Molokai World Cup Surfski Festival

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #2302 by Billy
May 7-9 (Wed-Fri)
Paddlers arriving; Collecting and familiarising with skis;

10th Sat
10am Race 1 - Makai Pier to Waikiki (31km)
5pm Welcome function and Race 1 preso at Dukes

11th Sun
11am Downwind Clinic - a 1hr land-based downwind clinic hosted by 2-3 of the world's best downwind paddlers. Lots of questions and discussion especially in context of the Race 1 yesterday.
3pm Technique Clinic - a 1hr question and answer session hosted by 2-3 of those that know the forward kayak stroke best

12th Mon
10am Race 2 - Makai Pier to Hawaii Kai (15km). A great opportunity to apply what you learnt at yesterday's Downwind Clinic.
5pm "Fenn Hotspot" at Lulu's. A social evening hosted by the Fenn Reps where current and prospective Fenn owners get to hear about up coming releases, etc as well as meet the sponsored paddlers. I'm sure other manufacturers will do something similar.

13th Tue
10am Load skis on the container for Molokai

14th Wed
7pm World Championship Function - Race rego; collect shirts, numbers, etc; video's of past Molokai's; weather briefing; 'Surfski Around The World' - a Dubai-style panel discussion where one of the top paddlers as well as a first-timer from each country represented take turns being interviewed by host. What a great way to learn about what's happening with ocean racing around the world!

15th Thu
Paddlers start arriving on Molokai

16th Fri
10am 4 x 1km Elimination Relay - A fun relay using a 1km course set up across the Kaluakoi beachfront. Teams of 4 are created by a random draw to keep things social. Everyone races twice.

17th Sat
4pm final pre-race briefing followed by a pasta dinner at Kaluakoi Resort

18th Sun
9am Molokai to Oahu World Championship
6pm Preso and after party at Lulu's.

This is my dream Molokai World Cup Festival Program.

Why?

Until I crack the top 3, enjoying some great racing, meeting new people and learning something new are what Molokai is all about for me. Regardless of whether the wind blows on the big day or not this is 10 days in Hawaii that no surf ski paddler would want to miss.

I don't pretend to know how hard or easy such a program is to organise. I just thought I'd throw some ideas into the pile.
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Billy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics