Hawkesbury Classic

More
12 years 7 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #7668 by Shady
Hawkesbury Classic was created by Shady
Is there anyone here planning on taking part in this years Hawkesbury classic? Or maybe competed in previous years and can offer some any advice?

I've been telling my family, friends and work collegues I'm competing this year in the hope I can talk myself into it. Considering I first jumped onto a plastic sit on top for the first time in 10 years last christmas, My aim is to complete rather than compete in the event. I finally purchased my first paddle last weekend and havent even got a boat yet.

Now for the good news, I been paddling twice a week, every week since January and have combined that with gym work and cycling since around May. I've settled on an Epic V8 which should arrive in 2-4 weeks but have spent 2-3 hours in the saddle of a rented V8 each saturday morning for the last month and will continue until my boat arrives.

One little thing in my favour is living 15 miutes from Windsor I know the first quarter of the river and the last quarter of the river very well. I'm hoping that will help somehow!

So is anyone competeing this year. I understand there are more and more skis every year.

Epic V10 Sport Performance
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Shady.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7681 by Nat Bradford
Shady - there'll be some other newbies there (me included) and I'll be on a V8 also - if you're looking for training partners (and we use the term very loosely!), follow fatpaddler.com or sydneysurfski.com or message through this forum. We'll be training mainly in and around Sydney, but will do a couple of paddles on course in the next few weeks. Look forward to meeting you! Cheers, Nat

More
12 years 7 months ago #7686 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: Hawkesbury Classic 2011
Hi Nat,

Thanks for the response and a great job on your blog

I've been on the fatpaddler website several times and read all about the V8 and other reviews/paddles.

I've been hiring a V8 from Sydney Harbour Kayaks each weekend until mine arrives.

Definately looking for a training partner/s as the person I was training with injured his back 6 weeks ago and was told not to paddle for 6 months and find a new job!

Cheers
Darren

More
12 years 7 months ago #7688 by tomb
Replied by tomb on topic Re: Hawkesbury Classic 2011
Hi Shady

If you live near Windsor then you should contact Windsor Canoe Club, we used to run famils for the classic and most of the members have done a few Classics.

The Club is situated where the Classic begins at Macquarie Park Windsor
windsorcanoeclub.com.au/nsw-sprint-titles

Cheers
Tom.B

More
12 years 7 months ago #7693 by Shady
Hi Tom,

I've been down to one of the 'open days' at windsor canoe club one sunday morning a couple of months ago. They were a welcoming bunch of people and stuck me in one of the clubs TK1's for the morning which was interesting considering I'd hadnt been in anything other than a plastic sit on top in 20 years.

I was considering talking to the guys at LCCR as I work in North Sydney and pass them on the way home every night. It would be quite convienant for me on their wednesday evening paddles.

I heard about the famils an understand that they are not being run this year....officially anyway. I've skiied up to pacific park more times then i care to rember but only paddled to pitt town and back. I definately need to do more on the river prior to the event.

Cheers

More
12 years 7 months ago #7694 by tomb
Hi Shady

Yes both clubs have been well represented in the Classic and a wealth of knowledge about the river can be gained by talking to them.

Unfortunately this is the first year that we have not run the famils for the event but some of the members who are paddling in the Classic this year have done some paddles to familiarise themselves again.

Cheers
Tom.B

More
12 years 7 months ago #7726 by JasonC
Replied by JasonC on topic Re: Hawkesbury Classic 2011
Hi Shady

You should come down to Lane Cove on a Wednesday night. It is great training for the HCC as you are paddling at night which helps with the confidence in dark conditions and also you are paddling at a reasonable pace because you are timed. There are many people who could offer you advice as well. If you get to the athletics field at the corner of Mowbray Rd and Epping Rd around 6pm. This gives you time to register. Cost is $6 for non-members or $3 for members.

Cheers
Jason

More
12 years 7 months ago #7751 by Shady
I'm sure there's plenty of these trackslaying around but I spent some time and plotted out the Classic on GPSies. Not sure if it will work or be useful but here it is.

www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=lvgjoanqchh...v&referrer=trackList

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #7763 by Shady
Does anyone know how I go about determining which category I'm able to enter an Epic V8 in? I've heard/read that being based on the Epic 18x its eligable for entry into the Medium Recreational craft.
Failing that it's the unrestricted class or Surf Ski Class.

www.canoeclassic.asn.au/paddlers/craft-specifications.htm

Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Shady.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7764 by Red
Replied by Red on topic Re: Hawkesbury Classic 2011
Shady, raced the Hawkesbury several times on a ski and outrigger. Never used a GPS on the river but navigation is good if the moon is out. There are a few little tricks out there that will save you some time but, being familiar with the river is a good start. One tip for training is make sure you add the extra weight, properly balanced, to your ski that you will carry during the race. A few litres of water, food, lights etc adds up to quite a few kg and it changes how the ski performs and the speed it can move. Also if you are wearing a PFD with a water bladder, and your food etc your centre of gravity is raised, making you a bit tippy when you are exhausted. At the end of the race, when it can be a 1-2 foot cross chop (was last year) in the dark, being balanced is important. Training with the extra weight will pay off not just on the night but in your regular paddling as well.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7772 by tomb
Hi Shady

It would be best for you to enter Brooklyn or Bust they leave off at 4.00 pm the first group to go off.

Cheers
Tom.B B)

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #7795 by Shady
Hi Tom,

I think I agree with you. The major reason being that the other classes I would consider including the new Ocean Racing Class departs closer to 6pm rather than the 4pm for BoB1.

Thanks for the tip Red. Its something that make quite a lot of sense but not something I would have considered doing.

Cheers

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #7808 by Red

Shady, don't want to discourage you from the Hawkesbury, it is well worth the pain, but this is what happened to my hands last year by Sackville (30km). Can't explain it, years of long distance racing with only minimal blisters, must be getting a bit old. Must say though, the pain in my hands distracted me from my numb left leg that was with me for 2 weeks post race.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Red.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7813 by Shady
Hi Red,

That doesn't look enjoyable.

I've never worn gloves before and havent had many issues...saying that I havent paddled for anything more than 2-3 hours, and I have "office worker" hands. I have heard of the fresh water being the culprit of blistered hands as opposed to all paddling in salt water. I wonder if it poses other issues also.

I havent planned on using gloves although after seeing your photo the thought did cross my mind. I had planned on buying strapping tape to use at the first sign of worn hands.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7815 by tomb
Hi Shady

A lot of people do wear gloves for the classic but discard them after a while because they are not used to them.

Firstly paddle the classic with gear you are familiar with, don't try and use some thing new for the race.

Secondly there is a Physio at the start of the race in one of the tents at Windsor go and see them and have hands strapped if needed, they will also be available at Wisemans Ferry.

The people I know that have done it in fast times go through the pain barrier but those who do the Brooklyn or bust take there time and survive the race better.

Cheers
Tom.B

More
12 years 7 months ago #7816 by Nat Bradford
That sore hand pic is a little disturbing :unsure:

Might be worth giving the Myall Classic a go over 47km next weekend as a way of testing yourself for the distance.

Details: www.justpaddlers.org.au/myall-classic/

I'll be there - happy to add another V8 to the roof if you want a lift!

Cheers, Nat
www.sydneysurfski.com

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #7819 by JOS
Replied by JOS on topic Re: Hawkesbury Classic 2011
Shady - one of the most important things is to plan for weeds. If you're planning on using a weed deflector I strongly recommend you test it - they don't always work. May be a good idea to use a much smaller rudder. I've done Hawkesbury a number of times - twice in a surfski & catching weed can place a real strain on you. V8 is a great ski to do it in - & for first time I'd go with the suggestion to enter in the BorB category.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by JOS.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7822 by Red
I agree with not wearing gloves, they seem to be worse as the little folds in the fabric create ridges that rub. Shady, your point about freshwater is a good one and could well be the case. Don't take my hands as typical (I hope not anyway). If you are not racing it, you can take a little more time during the race to look after yourself a little better.

Weed is an issue. I have used a few different types of rudders from standard surfski to custom stainless. Highly recommend using some sort of cut down rudder. I paddled a double a few years back with a standard rudder, the weed was bad and I ended up swimming every 10km or so to pull the weed off. Cold and unpleasant to say the least.

The custom stainless with a steep leading angle was best, but not perfect. The weed is not the ocean ribbon type but more river or vine like. It seems to stick more, for lack of a better explanation. The best advice I can give you is to avoid the weed in the first place. Most of the time the weed beds will be on the edge of the banks, typically on the racing line around corners. You can see it during the day. Weed or debris floating in the centre of the river, if it has been raining, is harder to negotiate. Fluttering the rudder seems to help a little to dislodge it if you feel some resistance.

And on rudders, have done many time trials with normal and small (sometimes tiny) rudders. The speed difference is significant, (even in ocean, completely new thread though) and when you consider the distance of the Hawkesbury, well worth it for the reduced time on the water alone.

Another way of avoiding weed is to paddle directly behind someone so they clear the river for you (preferably a double, or a pack). Drafting is a whole other issue but well worth practicing, and essential to racing if that is your goal.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #7954 by Shady
After a month of waiting after ordering a brand new V8 and 2 delays in arrival I had a response from my "Wanted Ad" on geartrade, 6 months old V8, with unused leg leash, weed guard and seat pad, used twice for an hour each time (it looks it too), he cant use anymore as it inflames an already bad back. Thank you kindly I'll take it and saved myself $500 in the process.

So I finally have a boat sitting in my garage on 2 fold out chairs and it only just fits in by 20mm each end.

About time too, the Classic is one month from tomorrow.

Anyone up for some last minute training at the Hawkesbury or other?

More
12 years 7 months ago #7956 by AR_convert
Saw a V8 in the flesh for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a race, nice looking boat.

How exciting for you! Enjoy the lead up and the race!

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics