Shark off kalk bay

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6636 by malanie
Shark off kalk bay was created by malanie
Me and my friends who were on a double where circled by a great white on the afternoon of monday 21 March.
We had been surfing waves at Muizenberg when the shark siren went off and we went ashore for a while. The shark appeared on our way back about 500 meters off the Brass Bell in Kalk bay. It was quite a surreal experience. I have been paddling for four years now and this was the first time Ive seen one. The paddle back to Glencairn was rather fraught when crossing Fish Hoek Bay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #6639 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Shark off kalk bay
I've been waiting and waiting to see a shark on my paddles, I figured it was only a matter of time, see dolphins almost every time I go out and they generally get the heart racing when they all of a sudden appear alongside you :dry: ....then this weekend I finally saw my first shark, although I think I scared him more than he scared me, it was only about a 3 ft reef shark cruising along about a foot under water, came straight under my bow then did a u-turn and shot off, being bigger than him he was probably thinking he would get eaten :laugh:

We have been getting a lot of great white sightings around the area I live in, mainly by them circling recreational fishing boats in the area, I could go my whole life and be happy not to have one of those circle me offshore.

They used to think they just migrate past our coastline following the migrating whales but some new underwater detectors off our Perth coast has shown there are some tagged great whites that are hanging around our coast for months at a time :blink:

www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/tagging-pr...7932?from=public_rss

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by AR_convert.

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
13 years 3 weeks ago #6653 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:Shark off kalk bay
I was followed by a few hammerheads (sharks not ski's) on the way to the bellbuoy in PE a couple of years back. I do not care if I never see a great white (the shark not the buffalo) in its natural environment.

Latest Forum Topics