Can someone help me ID this ski

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #15809 by 7ender
Hey guys,
Iv'e had this ski for a few years now, and just moved and would like to sell it cause to be honest, I just don't use it.

Could anyone tell me what it is? I don't know anything about it and can't find any sort of markings on it.

Alternatively, what would be a fair or average price for it? Just trying to figure out what to list it for.

Thanks for the help,
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by 7ender.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15811 by [email protected]
Looks like an old Chalupski or similar! Definitely dates from the era when guys started to manufacture instead of doing the build-your-own thing. Are those the rudder lines that we can see on the deck?

As to price, the best thing to do would be to chat to some canoe shops who sell second hand skis... But I doubt you're going to get much for that old classic...

Where do you live?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 1 month ago #15812 by 7ender
Thanks!

I'm in San Diego. Yes, they are the rudder lines.

I was hoping to just list it on craigslist, or a forum so it's not as much hassle. Any idea what I should list it for? I don't even know what ballpark I should be looking at.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15825 by [email protected]
Give DeAnne and Patrick a call at Ocean Paddle Sports. They're in Costa Mesa, and should have a good idea of the best way to move it.

Ocean Paddle Sports Website

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15832 by Nige
Its definitely an old Oscar, a very old design ski and so not worth very much at all. I know Custom Kayaks used to make them at one stage (we have one at our club with their logo on it.)

They are very old, and even pre-date the "Hammerhead" generation lifesaving style surfkis.

What is it worth? Well I can't comment on elsewhere, but in SA you'd only get the equivalent of around US$50 to $75 for it if you were lucky enough to find a buyer!
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Nige.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #15833 by 7ender
If someone could give me a number value for what they think it would go for, it would be much appreciated. PM preferred.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by 7ender.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15834 by owenfromwales
Before you rush to sell it, have you taken it for a paddle yet? Yes, it`s probably heavier than most skis built nowadays, but I had one for 20 years and it was an awesome boat. They`re a bit more stable than the top end ocean skis and usually pretty sturdy in the surf, so they`re great fun for ins and outs through the surfline.
If you need some local advice, you could try Chris Barlow through the San Diego Junior Lifeguard Programme:
www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/junior/involved/kayak.shtml

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
11 years 1 month ago #15842 by FAMAGUCHI
I still have one as well and it is great. I feel safe on it anywhere and its so easy to remount. Not that slow either. Would love to race it but worry about appearance. Have an elite ski as well. Sometimes I think ski performance is a bit like the Emporers new clothes

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #15852 by Schravesande
Kayak Center made these skis in the time of Gordon Rowe. The first on the market was the Paulski. It was very stable and easy to paddle but very slow and heavy and I think that the one in the photo is a Paulski. The next was released soon after and was called the Oscarski. Much faster, lighter (relative term) and less stable. It was reasonably competative against the styrofoam skis that were in use at the time. The Oscar had its rudder lines in internal conduits and I think the Paulski had external lines as in the photo. If you are old enough to remember these skis you memory is probably not that good anymore!
I had a Paulski for about six months then changed it for an Oscarski which I used almost daily for about 9 yrs then sold it for what I paid for it!
If you are learning to paddle, you might as well use thsi ski for a while as you will learn quickly.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Schravesande.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15872 by phemmens
Its either a paulski or chalupski, probably from the late 70's or early 80's. I think Bob Twogood in Hawaii was making copies of this ski for Oscar in the 80's, so it could be from Hawaii.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15877 by owenfromwales
...and Bob King was making copies of it in Wales from mid-80s. Must have been the first truly globally made surfski!

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

Latest Forum Topics