Onno p-41 kick up rudder

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #8147 by zachhandler
I'm selling my onno p-41 kick up rudder. It's a high quality hand made carbonfiber piece hand made in the usa. Description is here:

Onno P-41

I paid US$ 300 plus an additional $25 for the mounting bracket. Additionally, I have optimized the set up for use with an epic ski. Specifically, I have added spectra lines, micro adjust turnbuckles, and an extra epic rudder clamp on a stainless steel shaft. This allows it to be changed from kick up to an understern rudder in just a couple of minutes and without having to touch the original rudder lines.

I used the rudder occasionally for one season. I am selling it because I just don't paddle in shallow water enough that I need it. As far as kick up rudders go, I think it is the best looking one out there, and with the true carbon fiber foil shape, probably the fastest of the bunch.

Compared to the epic understern weedless rudder there are some pros and cons you should bear in mind. Overall there is less drag than the epic weedless. In flat water races, My personal best with this rudder is 1 minute per hour faster that with the epic. When you hit a thick floating patch of weeds with this rudder, there barely a perceptible loss in speed. The epic, while it does shed the weeds in that situation, loses a lot of speed in doing so. The other place this rudder is superior is if there are rocks, logs, or shallows that would catch an understern rudder.

The main disadvantage to this (and any other) kick-up rudder, is that it does not turn the boat as quickly as an understern. And, because of its location on the back of the boat, it is in the air and useless when surfing anything but the smallest waves.

I'm looking for $US 200 for the rudder including the mounting bracket, lines, turnbuckles, clamp, and rudder shaft.

Photos can be seen here:

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by zachhandler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8266 by Catsailor
Hello Mr. Handler, is your Onno rudder still available?
Thanks,
Mark

More
12 years 6 months ago #8267 by zachhandler
Yes it still available. You can email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
12 years 6 months ago #8316 by zachhandler
The rudder is sold!

More
12 years 4 months ago #9040 by 2Dogs
Replied by 2Dogs on topic Re: Onno p-41 kick up rudder
Zach, Where did you get your micro adjust turnbuckles?
The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler

More
12 years 4 months ago #9067 by zachhandler
Here in the states you can buy them in most hardware store individually:

www.amazon.com/02-3426-204-STAINLESS-STE...ef=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1

Latest Forum Topics