• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
  • ... trying not to mistake a mirror for a window
More
8 years 5 months ago #25031 by Uffilation
@photofr,
yep, that's why I wrote
"Just for the fun of it w/o caring if that makes sense or not lol."
"Yeah I know, there are skis already for flatwater speed, was just thinking out loudly lol."

Anyway, flatter noses reg. sidewind issues w.b. welcome too.

@Zachhandler,
actually I agree, e.g. I am in the process of switching "completely" to surfskis, but I can do that because I don't do narrow WW or tour with seakayaks in the sea.
I'll keep at least one composite touring kayak tho that I want work up again one day >it's a composite made in the early 1960s/end 1950s by a carpenter and was one of the first composite kajaks here, done by sucking a rubber plug/membrane over the layup to expell resin and increase fibre content ... yeah, 50 years ago ... and that thing is a take apart made of two-pieces, where both pieces can be nested like hollow cones.
I just love this old stuff that was years ahead of its time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 5 months ago #25036 by Uffilation
www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/DusiCanoeMa...-sit-on-top-20150206

"Dusi Canoe Marathon

It’s not inside, it's sit-on-top!

2015-02-06 14:50

Pietermaritzburg - Former Olympic sprinter and Marathon world champion Shaun Rubenstein will be setting off on his eighth Dusi Canoe Marathon on Thursday, February 19 pioneering a brand new sit-on-top style canoeing that has just be legalised by Canoeing South Africa.

Rubenstein (Brent Oil/Carbonology Sport) finished third in the 2009 K1 Dusi and is passionate about the opportunity to race the prototype craft that is built much like a surfski, but with an overstern rudder and conforms to the kayak size regulations set by the International Canoe Federation (ICF).

Previously these craft were declared ineligible for marathon racing as they include bailers that allow any water that gathers in the foot wells and seat well to drain out through the hull, and the ICF rules insist that the hull of the craft is unbroken by accessories such as bailers.

Canoeing South Africa however has modified its rules to allow these craft in local events after seeing the advantages from a safety point of view and the opportunity to get more people involved in popular river races such as the Dusi Canoe Marathon."

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #25199 by Uffilation
...so ... free replacement hatch hardcover planned for V7 owners?
see recent paddling.net posting for the V7 ...

what puzzles me though: I've seen on a V7 that two foam bulkheads are glued into the hull with silicone and the silicone was coming off ...
PE = non/low polar plastics which means that stuff hardly sticks to it w/o a flame/corona treatment; so I was a bit surprised to see that actually it was tried "to silicone stuff in" and the silicone got loose already
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Uffilation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #25208 by Korrigan

zachhandler wrote: There is really no purpose for a kayak unless you are doing a multiple day trip and need to carry gear, are running technical whitewater, or are entering a race with ICF rules. Even for flatwater paddlers inland, the surfski is better in every way.

These kind of comments are quite irritating. Most surfskiers are more focused on fitness & performance and kayakers on discovery & musings does not make one better or less good.

Surfski is "better in every way" FOR YOU, less good for me in many ways.

About the safety argument, I agree the remount is much easier and rolling is not 100% reliable, so far for me the only time I felt in danger was on a surfski with a broken rudder 1km+ offshore, it would never have happened on my kayak... I imagine also sometimes what would happen if I hit a log with my surfski, a very fragile hull and no hatches should make it quite sinkable...

I think you feel much better the sea in a kayak and rolling in waves is as exhilarating as surfing, doing multi days trips is fantastic.

More
8 years 3 months ago #25216 by Spacehopper
Korrigan, I'd agree with your sentiment that it comes down to personal preference to some degree. However it's not a binary either-or choice. It's quite possible to put a surfski cockpit it an un-ruddered (or V6 style retracting rudder) hull with hatches and bulkheads and have a great touring boat.

Rolling is a great skill and people will always be interested in learning it (I took lessons despite spending almost no time paddling sit-in boats) but I'd be surprised if anything but 10% of sea-kayakers approach bombproof standard. Arguably for many of my sea kayaking clubmates a ski style cockpit would make their time on the sea a lot more enjoyable - more confidence from being much more able to self rescue.

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #25936 by Uffilation
on k1 like surfskis ... old nelos

keystonekayaks.com/new_kayak_032.htm

btw., to remain on topic, anyone knows what happened to the release date of the Think Nitro ski? There was an enthusiastic fb post mentioning even end of 2015 ...
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by Uffilation.

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #26256 by Uffilation
regarding the question in the previous post on the Think Nitro ...

Is the answer ... Think Nitro > Pyranha Octane ?

There is an article from Aug. 2015 stating this already while THINK then and thereafter reffered to it as the NITRO but now is found as Pyranha Octane (avail. Fall/Nov. 2016) in a few online-shops.

see also comments in
www.facebook.com/thinkkayak/posts/1624146171168962
www.facebook.com/282411421820320/photos/...7967/?type=3&theater
vs.
chrishipgrave.com/2015/08/18/best-new-20...ddlesports-products/
google for "pyranha octane" ...
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Uffilation.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #26257 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Thermoplastic Surfskis, Racing Skis
You would think that either company would have some sort of information on their websites. If some dealers can put specifications and price online why can't the manufacturer? Are they only going to make 10 of them?

I-Canoe in Ireland is already marking them down 130 euros with an availability date of Feburary. :huh:

• rhainan
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #26258 by rhainan
www.facebook.com/ICANOE/photos/a.1015015...5655/?type=3&theater

Here is an April 1 post from I-Canoe. Maybe it is an April Fools joke? That doesn't look like the Octane.

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #26259 by Uffilation
I'd think April fools joke because of the missed feb. date (which they had on their shop page) ... other dates in online shops are now fall/nov 16 ... what puzzled me was the name issue

More
7 years 10 months ago #26272 by Stew
Thanks for the interest in the Nitro guys. Time lines have extended unfortunately, but it's now very close to final sign off and production. And yes, Pyranha will be making them for us.

More
7 years 10 months ago #26273 by Stew
Also, we're pretty flat out at times with work, but if you ever want any Think Kayak information which might not be readily available, please do not hesitate to email any of us and ask. Only too happy to help, but we don't have a lot of spare time to be on forums, so responses can be slow on places like here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uffilation

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #26275 by Uffilation
stew, will do ... production delays are normal btw.
thanks, pyranha info is known, I just stumbled over the name issue if they are making them for you ... what's the name then?
anyway, V7, Nitro/Octane, Raptor = 3 thermoplastic boats for the price of one ultra layup ... imo will give the market a boost, as there are so many flat water / lake / river paddlers waiting for these (but might not now yet themselves as they still think of "sit-in") imo

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #26416 by Uffilation
Nelo 510 PE ? 19kg, +- 1700 Euro ?

Ahem?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Uffilation.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #26417 by rhainan
Is this for real or just wishful thinking? I don't know what a 510 is but assume its shorter and wider than the 520. More roto ski options would be great. We have been having great success with the Epic V5. Most people around here (including myself) do not have much ability to paddle a V10 effectively and the V8 is a lot of money for the more casual paddler. The V5 is lighter than a comparable sea kayak, faster and less expensive.

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #26418 by Uffilation
A Nelo 510 PE is listed in a 2016 surfski pricelist of Nelo in a table together with the 520, 560, 560M ... no specs though

PS: on the Pyranha Octane / Think Nitro ... Pyranha has put fotos on the fb page yd, hmmm, thought I saw these pics on fb in september last year already? whatever, looking forward

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 8 months ago #26419 by photofr
Interesting. Where did you find that information about the Nelo?

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #26420 by Uffilation
in a price list labeled "Nelo Surfskis" of the german Nelo agent ...
www.gusser.net/wettkampf/ocean/

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #26470 by Stew
A few of the Team Think crew had the Nitro out for a burn in Portugal a few weekends ago.

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Stew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uffilation

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #26609 by Uffilation
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Uffilation.

Latest Forum Topics