Finding info in CT

More
15 years 5 months ago #2551 by MarcS
Finding info in CT was created by MarcS
Hi Folks,

My girlfriend and I (And a buddy of mine.) are very keen to get involded in surfskiing.

We are complete novices and would like to find out more about the sport. (Never even been on a surfski.)

What/where is the best way to go about it? (We do not wish to go through a "school" at this point. We would first like to try it out and take it from there.)

What ski(s) should we consider as novices?

Where in CT are the best places for novices to learn without having to go through too much surf? (Preferably on the Blouberg/Western side.)

Ideally we would like to hire a set of ski's and try it out and then decide if it is the way we wish to go. (This is pretty much for my girlfriend to see if it is for her as I know that I want to get involved.)

Please forward any and all relevant info.

What safety requirements are there? Once experienced enough, I can think of nothing better than going for a morning paddle by myself.

Is this "done" or do you generally paddle with 2 or more?

Many thanks,
Marc S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #2552 by YBA/Jim Murray
Use the school. You are lucky to have it there-all your questions plus ones you have not thought of yet will be answered for a nominal sum. Big water is not really the place for beginners to be alone. Calm water may not be as benign as it appears.
The cost will likely be more than returned by learning what equipment to buy. What price for your friends safety?

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #2553 by MarcS
Replied by MarcS on topic Re:Finding info in CT
Hi YBA,

I hear you. I am not discreditting safety or the School(s) at all.

I have been involved in several other forms of watersports and I believe in safety first at all times.

My girlfriend in particular would simply like to try it out to decide whether or not it is something she would like to persue.

If so, we will more than likely certainly approach a surfski school. She (we) do not want to take that step before she knows it is for her.

Thanks,
Marc
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by MarcS.

More
15 years 5 months ago #2559 by [email protected]
Hey Marc
Give Dawid Mocke a call and tell exactly what you wrote there - that you'd like to give it a go before committing to costs, etc.

He's got demo boats & will give great advice.

But Fish Hoek is a much safer place to try than anywhere on the West Coast.

Come on in - you'll love it!
Cheers, Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 5 months ago #2560 by MarcS
Hi Rob,

Will do, thanks.

Last question: I am sure Dawid will also be able to answer this, but as a novice/beginner, what will all the equipment and gear set a person back roughly?

How quickly does one advance? ie: Should I consider buying a 2nd hand beginner ski and aim to buy a new intermediate ski?

Thanks again for the advice.

Regards,
Marc

More
15 years 5 months ago #2571 by [email protected]
Paddle: R1000
PFD: R550
Paddling shorts: R350
Ski: R4K upwards for a 2nd hand ski. R7K-R8K for a new ski.

Yep, I'd get a second hand beginner's ski to start with, they have great resale value. Paddle that hard for 6 months then go on to an intermediate ski.

Good luck!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 5 months ago #2576 by MarcS
Hi Rob,

Great, thanks.

Last 2 questions:

1. Where can/should one look for secondhand ski's? And what should one consider/look out for?

2. What makes/models should one consider? ie: Is there any make/model that one should specifically try and find or avoid?

Thanks again,
Marc

Latest Forum Topics