind race.
Kick ass forecast tomorrow.  A true downwind if the forecast holds

From NOAA
SatWestern portion, NW wind 10 to 15 kt becoming 15 to 25 kt in the late afternoon. Otherwise, winds variable 10 kt or less becoming 10 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 2 to 4 ft dominant period 11 seconds, building to 4 to 6 ft dominant period 11 seconds in the afternoon.

Plus a small craft advisory. Beach start might make it interesting though, depending on how early the swell builds.  

Kirk, if you have room i might hitch a ride to the start on your boat.  Text you when im back in the states

Latest Forum Topics