Boat humps

More
7 years 8 months ago #26426 by supsherpa
Boat humps was created by supsherpa
I apologize if this is a silly question but what is the purpose of the hump? I've been testing quite a few new intermediate boats as of late and seen a fairly large range of hump sizes.

Are they for mid boat bouyancy? Reduce cockpit size for better fit? Reduced volume for water or a fall back to older flatter life saving spec skis?

Thanks,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #26427 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Boat humps
Yes reduced water volume and increased comfort, not all are perfect for everyone because of course everyone is different.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 8 months ago #26428 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Boat humps
Boat humps seem to affect smaller paddlers a lot more than taller ones.

I feel like they were necessary before the ski drainage was improved: some boats drain really slowly, so making sure there isn't too much water USED TO BE key. Nowadays, there are several skis with super fast draining systems, so I am so glad that those humps are getting smaller or disappearing.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
7 years 8 months ago #26430 by supsherpa
Replied by supsherpa on topic Boat humps
Thanks fellas. I currently have a v10sport in performance and was looking to get a lighter boat and decided to have a good look around before shelling out the cash. The Epics have a smaller hump than say the Hukis and older Fenns. All good boats but very different feel.

Having short legs I noticed that leg drive didn't feel right (still getting part of the stroke dialed in) in boats with a taller hump.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 8 months ago #26431 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Boat humps
Here are some of the skis that I have tried that have the smallest humps of any other skis... from the smallest or non-existent hump:
Nelo 560M
Nelo 560
Nelo 520
Epic V10L

Hopefully, you have longer legs than me

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
7 years 8 months ago #26443 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic Boat humps
Try Stellar SEI and SEL (2G) as intermediate options. My wife paddles the SEI - 55kg/5'4" and I paddle the SEL - 90kg/6'0". If you've got good stability, Stellar SES 2G is designed for the lighter/smaller paddler.

Cheers, Matt

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
The following user(s) said Thank You: supsherpa

More
7 years 8 months ago #26444 by supsherpa
Replied by supsherpa on topic Boat humps
The legs are a little short 29-30inch not too bad. Weight is around 78kg. Stability is always a work in progress but not too bad at the moment.

I'm in the SF Bay area and there isn't much to demo in the Stellar way and Nelo hasn't made it out here yet.

I tried the Epic V10L but it's a little too much for me. The V10 was nice. I tried the Huki R and XL (suggested as a possible intermediate boat for my weight). The R was fun but pricey, the XL felt very big, definitely something for a bigger paddler and again pricey.

I tried an EVO II which was nice boat and still need to try the swordfish.

More
7 years 8 months ago #26447 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic Boat humps
Make u try the new Swordfish S - hump is lower - I didn't like the old one but loved the new - hired one for 1 week in Perth for the races & The Doctor - was great!

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
The following user(s) said Thank You: supsherpa

More
7 years 8 months ago #26450 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic Boat humps
agree with the question on the humps - seems like an outdated concept?
had my 'ear chewed off' by a brand dealer when I commented on the forum that I didn't like the bigger hump on their brand :-(
after paddling the K1 more I don't see the point of them
we are amidst interesting times as there are no limitations / regulations limiting ski development, so look forward to seeing newer models coming out challenging older design styles: smaller humps / shorter skis / chines / inverted noses / handles / storage in the hull / leg leash points / more comfortable seats / adjustable foot rests / customisation (like colour options/designs) etc.

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

Latest Forum Topics