Synergy Hybrid

More
12 years 2 months ago #9760 by Hawkey
Synergy Hybrid was created by Hawkey
Has anyone had much experience with the custom Kayaks synergy hybrid?
How would this ski by for a relative beginner looking into getting their first glass boat?
Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9761 by Perth ski chick
Replied by Perth ski chick on topic Re: Synergy Hybrid
It's not a bad ski but if you're a beginner and hoping to get out on the ocean, it will be too tippy for you. Look at the entry-level skis (XT, V10 Sport, even maybe the Think EZE, V8 if you don't have good balance).

There are lots of threads on here about ski chocie for beginners - have a search through and you'll learn heaps!

More
12 years 2 months ago #9762 by hobartpaddler
Replied by hobartpaddler on topic Re: Synergy Hybrid
I had a Synergy hybrid and found it to be a comfortable ski for my 6'1" frame. If you're paddling primarily in flat water, and have good balance, you might do fine - though expect a bit of a learning curve before you can apply full power. I found it to be significantly faster in flat water than the XT, though notably slower than the Uno and Huki S1-X. In the rough, it surfs well but is definitely tippier than the XT and similar beginner style boats. You would have more fun right away in a more stable ski. The Synergy's gunwales are high and the seat is low, so remounts - especially in lumpy water - can be difficult, especially when one gets tired or has performed multiple remounts. If I were to buy a first ski for ocean/big water paddling, it would not be a synergy. As a first ski for a safe flat water environment with small waves/wakes, and with a motivated paddler who has good balance, it would probably work... especially if the price was right.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9770 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re: Synergy Hybrid
My second ski was a Synergy Hybrid and most of what I would say would just echo Hobartpaddler, particularly the last sentence. Having paddled several skis since then I would say that it is an odd ski to some extent, mainly b/c the bucket is so deep and the paddling position is not the best. It loves runs though and is fun in conditions once your skill set advances a bit. I'd call it a true intermediate ski, not a beginner's ski. Personally, if I were looking at one now, it would lose out big time to the Fenn Swordfish, which seems to have found the sweet spot in the intermediate market.
If you're a true beginner, I'd agree that a V10 Sport, Fenn XT, Stellar SR, or Think Evo would be worth a look.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9774 by Hawkey
Replied by Hawkey on topic Re: Synergy Hybrid
Thanks for all the replies and helpful info.
Which would be the easier ski's for remounting?
If you are in the drink and can't get back in, no matter how fast your ski is, you don't go very quickly!!

More
12 years 2 months ago #9775 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re: Synergy Hybrid
V10 Sport, Fenn XT, and Think Evo are relatively easy to remount. I would suspect similar from the Stellar SR but I've not tried one. Same is true of the Swordfish.
The Synergy Hybrid takes some practice b/c the bucket is so deep. I made sure to practice the remount from time to time on it just b/c it was a bit tricky.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9780 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Re: Synergy Hybrid
Hi, you could also look at the Horizon from Custom Kayaks, maybe the focus but I would strongly recommend a stable easily remountable ski to start with. ;)

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
12 years 2 months ago #9783 by hobartpaddler
Replied by hobartpaddler on topic Re: Synergy Hybrid
A lot depends on your balance and your paddling environment. I would have been bored with an XT/v8 etc rather soon, as around here it's mostly flat water with occasional wind waves up to 1 meter, and occasionally 2 meters in the great lakes. If I were fortunate enough to live by an ocean, I'd go with the stable ski for sure, and make sure my remounts were solid. Get with some ski paddlers in your area and test drive a few different makes if you can. The local paddlers around my way helped me immensely as I jumped into the sport.

Latest Forum Topics